Matt Day
Giles Turner
, and
Natalia Drozdiak
April 24, 2019, 11:21 AM CDT
  • Some members of Alexa Data Services see latitude and longitude
  • The team is charged with helping Alexa improve its performance

Amazon Alexa Reviewers Can Access Home Addresses of Customers

An Amazon.com Inc. team auditing Alexa users’ commands has access to location data and can, in some cases, easily find a customer’s home address, according to five employees familiar with the program.

The team, spread across three continents, transcribes, annotates and analyzes a portion of the voice recordings picked up by Alexa. The program, whose existence Bloomberg revealed earlier this month, was set up to help Amazon’s digital voice assistant get better at understanding and responding to commands.

Team members with access to Alexa users’ geographic coordinates can easily type them into third-party mapping software and find home residences, according to the employees, who signed nondisclosure agreements barring them from speaking publicly about the program.

While there’s no indication Amazon employees with access to the data have attempted to track down individual users, two members of the Alexa team expressed concern to Bloomberg that Amazon was granting unnecessarily broad access to customer data that would make it easy to identify a device’s owner.

I use the echo dot at my house. It’s pretty cool

My address isn’t really anything important so whatever

Dudes really paying money to bug their own houses

Don't even care about addresses, that thing picking up on your convos and sending them to Amazon is :sick:

for the life of me i have no idea why someone would willfully want this in their home, but then again we all have smartphones & i definitely believe those are picking up on convos
Yeah, if you have a smartphone i am sure they are already listening.

for the life of me i have no idea why someone would willfully want this in their home, but then again we all have smartphones & i definitely believe those are picking up on convos

It's not "believe." They are. A friend of mine was dressed as Lieutenant Dan for Halloween and someone mentioned about how they should have gotten a wheelchair to complete the costume. Ads for wheelchairs popped up on my IG feed the same night.

It's not "believe." They are. A friend of mine was dressed as Lieutenant Dan for Halloween and someone mentioned about how they should have gotten a wheelchair to complete the costume. Ads for wheelchairs popped up on my IG feed the same night.

Multi billion dollar companies recording our private conversations just to try to sell us ****

I miss pre internet days

They’re absolutely listening, without a doubt. We received one as a gift and just use it to play kid songs for my daughter. I was once asking my daughter what she wanted to eat and Alexa responded out of nowhere, “I’ll have a cheesesteak with a side of fries,” wallahi. Joint had me spooked.

What phone do you have?

Reminds me of that Simpson episode where the house is alive

latest

Creepy as hell. Probably listens to me fap and sends the info of the movie I'm watching to the XXX companies for research and marketing.

If they are listening.... SNKRs, give me a W!

For real though, I’ve had similar where something that was just talked about pops up as an ad. I’m on iPhone.

Sometimes it seem a like it’s something that wasn’t even said but just thought about.

Phones are definitely listening to us though.

Back
Top Bottom