All this LeBron/MJ talk REALLY makes me appreciate Wayne Gretzky's dominance...

50 goals in 39 games,42 and 49 games...61 in 50 games,twice
30t6p3b.gif

Gretzky's stretch from '79 to '92 might be the single most dominant stretch in the history of sports. The man put up INSANE numbers during that time while also winning 4 cups. Gretzky is the GOAT and I don't even think that anyone will surpass him in my lifetime. Crosby was on a amazing pace before getting injured and he wasn't even close to being on Waynes pace.

Lemiux was a great player and could've been even greater had he not missed all the time he did but to say that he's better is absolutely ludicrous.

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

Originally Posted by Son of Troy

Mario Lemiuex GOAT.

The great one just played in more games.
Sounds like you're just going against the grain for the sake of. Nobody in their right mind with hockey knowledge believes that. Mario is my favorite player and while I do believe he is close to Wayne, he's not better by any stretch of the imagination.

Im not just going against the grain.

his stat TOTALS dont bear it out but his Per game numbers do...

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/font][/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Highest Goals per Game Average, Career (Min 200 Career Goals)[/font][/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1- .768-Mario Lemieux[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/font]
[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Highest Points per Game Average, Career (Min 500 Points)[/font][/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1- 1.921-Wayne Gretzky
2- 1.913-Mario Lemieux
[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/font]

No disrespect, but if that's all you got for your argument, you have already lost. Have you ever played hockey, if not do you consider yourself a knowledgeable fan? The reason I ask is because anyone who knows the sport inside and out & more importantly has played knows what Wayne did was truly on another level. Like aforementioned he was never the strongest or fastest on the ice, he was clearly the smartest. Wayne saw the game differently than anyone and the results were in his numbers. Mario was an amazing player as well and definitely top 5 of all time.

Originally Posted by Son of Troy

Mario Lemiuex GOAT.

The great one just played in more games.
Sounds like you're just going against the grain for the sake of. Nobody in their right mind with hockey knowledge believes that. Mario is my favorite player and while I do believe he is close to Wayne, he's not better by any stretch of the imagination.

Im not just going against the grain.

his stat TOTALS dont bear it out but his Per game numbers do...

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/font][/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Highest Goals per Game Average, Career (Min 200 Career Goals)[/font][/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1- .768-Mario Lemieux[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/font]
[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Highest Points per Game Average, Career (Min 500 Points)[/font][/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1- 1.921-Wayne Gretzky
2- 1.913-Mario Lemieux
[/font]

No disrespect, but if that's all you got for your argument, you have already lost. Have you ever played hockey, if not do you consider yourself a knowledgeable fan? The reason I ask is because anyone who knows the sport inside and out & more importantly has played knows what Wayne did was truly on another level. Like aforementioned he was never the strongest or fastest on the ice, he was clearly the smartest. Wayne saw the game differently than anyone and the results were in his numbers. Mario was an amazing player as well and definitely top 5 of all time.

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

Originally Posted by iNiNe5

i've watched #99 and #66 play in their prime.... there were certain seasons where #66 was hands down the best player (remember 160 pts in 60 games?)... he just didn't do it as consistently as #99.... he suffered too many injuries in his career and played 1/3 of it during the time of clutch and grab hockey whereas gretzky played in the run and gun 80's where defencemen were scoring 100 pts/season...

Gretzky & Lemieux pretty much played in the same era.  And there was ONE 100 point scorer from defense in Gretzky's 5 years (before Lemieux got to town).  Let's not make it seem like the NHL was all that different.  Also, even with Lemieux's 160 in 60, he was still off the PPG pace that Gretzky had when he scored 215.  It's always fun to speculate what type of career Lemieux would have had if he didn't go through all the ailments, but even if he was healthy, I'd say he'd still be #2 behind Gretzky.  There's a WIDE gap because of the injuries/sickness, but it might have been closer if he stayed healthy. 
not saying lemieux is better than gretzky, it's just that some people seemed to be saying there's a huge gap and using the stats to back up their argument. if that's what people want to use, then 1/3 of #66 was in the clutch and grab era (in the same division as the Devils as well) and injuries and missing 3 seasons to cancer plays a role. if you focus on certain individual seasons, it was closer, like a kobe/lebron or brady/manning type comparison....
the whole 66 vs. 99 argument was exactly like a kobe/lebron/brady/manning thing back in the day. but the general consensus at least amongst my peers was that Gretzky was a smarter player in terms of visualizing plays and getting the puck to the right spots, Lemieux was more skilled overall and physical and a tougher player to defend.....

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

Originally Posted by iNiNe5

i've watched #99 and #66 play in their prime.... there were certain seasons where #66 was hands down the best player (remember 160 pts in 60 games?)... he just didn't do it as consistently as #99.... he suffered too many injuries in his career and played 1/3 of it during the time of clutch and grab hockey whereas gretzky played in the run and gun 80's where defencemen were scoring 100 pts/season...

Gretzky & Lemieux pretty much played in the same era.  And there was ONE 100 point scorer from defense in Gretzky's 5 years (before Lemieux got to town).  Let's not make it seem like the NHL was all that different.  Also, even with Lemieux's 160 in 60, he was still off the PPG pace that Gretzky had when he scored 215.  It's always fun to speculate what type of career Lemieux would have had if he didn't go through all the ailments, but even if he was healthy, I'd say he'd still be #2 behind Gretzky.  There's a WIDE gap because of the injuries/sickness, but it might have been closer if he stayed healthy. 
not saying lemieux is better than gretzky, it's just that some people seemed to be saying there's a huge gap and using the stats to back up their argument. if that's what people want to use, then 1/3 of #66 was in the clutch and grab era (in the same division as the Devils as well) and injuries and missing 3 seasons to cancer plays a role. if you focus on certain individual seasons, it was closer, like a kobe/lebron or brady/manning type comparison....
the whole 66 vs. 99 argument was exactly like a kobe/lebron/brady/manning thing back in the day. but the general consensus at least amongst my peers was that Gretzky was a smarter player in terms of visualizing plays and getting the puck to the right spots, Lemieux was more skilled overall and physical and a tougher player to defend.....

agreed that super mario was better from a pure offensive skill standpoint. think ovi v the kid in modern day terms.

but in terms of the GOAT...its the great one hands down. the numbers are just
sick.gif

and his mental game unmatched. KNEW where the puck was going to be. saw things no one else saw. i wish i got to see him play in his edmonton days. i probably did but i obviously don't remember it being like 3 or 4 years old.

agreed that super mario was better from a pure offensive skill standpoint. think ovi v the kid in modern day terms.

but in terms of the GOAT...its the great one hands down. the numbers are just
sick.gif

and his mental game unmatched. KNEW where the puck was going to be. saw things no one else saw. i wish i got to see him play in his edmonton days. i probably did but i obviously don't remember it being like 3 or 4 years old.

Super Mario was amazing, and is easily one of the greatest players i've ever seen, but he like everyone else was playing checkers. The Great One was the only guy out there playing chess.

Super Mario was amazing, and is easily one of the greatest players i've ever seen, but he like everyone else was playing checkers. The Great One was the only guy out there playing chess.

Back
Top Bottom