All-encompassing Cleveland Indians thread. 46 days until Opening Day.

Our yearly implosion has begun 
frown.gif

Carrasco put on the disabled list. Herrmann back up.

Still no word on whether it will be White or Huff Saturday, but it seems like there is a legitimate chance it could be White, and that is pretty refreshing.
alien.gif
laugh.gif
indifferent.gif
. I envy that.
We have it pretty good out here, man. Everything at face value is reasonable, too, which makes it even harder to figure why people refuse to come.

Carrasco put on the disabled list. Herrmann back up.

Still no word on whether it will be White or Huff Saturday, but it seems like there is a legitimate chance it could be White, and that is pretty refreshing.
alien.gif
laugh.gif
indifferent.gif
. I envy that.
We have it pretty good out here, man. Everything at face value is reasonable, too, which makes it even harder to figure why people refuse to come.

Originally Posted by Kevin Cleveland

No jinx, but the Indians are 4-0 this season when I am in attendance.

Hit a scalper for $5 tickets tonight... sat first row just past third base. I sort of like this last place attendance thing.

The Royals' center fielder made the absolute worst diving attempt in baseball history on that Orlando double.

I guess the plan is to call up an extra arm out of the pen for the next two days, and then send him back down for either Huff or White to start Saturday.
Indians 2B Orlando Cabrera, oozing confidence: "It seems like nobody else wants this division, so we're going to take it. Why not, right?"
Why not?

Holy cow
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Kevin Cleveland

No jinx, but the Indians are 4-0 this season when I am in attendance.

Hit a scalper for $5 tickets tonight... sat first row just past third base. I sort of like this last place attendance thing.

The Royals' center fielder made the absolute worst diving attempt in baseball history on that Orlando double.

I guess the plan is to call up an extra arm out of the pen for the next two days, and then send him back down for either Huff or White to start Saturday.
Indians 2B Orlando Cabrera, oozing confidence: "It seems like nobody else wants this division, so we're going to take it. Why not, right?"
Why not?

Holy cow
laugh.gif

Yeah man you can get tickets for $5 and sit pretty much wherever. I'm not done with school until June 12 but I need to get back home to go to some games.

Why not is right. Our team is playing with tremendous confidence and i am loving it.

Yeah man you can get tickets for $5 and sit pretty much wherever. I'm not done with school until June 12 but I need to get back home to go to some games.

Why not is right. Our team is playing with tremendous confidence and i am loving it.

Read the article Proshares posted on the last page.

The only issue I have right now is that he is almost being too patient. I want to see him be a hitter, but his aggression is kind of what advanced the slump. He would try to swing his way out of it early in counts, with no luck. Like the article says, it is just a matter of him making the kind of contact that he always has and getting a few to drop in. He is either rolling over or out in front of almost everything.

I mean, you have to remember he only played in the bigs for two months last season. Then he had to deal with coming back from the knee injury.

No worries here. Although, I would like to see him moved out of the cleanup spot. The pressure of being expected to produce like that surely is not helping right now.

Read the article Proshares posted on the last page.

The only issue I have right now is that he is almost being too patient. I want to see him be a hitter, but his aggression is kind of what advanced the slump. He would try to swing his way out of it early in counts, with no luck. Like the article says, it is just a matter of him making the kind of contact that he always has and getting a few to drop in. He is either rolling over or out in front of almost everything.

I mean, you have to remember he only played in the bigs for two months last season. Then he had to deal with coming back from the knee injury.

No worries here. Although, I would like to see him moved out of the cleanup spot. The pressure of being expected to produce like that surely is not helping right now.

Originally Posted by FinallyFamous

Yea?  My cousin is a huge Indians fan, maybe when he gets back from school I'll have to take him out there for a couple games.  Prefer to go to Yanks/Indians but that's not until July 4th
grin.gif

I always thought he should be in the two hole.

Originally Posted by FinallyFamous

Yea?  My cousin is a huge Indians fan, maybe when he gets back from school I'll have to take him out there for a couple games.  Prefer to go to Yanks/Indians but that's not until July 4th
grin.gif

I always thought he should be in the two hole.

