am i liable vol. sold car on craigslist

its a 1992 Mitsubishi Eclipse..

he called me back later last night, saying the problem might be the "coolant temperature sensor"

which I know we had previous issues with, but nothing to the point where the Car would over heat.

I'm thinking he drove it crazy right after he bought it, to see what the car was working with, and it just over heated.

He claims to check it out today, and renegotiate if it cost too much to fix, but i'm not budging on the price.

I know the part cost $20 so we'll how this ends up. thx for the replies

Sounds like you got lucky as hell...with that being said I hope you didn't meet him at ur crib or nuthin
laugh.gif
that could get annoying

Originally Posted by airheaddd

Originally Posted by Tego Calderon El Abayarde

He knows where you live OP. Better have the musket on you at all times
i'm not about that life, but he's nothing to worry about.
i just want to get the deal done, so i can get my next whip as smooth as possible

Originally Posted by famenycity1

your good op, he can turn around and sue you on the ground no contract is made. plus the sale of goods over $500 has to be in a written contract not verbal, check your state last homie...might be some loopholes though
The CL ad + email accepting to buy should be enough to satisfy that. Could be trouble if the correspondence was done over the phone though. Even text messages could be enough to be considered "in writing," today. As long as there was a signature on something at some point and all the discussion obviously was about the sale of the car in question, you should be able to get around the SOF thing.

The "as is" issue could be a problem, too. Depends on the state/judge though. Usually, there needs to be a disclaimer of warranty otherwise there could be an implied one that would suggest that the car should work to expectation--a 20 year old car shouldn't be expected to work too well though. Also, you could argue that the usual commercial dealings on CL are done "as is" and expecting otherwise is unreasonable.

I'm not completely familiar with "lemon laws" but I think it's where the consumer has x amount of days to return the car if it has some substantial issue that he wasn't notified of at the time of purchase. If you brought it up before he bought it, that could help. If you didn't, he could claim that you did a misrepresentation in the dealings and could rescind the contract. Usually, that would just mean you'll have to give him the money back and he'd give you the burnt out car back.

Y'all's agreement to renegotiate on the price after getting the repairs quoted or whatever is most likely worthless because agreeing to negotiate isn't a contract. 

Keep in mind, this is just my interpretation based on the info I saw in the thread and I'm not yet an attorney so this is just my opinion on how it could turn out from my understanding of the law.

is there anyway possible to eject a cd out of a car stereo that is removed from the car?

my drake cd is inside, and i wanted to listen to it on the way to the concert tonight lol

Ain't no way in hell you sold the car for 900 if it wasn't giving you problems cut it out

when i sold my car i had a bill of sale signed just to make sure.(cali)
next time you sell a car but your straight

I learned about liability in law class a few weeks ago.  You're not liable if the car had no previous mechanical issues and hasn't been in an accident.  This is assuming you're telling the truth.  He might still be awarded some money since they will think you neglected to tell him of any potential issues with the car.

Originally Posted by blazinRook

is there anyway possible to eject a cd out of a car stereo that is removed from the car?

my drake cd is inside, and i wanted to listen to it on the way to the concert tonight lol

laugh.gif

Hook it up to a battery?

take the radio apart............

or hook it up to a battery
wink.gif

Originally Posted by RealRubirosa

Originally Posted by famenycity1

your good op, he can turn around and sue you on the ground no contract is made. plus the sale of goods over $500 has to be in a written contract not verbal, check your state last homie...might be some loopholes though
The CL ad + email accepting to buy should be enough to satisfy that. Could be trouble if the correspondence was done over the phone though. Even text messages could be enough to be considered "in writing," today. As long as there was a signature on something at some point and all the discussion obviously was about the sale of the car in question, you should be able to get around the SOF thing.

The "as is" issue could be a problem, too. Depends on the state/judge though. Usually, there needs to be a disclaimer of warranty otherwise there could be an implied one that would suggest that the car should work to expectation--a 20 year old car shouldn't be expected to work too well though. Also, you could argue that the usual commercial dealings on CL are done "as is" and expecting otherwise is unreasonable.

I'm not completely familiar with "lemon laws" but I think it's where the consumer has x amount of days to return the car if it has some substantial issue that he wasn't notified of at the time of purchase. If you brought it up before he bought it, that could help. If you didn't, he could claim that you did a misrepresentation in the dealings and could rescind the contract. Usually, that would just mean you'll have to give him the money back and he'd give you the burnt out car back.

Y'all's agreement to renegotiate on the price after getting the repairs quoted or whatever is most likely worthless because agreeing to negotiate isn't a contract. 

Keep in mind, this is just my interpretation based on the info I saw in the thread and I'm not yet an attorney so this is just my opinion on how it could turn out from my understanding of the law.
Someone did well in contracts class!! But I agree with everything you're sayin'!!

mane i say just tell ya boy get on down with the nonesense he bought the car so keep pushing

Originally Posted by oso23

Last couple of cars I sold I made the buyer sign a paper stating sold as is.

this i always give a bill of sale for the price the info of the car and who it was sold to...got a whole file on cars ive bought and sold

I don't think you'll have any issues or be liable for anything. Car was sold as is and thats it. I was planning on selling my whip soon and was thinking of craigslist but i'm also having second thoughts for situations just like this. If the car "suddenly" broke down with the new owner dude would know where i live etc. Don't even know if it would be worth it.

If you knowingly deceived/defrauded the buyer, than yes, you're liable. Otherwise, the sale is implied to be "as-is", and is the responsibility of the buyer to check the condition.

its a drake cd so you dont really need it back. but there should be a small pin hole somewhere in the area you put the cd in. push a safety pin or paper clip in the hole and it should eject.

Back
Top Bottom