Almost 3 months in and i gotta say...working at footlocker is awesome.

I think I remember your thread, one dude said "enjoy minimum wage + 1% commission".

Glad you're enjoying it.

I get a lot of hours and I'm the top salesman. I'm hoping to get moved up to AM then store manager and eventually becoming district manager
EddieMurphyCTA-1.jpg

[color= rgb(51, 51, 51)]
[/color]

He got that ambition, baby look in his eyes
This week he’s moppin’ floors, next week it’s the fries

I get a lot of hours and I'm the top salesman. I'm hoping to get moved up to AM then store manager and eventually becoming district manager
EddieMurphyCTA-1.jpg

[color= rgb(51, 51, 51)]
[/color]

He got that ambition, baby look in his eyes
This week he’s moppin’ floors, next week it’s the fries

Originally Posted by MrWavez

I made a thread a while back. Y'all remember? I was saying that I got an interview then I made another saying I finally got the job. Mannn...its awesome I still don't know why some of y'all were saying that working there sucks. I get a lot of hours and I'm the top salesman. I'm hoping to get moved up to AM then store manager and eventually becoming district manager(gotta research how much guap they making though)later on in life...but yea. Love this job. Any other employees feel the way I do?
Oh you naive lil newbies.  Gotta love the ambition though
laugh.gif

I worked there for over 4 years at 3 different stores.  Worked under 2 DMs, maybe 7 managers, and God knows how many AMs, FTs, and PTs.  Your experience depends HEAVILY on your manager.  Hypocritical and passive managers are the WORST because you ultimately end up picking up someone else's load.  Be it other PTs or theirs.

I was hired as a stock boy but did sales too.  Started at 7/hr but got bumped to 8.25 after a couple months because the AM that took over my 1st store could only depend on me.  Son looked out for me
pimp.gif
.  Salesmen were started at 6.15 + $1 per $100 sold commission.  EA was also a great side bonus
nerd.gif

In my experience, the BS outweighed the good times.  Bad audits, in-store thieves,  surviving mass firings, holiday season rush
sick.gif
.  My 2nd DM tried to lower my pay after I worked open-close everyday during Spring Break week.  Made more than the manager that week
laugh.gif
.  Wanted to convert me to FT but I had school plus I would have made less...  Outside of all that I met a lot of cool people.  Some I'm still cool with to this day. 

Eventually the BS got to be too much and I needed to focus on school so I left.  Saved up enough money to survive for a while.  Retail sucks period no matter where you work.  But as long as you got a cool and capable staff then it's not as bad.

I wish you the best man but just know 3 months is no time.  You'll have your ups and downs.  Just dont say I (we) never told you so      

I made a thread a while back. Y'all remember? I was saying that I got an interview then I made another saying I finally got the job. Mannn...its awesome I still don't know why some of y'all were saying that working there sucks. I get a lot of hours and I'm the top salesman. I'm hoping to get moved up to AM then store manager and eventually becoming district manager(gotta research how much guap they making though)later on in life...but yea. Love this job. Any other employees feel the way I do?
Oh you naive lil newbies.  Gotta love the ambition though
laugh.gif

I worked there for over 4 years at 3 different stores.  Worked under 2 DMs, maybe 7 managers, and God knows how many AMs, FTs, and PTs.  Your experience depends HEAVILY on your manager.  Hypocritical and passive managers are the WORST because you ultimately end up picking up someone else's load.  Be it other PTs or theirs.

I was hired as a stock boy but did sales too.  Started at 7/hr but got bumped to 8.25 after a couple months because the AM that took over my 1st store could only depend on me.  Son looked out for me
pimp.gif
.  Salesmen were started at 6.15 + $1 per $100 sold commission.  EA was also a great side bonus
nerd.gif

In my experience, the BS outweighed the good times.  Bad audits, in-store thieves,  surviving mass firings, holiday season rush
sick.gif
.  My 2nd DM tried to lower my pay after I worked open-close everyday during Spring Break week.  Made more than the manager that week
laugh.gif
.  Wanted to convert me to FT but I had school plus I would have made less...  Outside of all that I met a lot of cool people.  Some I'm still cool with to this day. 

Eventually the BS got to be too much and I needed to focus on school so I left.  Saved up enough money to survive for a while.  Retail sucks period no matter where you work.  But as long as you got a cool and capable staff then it's not as bad.

I wish you the best man but just know 3 months is no time.  You'll have your ups and downs.  Just dont say I (we) never told you so      

Originally Posted by scshift

What's your job like and how old do you have to be to work there? I really want a job at a footlocker/finishline/niketown but there aren't any close to me and I'm clueless as to what it's like.

I have a bad feeling though that all I'm going to be dealing with is kids who want to try on jordans but never end up having the cash to buy them. Does look fun though.

Its cool bro. All u gotta be is 16...I just turned 17. Yea that does happen where the kids just try on *!%! and leave but its not very often plus its still good to let them try stuff on cuz they usually come back with their parents. And honestly bro the job is how you make it. If you work hard and hustle you will get top notch hours and pay. If you slouch and be lazy u'll be stuck with little hours and wack pay. And if you do decide to apply go for the most busiest mall around. I'm in houston and our busiest mall is the galleria(plus they got a house of hoops) but I'm in the 2nd busiest(somewhat) mall. Sbut yea its realy fun being around shoes and u learn a lot of stuff.
Yeah the closest one to me is in the next town over, I'm thinking about applying there over the summer because the commute right now is too time consuming. What do you do when it's quiet, like late at night? Just chill with the coworkers?