Scouting report, courtesy of Indians Prospect Insider:
Born: 08/29/1988 – Height: 6'3" – Weight: 195 – Bats: Right – Throws: Right

History: White was selected by the Indians in the 1[sup]st[/sup]round of the 2009 Draft out of the University of North Carolina. Hesigned right at the August deadline for $2.25 million. He was theAtlantic Coast Conference Pitcher of the Year in 2008. Last year hefinished 2nd in the organization in ERA (2.45) and tied for 4th inwins. For his efforts last season he won the organization's Bob FellerAward, which goes to their top minor league pitcher each season. TheIndians have known him since he was in high school as area scout BobMayer followed and got to know him then.

Strengths: White is a big,strong, durable workhorse kind of pitcher with lots of athleticismfeaturing an electric plus fastball that sits at 91-94 MPH and hastouched 97 MPH. His fastball comes out of his hand free and easy withgood life and late, heavy sink to it, and he maintains his velocitywell late in games. His plus-plus splitter is his most effective pitch,and one he added to his arsenal in college. It is a strikeout weaponfor him as it has great late fade and he eats up left-handers with it.His developing slider sits at 82-85 MPH and is an inconsistent offeringthat has shown flashes of wipeout potential as an above averageoffering because of the good tilt and depth he gets when he is on withit.

White has a good feel for pitchingand how to get hitters out. He shows a good rhythm and tempo on themound and really believes in himself and has a lot of confidence in hisstuff pitching to contact. He has a loose-armed, athletic delivery andhas been a durable pitcher with no injury history. He consistentlykeeps the ball down in the zone, shows maturity beyond his years, anddisplays an advanced understanding of how to plan for and attackhitters. He has unbelievable composure with a great track record ofbeing able to pitch when under pressure. He has a great presence andtemperament on the mound as he does not try to do too much and nothingseems to speed up on him. He is extremely athletic which helps himfield his position well, repeat his delivery, and control a runninggame exceptionally well. He is a competitor who is a bulldog on themound that goes right after hitters.

White is a plus-plus makeup guy whois very intelligent, coachable, grounded, and strong in his values. Heis very open-minded about suggestions and has handled the progress andprocess of development as well as anyone the Indians have ever had. Heshows an incredible professionalism with how he approaches his bullpensand warm-ups by taking them very seriously. His worth ethic is veryconsistent and he has a lot of discipline. Off the field he isexcellent with his routines, eating habits, and his strength andconditioning.

White had a very successfulprofessional debut last season where he spent a lot of time enhancinghis pitching talents by developing other areas of his game. He bettersolidified his delivery by incorporating more of his lower half, whichin turn allowed him to more consistently command his fastball better toboth sides of the plate. His refined delivery also helped his twosecondary offerings become more effective and repeatable. Since hethrew almost an exclusive fastball-splitter mix in college, he spent alot of time last season incorporating his slider back into his pitchmix. He showed a better feel for it over the course of the season andlate in the year it even started to become a weapon for him and one hequickly gained a lot of confidence in. Even though he had two startsleft, the Indians shut him down with about a week left in the season.He had already eclipsed his innings pitched threshold of 150 innings,so they opted to protect his arm rather than have him make the finaltwo starts or send him to Triple-A Columbus for their postseason run.

White was seen by some scouts as apower reliever coming out of college because he basically abandoned hisbreaking ball and his fastball-splitter mix is more conducive to thebullpen. With his makeup, mentality, composure, and stuff he has allthe intangibles to be a successful backend reliever down the road. Allthat said, the Indians really like his athleticism and durability as astarter, especially with how he remains so strong late in his outings,so they will continue to develop him as a starter. Even if heultimately ends up in the bullpen, by starting him now he can getregular work in games and in side sessions, and have more opportunitiesto be exposed to various game situations and to develop all of hispitches regularly in an outing. The bullpen option is something theIndians have decided to keep in their back pocket as he is just morevaluable if he can start. Considering where he was taken in the draftand three potential above average pitches in his arsenal, they almosthave to see him through as a starter first before turning to thebullpen as a fallback option.

