Am I crazy or is Lamar Odom extremely talented?

Originally Posted by swyftdahoe

Originally Posted by Im Not You

Originally Posted by airmaxpenny1

Talent is the ability to consistently show up which he doesn't.
laugh.gif
I love these self made definitions on here.
lol
Odom is easily a top 5 talent. It's just that his mind's not all there. He's more talented than KG without the hunger and work ethic.

Top 5?
roll.gif
roll.gif

roll.gif
roll.gif

Originally Posted by westcoastsfinest

Originally Posted by The Game is a Foot

Originally Posted by Scottsauce88

Originally Posted by SupraTurbo619

Originally Posted by westcoastsfinest

he is the most talented player on the Lakers...but he doesnt show up every game

What?

So he can handle the ball, shoot and play defense better than Kobe now?

I dont agree with the most talented player on the team, but shooting is more a skill than a natural ability.

I agree with westcoast somewhat.

Lamar has more natural ability than Kobe, thus he is "arguably" more talented. But Kobe UTILIZES his skills and talent more efficiently than anybody in the league, which is why Kobe is the BEST player on his team and in the league.

word...kobe works on his game thats why he is the best player on the team...he works his shooting..defense and he does have that killer instinct and agression...for odom everything has the skill and talent to be the best player but he doesnt work on it...odom has the talent to play all 5 positions...he is a mismatch for anyone out there...he can make your bigs defend him out of the paint and he can work them off the dribble...his length and height can be too much for the smalls...if you can get the rebound and run the break on the other end now thats talent!...his unselfishness is also one of his strengths...if he worked on his defense consistently hed be even dangerous...only if he realized no one on the court can guard him the skys the limit for him
I think the word talent is being misconstrued.

Odom's physical makeup > Odom's talent.

He was given a body ready made for basketball and he was given a mind and will made for a stoner.

Lamar doesn't have the most talent on the Laker Squad. It's not even close... Kobe Bryant is the most talented player on that team and probably inthe league. Kobe excels because he works but don't be fooled into thinking that's the only reason why he is good. He has God given talents andabilities. Lamar could put in the same amount of work as Kobe, Work side-by side with the Mamba for each rep, and that will not help his biggest problem, andthat problem is located between his ears.
The fact that Lamar refuses to use his right hand tells me one thing. He lacks confidence. Players will always go back to what they feel comfortable with, andfor him his left hand is his security blanket. Most players learn to use both hands early in life, and I am sure he did also. He has the talent to be a numberone guy but he can not handle the pressure, which is why he consistently defers to his team mates. It has nothing to do with his abilities.
Top 50 all time, I don't think so.
It shouldn't take K.G. punking him in front of millions in last year's NBA Finals to jump start your heart.
The fact that he isn't a number one guy will cost him financially, and he will return to the Lakers next year, because that is what is comfortable forhim.

Lamar Odom and T-Mac are players that come to mind. Elite skill sets that never put it all together. After a while potential runs out.

Originally Posted by Lizaker4Lizife

the fact that he is so talented and almost 10 years in the league

but still can't go right to save his life or finish with his right hand

baffles me

QFT, why did OP even make this thread?
laugh.gif
...Dudes in here spewing he has top 5 talent in the L, TOP 5!? Really now?????!
2af0lza.jpg

P.S.: If he has "top 5" in the L type of talent, then this dude is the biggest waste of life in sports...

It's clear some of you guys are missing the point. It isn't to say he IS a top 50 player in the league...just that his talent is there. I don'tdisagree one bit that his mind is his biggest problem. I just posed the question because SOME people think it's preposterous to say he's more talentedthan pretty much everyone in the league. The only people that come to mind with better skillsets are Kobe, Melo, and Durant....maybe Bron also can't reallyargue that. So yes that would make him a huge failure...so there really was no need to point that out. Pretty sure everyone knew that at this point. He'snot a player who should have had a "good" career. The only reason the word potential was even brought up was to say when he plays at the level heshould nightly...there aren't more than 10 players better than him...maybe not even 5.

Originally Posted by raptors29

Lamar Odom and T-Mac are players that come to mind. Elite skill sets that never put it all together. After a while potential runs out.
Tmac is not in the same category as Odom. Tmac DID put it together.. he was a multiple All-Star. Odom will never make an All-Star or All-NBA teamin his career, which is just sad.

Originally Posted by I NaSmatic I

LO is one of the most skilled players in the NBA I've ever seen. Problem is/was that he is not consistent and lacked the drive to go to that next level. You watch him play, you have to think to yourself this guy can do everything on the floor. Good athlete, decent jump shot, adequate post game, very good handles, great rebounder, very good passer and a solid defender. If he had focused more early on in his career till now, he'd probably be where Kevin Garnett or LeBron James are right now.

Still had a good career when it's all said and done, but he could have accomplished so much more.

Originally Posted by The Game is a Foot

Life gives you lemons, you make lemonade...

Lamar chose to eat lemonheads.
tired.gif
roll.gif

Whoever said that Lamar played well because it was a contract year, take another look at his numbers. They aren't much different from past seasons...

I agree with the OP. The reason Lamar is my favorite player is because of his versatility. At 6'10", he moves like a guard and can box out big menfor a rebound. He definitely has a top-5 skill set in the league.

I will always see Odom as an underachiever who could have done a lot more. That being said, he's still my favorite Laker.

Originally Posted by Drunken Cow

Are we talking about the same Odom that got dropped 18 points in the first quarter by scola?
Does that have anything to do with his talent?

My man Rasheed Wallace could be a beast also, but part of me feels like he doesnt play hard most of the time

Although ODOM benefitted from going to L.A. , it kinda held him back from showcasing his full abilities...

KOBE dominates the ball a lot, which he should...

But if LAMAR had the ball in his hands a lot night in and night out IM ALMOST CERTAIN he wouldve had some ridiculous games...

Alot of people forget the year that Lamar had with the Heat. I don't know how good it was stats-wise, but folks were talking non-stop about how Lamar hadreinvented himself from the Clipper days.

Originally Posted by pdoggy85

Alot of people forget the year that Lamar had with the Heat. I don't know how good it was stats-wise, but folks were talking non-stop about how Lamar had reinvented himself from the Clipper days.
He was a borderline All Star that season.

Originally Posted by gko2408

So who has more raw talent -- Rasheed or Odom?

Defense: Rasheed
Rebouding: Lamar
Passing: Lamar
Shooting: Rasheed
Dribbling: Lamar
Overall Offensive Game: Lamar

I'd give it to Lamar he can do more than Rasheed

potential and talent top 50 all time... effort top 3000? If he brought it every night he can average 20-10-5. So yes he is top NBA player if he tried but sincehe doesn't no.

Back
Top Bottom