Originally Posted by scshift

What's your job like and how old do you have to be to work there? I really want a job at a footlocker/finishline/niketown but there aren't any close to me and I'm clueless as to what it's like.

I have a bad feeling though that all I'm going to be dealing with is kids who want to try on jordans but never end up having the cash to buy them. Does look fun though.

Its cool bro. All u gotta be is 16...I just turned 17. Yea that does happen where the kids just try on *!%! and leave but its not very often plus its still good to let them try stuff on cuz they usually come back with their parents. And honestly bro the job is how you make it. If you work hard and hustle you will get top notch hours and pay. If you slouch and be lazy u'll be stuck with little hours and wack pay. And if you do decide to apply go for the most busiest mall around. I'm in houston and our busiest mall is the galleria(plus they got a house of hoops) but I'm in the 2nd busiest(somewhat) mall. Sbut yea its realy fun being around shoes and u learn a lot of stuff.
Yeah the closest one to me is in the next town over, I'm thinking about applying there over the summer because the commute right now is too time consuming. What do you do when it's quiet, like late at night? Just chill with the coworkers?

3 months?  of course you still love it you arent involved in any of the politics yet lol

k ill keep its real for ya brah..

i started as a peeon at footlocker and moved up to asm and then manager in training before i decided to call it quits.

working at footlocker is cool if you have no financial responsibilities and have little to no actual bills to pay which i didnt at the time.  as an ASM i was making salary of $250/week plus 5% commision.  i was the top sales person at each store i worked at and still was making less than $20k per year. 

its definitely not worth it considering the hours you have to put in.  i worked numerous open to close shifts, 50+ hours a week and bringing home a measley $650 paycheck or less just isnt worth the hours and effort.  oh yeah doing inventory sucks major balls and especially working inventory at a store that isnt even yours and not getting paid for it...that will happen on the regular my friend...those are the type of things that will be expected of you..

take it for what it is - a job to earn a little cash while you are in high school or college

take advantage of your discount and even swipe some freebies if you get a chance lol...

enjoy the mall culture and all that but dont make a career out of it my friend the job and pay are not worth the hours and responsibility - get you @$* in school and get a REAL job

3 months?  of course you still love it you arent involved in any of the politics yet lol

k ill keep its real for ya brah..

i started as a peeon at footlocker and moved up to asm and then manager in training before i decided to call it quits.

working at footlocker is cool if you have no financial responsibilities and have little to no actual bills to pay which i didnt at the time.  as an ASM i was making salary of $250/week plus 5% commision.  i was the top sales person at each store i worked at and still was making less than $20k per year. 

its definitely not worth it considering the hours you have to put in.  i worked numerous open to close shifts, 50+ hours a week and bringing home a measley $650 paycheck or less just isnt worth the hours and effort.  oh yeah doing inventory sucks major balls and especially working inventory at a store that isnt even yours and not getting paid for it...that will happen on the regular my friend...those are the type of things that will be expected of you..

take it for what it is - a job to earn a little cash while you are in high school or college

take advantage of your discount and even swipe some freebies if you get a chance lol...

enjoy the mall culture and all that but dont make a career out of it my friend the job and pay are not worth the hours and responsibility - get you @$* in school and get a REAL job

Way to keep positive, OP. A lot of people aren't satisfied with their situation and will try to eliminate your enthusiasm. 

Before I started my current job people told me how much I'd despise my job. 5 yrs into it and I still love what I do.

Way to keep positive, OP. A lot of people aren't satisfied with their situation and will try to eliminate your enthusiasm. 

Before I started my current job people told me how much I'd despise my job. 5 yrs into it and I still love what I do.

It's just a shoe store.

Nothing exciting, unless you're 17 & think you're cool, 'cause of the shoes you can get.

Worked at FNL for 2 years...being around shoes all the time killed the shoe "game" for me.

Find a better job.

It's just a shoe store.

Nothing exciting, unless you're 17 & think you're cool, 'cause of the shoes you can get.

Worked at FNL for 2 years...being around shoes all the time killed the shoe "game" for me.

Find a better job.

I don't think I've ever met a human being in my life who actually went into retail wind the mindset of making it a career move.

I don't think I've ever met a human being in my life who actually went into retail wind the mindset of making it a career move.

Footlocker is a good job depending on who your manager and co workers are .

But the thing i hate is how they try to get you to sell unrealistic amounts of BS such as cleaners ETC ETC ETC . You can only do so much , and i have been with the company since around 07.

Its a good part time hustle where you can slang your 50 on the EA's but everything else aint all gravy man , wait till you get bumped to a Sales lead and they try to get you to do everything a store
manager does for 8.25 an hour .

Footlocker is a good job depending on who your manager and co workers are .

But the thing i hate is how they try to get you to sell unrealistic amounts of BS such as cleaners ETC ETC ETC . You can only do so much , and i have been with the company since around 07.

Its a good part time hustle where you can slang your 50 on the EA's but everything else aint all gravy man , wait till you get bumped to a Sales lead and they try to get you to do everything a store
manager does for 8.25 an hour .

Let's see if your sentiments are the same AFTER the holiday shopping season.

Let's see if your sentiments are the same AFTER the holiday shopping season.

Back
Top Bottom