Opportunities: The entire keyto White remaining a starter is the development of his slider. He isstill trying to find a consistent feel for the pitch as it lacksconsistency in the zone. It is key for him because it adds a pitch withmore side to side movement to change the eye level of the hittersrather than everything going down in the zone, which would make hisfastball-splitter combination much more effective. He made strides withit last year, but it is still a below average offering at the momentthat the Indians have challenged him to have more consistent shape, beable to throw it for strikes, and also be able to expand the strikezone with it. He is also working through a delivery adjustment mainlyto work on repeating and smoothing out his delivery and try to throwall of his pitches for strikes to both sides of the plate. He has hadsome high pitch count, high effort innings, so he needs to get betterwith his location and being more efficient with his pitches.  While hedoes a good job of getting groundballs, he needs to develop more swingand miss to his pitches. His fastball command needs more refining, andhis splitter needs a little more consistency.

Outlook: White had a very goodprofessional debut across two different levels of the organization lastyear. He lived up to everything he was billed to be when he was takenin the 1st round of the 2009 Draft as a groundball machine (1.91 GO/AO)with the ability to miss bats and an exceptional work ethic. It wasdefinitely a banner first pro season for him, and could be a greatstepping stone to an even better year this season. He has a chance tobe a middle of the rotation starter or more, and if his slider does notdevelop the Indians know he has the ability to impact as a late inningreliever. He will spend most if not all of the 2011 season at Columbusin order to finish him off and make him a full time option in theCleveland rotation in 2012. Depending on need and his progress, hecould debut with the Indians sometime after the All Star break, butthere is a chance his debut may not come until 2012 for rostermanagement reasons. He likely will open the 2011 season at Columbus,but there is a chance he could return to Double-A Akron to start theseason. Either way, he should spend the majority of his time inColumbus this coming season.

http://www.blogger.com/

Scouting report, courtesy of Indians Prospect Insider:
Born: 08/29/1988 – Height: 6'3" – Weight: 195 – Bats: Right – Throws: Right

History: White was selected by the Indians in the 1[sup]st[/sup]round of the 2009 Draft out of the University of North Carolina. Hesigned right at the August deadline for $2.25 million. He was theAtlantic Coast Conference Pitcher of the Year in 2008. Last year hefinished 2nd in the organization in ERA (2.45) and tied for 4th inwins. For his efforts last season he won the organization's Bob FellerAward, which goes to their top minor league pitcher each season. TheIndians have known him since he was in high school as area scout BobMayer followed and got to know him then.

Strengths: White is a big,strong, durable workhorse kind of pitcher with lots of athleticismfeaturing an electric plus fastball that sits at 91-94 MPH and hastouched 97 MPH. His fastball comes out of his hand free and easy withgood life and late, heavy sink to it, and he maintains his velocitywell late in games. His plus-plus splitter is his most effective pitch,and one he added to his arsenal in college. It is a strikeout weaponfor him as it has great late fade and he eats up left-handers with it.His developing slider sits at 82-85 MPH and is an inconsistent offeringthat has shown flashes of wipeout potential as an above averageoffering because of the good tilt and depth he gets when he is on withit.

White has a good feel for pitchingand how to get hitters out. He shows a good rhythm and tempo on themound and really believes in himself and has a lot of confidence in hisstuff pitching to contact. He has a loose-armed, athletic delivery andhas been a durable pitcher with no injury history. He consistentlykeeps the ball down in the zone, shows maturity beyond his years, anddisplays an advanced understanding of how to plan for and attackhitters. He has unbelievable composure with a great track record ofbeing able to pitch when under pressure. He has a great presence andtemperament on the mound as he does not try to do too much and nothingseems to speed up on him. He is extremely athletic which helps himfield his position well, repeat his delivery, and control a runninggame exceptionally well. He is a competitor who is a bulldog on themound that goes right after hitters.

