Alex Smith's recovery from serious leg injury. Would you come back?

Put this in a spoiler
Have any of you guys followed Alex Smith's recovery? He almost needed to have his leg amputated and had to have over 17 surgeries. A couple of days ago he was cleared for football activities.

I totally respect his perseverance, I couldn't imagine how grueling the recovery was both mentally and physically. All that being said, I don't understand why he's even attempting to come back to football. He's made well over $100m in the NFL so I doubt he needs the money.

I understand the whole "he loves football and wants to be out there with the guys" angle but at some point you've got to be smart. He's married with a whole bunch of kids, why attempt a return and risk permanently taking yourself from your family? Alex himself said he almost lost his life due to this injury.

I would just be happy knowing I had a long successful career, made a lot of money and (mostly) got out in one piece. There's no point in pushing your luck. Would you guys even try and make a comeback?

20200817_101210.jpg

20200817_074449.jpg

Last edited:
No. This is WRONG. And this is coming from someone who is more liberal in my view of players dictating their futures.

The only action he should see again is taking a knee in the victory formation and hopefully he doesn’t tear anything doing that.

That’s his leg in that pic??

Yeah, That's his leg. He was in a bad spot and he's lucky to be walking again. It's not hyperbole when he says he almost lost his leg. If I were him I wouldn't want to be on a football field ever again.

He’s not gonna play and he’s gonna get his check now. Doesn’t need the money but **** it.

Doc cleared him. He wants to play. If he plays well enough to be on a team, he should be on a team.

Would I come back. No. For all the reasons you just gave. I am also not a world class athlete who has dedicated his entire life to the game of football. As I'm assuming 99.9% of people on NT are the same none of us know what it is like to dedicate our lives to something like football or have the competitive fire to say I can come back from an injury like that. Look at Teddy Bridgewater. Initially doctors thought amputation might have to take place. Now will Alex actually play football again that remains to be seen.

What I have learned from this time of social and COVID unrest and what I believe is applicable here is that life is a series of actions and consequences. You have to be able to live with the consequences of your actions.

You got a second chance and you wanna go back out there? If he gets hit the wrong way or lands wrong its completely over for his leg. Imagine a big guy like Suh landing on that

No way in hell would I come back.. I made my money off of football, had my big injury scare and made it out the other side intact

im going home to be a family man

He looks super awkward and his legs still looks like it's about to fall off. He should call it a day

I just hope that he gets to end his career walking.

That injury and the issues after the surgery was gruesome and sad.

Glad he's getting paid though. One thing Washington front office did right.

I wish Alex's talent was on par with his heart. I wanted him to be the next great 49er QB but he was infuriating to watch. But because he is such a classy guy, he is easy to root for.

To put that pic in a spoiler man, the hell wrong with you?

He's got access to the best medicine money can buy. If the doctors say he's not at increased risk of serious injury or death by returning to playing football, then there isn't an issue here.

I look at it this way.

He was given an opportunity to keep both of his legs after a horrific injury. I wouldn't see it as, "ok, let me go out and prove I can come back." I would take it as a blessing to be able to walk again.

But that's just me. It's his decision.

Add to the fact that there isn't preseason games, I think it's fine for him to return in a controlled setting.

I've been watching this story rather closely. Watched the E:60 hour-long special. I was actually really emotional watching how bad he had it and how close he came to losing his leg. It was emotional for me as I had a life-saving operation. Had a liver transplant back on 10/7/03 at the age of 27 (I've mentioned this in the pandemic thread). My liver started to fail Jan 2002. The bile ducts were scarred and weren't filtering bile. All this was caused from ulcerative colitis (if you don't know, it's inflammation of the large intestine and bowel systems. When it's at its worst it's horrid, and I was there).

Test after test eventually landed me on the transplant waiting list on Sept 2 (my birthday of all dates). Got the magical call at 12:30 am on 10/7. After my surgery (which was really eye opening) I asked my surgeon, how much longer did I have to wait? Reluctant to answer at first, he said I had less than 2 weeks to live. When he removed my old liver, it was black (a healthy liver is a healthy shade of pink). Kinda got choked up when he said that.

Worked my was back to health and in 3 months back at work and 3 months later I did my 1st 5K (my sister signed me up for the organ donor dash in Philly without telling me). I played tennis and basketball, but I don't run run (don't have the cardio to keep going) but I did it in 32 minutes. I trained the best I could for it. So when I saw how bad Alex was and how upset his wife was and everything, it brought back a lot of emotions for me.

I for one would walk away. I know it's great to go out "your way" and not the injury way, but there is ZERO shame had he retired after all he went through. I'm a die-hard Eagles fan and Washington is a hated divisional rival, but when we're not playing then, I'll root for him if he's on the field. He seems to be a stand up guy and those are the best types to root for. 👍👍🙏🙏

Another sack where he lands on it and that already damaged leg is gonna be gone.

Back
Top Bottom