White is a plus-plus makeup guy whois very intelligent, coachable, grounded, and strong in his values. Heis very open-minded about suggestions and has handled the progress andprocess of development as well as anyone the Indians have ever had. Heshows an incredible professionalism with how he approaches his bullpensand warm-ups by taking them very seriously. His worth ethic is veryconsistent and he has a lot of discipline. Off the field he isexcellent with his routines, eating habits, and his strength andconditioning.

White had a very successfulprofessional debut last season where he spent a lot of time enhancinghis pitching talents by developing other areas of his game. He bettersolidified his delivery by incorporating more of his lower half, whichin turn allowed him to more consistently command his fastball better toboth sides of the plate. His refined delivery also helped his twosecondary offerings become more effective and repeatable. Since hethrew almost an exclusive fastball-splitter mix in college, he spent alot of time last season incorporating his slider back into his pitchmix. He showed a better feel for it over the course of the season andlate in the year it even started to become a weapon for him and one hequickly gained a lot of confidence in. Even though he had two startsleft, the Indians shut him down with about a week left in the season.He had already eclipsed his innings pitched threshold of 150 innings,so they opted to protect his arm rather than have him make the finaltwo starts or send him to Triple-A Columbus for their postseason run.

White was seen by some scouts as apower reliever coming out of college because he basically abandoned hisbreaking ball and his fastball-splitter mix is more conducive to thebullpen. With his makeup, mentality, composure, and stuff he has allthe intangibles to be a successful backend reliever down the road. Allthat said, the Indians really like his athleticism and durability as astarter, especially with how he remains so strong late in his outings,so they will continue to develop him as a starter. Even if heultimately ends up in the bullpen, by starting him now he can getregular work in games and in side sessions, and have more opportunitiesto be exposed to various game situations and to develop all of hispitches regularly in an outing. The bullpen option is something theIndians have decided to keep in their back pocket as he is just morevaluable if he can start. Considering where he was taken in the draftand three potential above average pitches in his arsenal, they almosthave to see him through as a starter first before turning to thebullpen as a fallback option.

Opportunities: The entire keyto White remaining a starter is the development of his slider. He isstill trying to find a consistent feel for the pitch as it lacksconsistency in the zone. It is key for him because it adds a pitch withmore side to side movement to change the eye level of the hittersrather than everything going down in the zone, which would make hisfastball-splitter combination much more effective. He made strides withit last year, but it is still a below average offering at the momentthat the Indians have challenged him to have more consistent shape, beable to throw it for strikes, and also be able to expand the strikezone with it. He is also working through a delivery adjustment mainlyto work on repeating and smoothing out his delivery and try to throwall of his pitches for strikes to both sides of the plate. He has hadsome high pitch count, high effort innings, so he needs to get betterwith his location and being more efficient with his pitches.  While hedoes a good job of getting groundballs, he needs to develop more swingand miss to his pitches. His fastball command needs more refining, andhis splitter needs a little more consistency.

Outlook: White had a very goodprofessional debut across two different levels of the organization lastyear. He lived up to everything he was billed to be when he was takenin the 1st round of the 2009 Draft as a groundball machine (1.91 GO/AO)with the ability to miss bats and an exceptional work ethic. It wasdefinitely a banner first pro season for him, and could be a greatstepping stone to an even better year this season. He has a chance tobe a middle of the rotation starter or more, and if his slider does notdevelop the Indians know he has the ability to impact as a late inningreliever. He will spend most if not all of the 2011 season at Columbusin order to finish him off and make him a full time option in theCleveland rotation in 2012. Depending on need and his progress, hecould debut with the Indians sometime after the All Star break, butthere is a chance his debut may not come until 2012 for rostermanagement reasons. He likely will open the 2011 season at Columbus,but there is a chance he could return to Double-A Akron to start theseason. Either way, he should spend the majority of his time inColumbus this coming season.

http://www.blogger.com/

It would be nice for a 1st round pick to turn out to be a big time player. or at least make a substantiated impact.

Entirely too early for this, but nice to see the rest of the division continue to struggle.

It would be nice for a 1st round pick to turn out to be a big time player. or at least make a substantiated impact.

Entirely too early for this, but nice to see the rest of the division continue to struggle.

Back
Top Bottom