Amazon's HQ2 Probably Headed to Northern Virginia (Crystal City)

VA has had a crazy brewery boom in the past few years. Wish me and my dudes got into it when we were brewing in the garage.
Stone. Green flash. New Belgium. Ballast point all within that region. Deschutes had Eastern plans before falling back. Incentives for the bigger parties has to be huge.

Honestly, no individual should be happy about Amazon setting up shop in their town/city.

Amazon is proof that capitalism is a terrible system. Bezos worth billions upon billions, meanwhile the average warehouse employee is barely getting by as far as income is concerned. In the past, these exploited workers could at least hang their hats on the social safety nets that were specifically designed and put in place to support the impoverished. Except now, there is barely a safety net. Instead of investing in the well being of people, our towns and cities are instead throwing our tax dollars dollars at flush companies like Amazon via lush incentives. Amazon, being hip to the game, took this to the next level: they held a competition to see which town/city could throw the most cash and incentives their way. The only entities that come out on top here are Amazon, Bezos, and those privileged enough to be shareholders (me, admittedly, via my retirement account). Everyone else is competing in a race to the bottom.

We living in a new Gilded Age and we don't even see it.

Summary of Bezos' dealings in the Northern VA area
But Bezos, an actual mogul, has also been making moves in Washington, none more high-profile than his purchase of the Washington Post, in 2013. More quietly, Amazon is investing heavily in the area. Fairfax County, Virginia, is now home to the East Coast campus for Amazon’s cloud-computing arm, Amazon Web Services, which is widely expected to win a contract with the Department of Defense worth ten billion dollars a year. About five miles away, in Loudoun County, Amazon is building a six-hundred-thousand-square-foot data center to anchor the company’s nearly thirty centers in the area. Between May and July, Amazon, advertised more than eight hundred jobs in the Washington area, most in Northern Virginia. That’s more openings than the company has advertised anywhere else in the country, save Seattle, its headquarters and original corporate office.

https://www.newyorker.com/news/news...-washington-the-second-headquarters-of-amazon

^my area was happy trying to try and get a Tesla battery plant and a smaller Amazon facility. I think they have a fb facility or something. Huge amount of incentives keeping all big businesses in their current areas. Even the holy Grail localized breweries aren't immune to try and get the best deal. It's ugly stuff for the most part.

It's honestly never truly a great thing for the workers. Lots of government workers shaping it to be something it's not.

Amazon is already hiring for the location. Glad they didn't come to atlanta. I'm trying to get me a few rental units first.
Im REALLY happy it didnt come to Atlanta. Alot of areas/places are already priced higher than they need to be. Not tryna have ATL looking like SFO any time soon.

It makes sense for them to place hq2 in Virginia due to the proximity of Washington,DC they can influence the already high income population with their services. As well have their lobbyists line up the pockets of corrupt politicians who will bend over to give them tax breaks.

Currently live in DC and work in VA, definitely not looking forward to the increase in traffic. With that said, the DMV is a pretty large metro area and it’s nornal for people to commute from MD to NoVa, DC to MD and vice versa. So an additional 50-80k people in a metro with more than 5 million people is not that bad.

Currently live in DC and work in VA, definitely not looking forward to the increase in traffic. With that said, the DMV is a pretty large metro area and it’s nornal for people to commute from MD to NoVa, DC to MD and vice versa. So an additional 50-80k people in a metro with more than 5 million people is not that bad.
It will be more than just 80k people moving into the Metro DC area. Gentrification will explode and people will take notice of the up-and-coming city and open up their own start-ups within the area. Before you know it, 80k people will turn into 150k will turn into 500k will turn into a 1 million people moving in.

SEATTLE — After conducting a yearlong search for a second home, Amazon has switched gears and is now finalizing plans to have a total of 50,000 employees in two locations, according to people familiar with the decision-making process.

The company is nearing a deal to move to the Long Island City neighborhood of Queens, according to two of the people briefed on the discussions. Amazon is also close to a deal to move to the Crystal City area of Arlington, Va., a Washington suburb, one of the people said. Amazon already has more employees in those two areas than anywhere else outside of Seattle, its home base, and the Bay Area.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/05/technology/amazon-second-headquarters-split.html

:lol: 5 million people + 80k, won't be that bad

It will be more than just 80k people moving into the Metro DC area. Gentrification will explode and people will take notice of the up-and-coming city and open up their own start-ups within the area. Before you know it, 80k people will turn into 150k will turn into 500k will turn into a 1 million people moving in.
I honestly think the difference will be negligible for most residents. The traffic is already top 10 worst in the nation. Gentrification has been pushing folk outside the city/beltway for years now.

And Crystal City isn’t some low key, up-and-coming suburb articles are making it out to be. You need money to live out there/NoVa already. It’s minutes away from the Pentagon and DC. Transplants are nothing new with all the active duty military living in that area. Potomac Yards and Alexandria are just south of CC and they have been building residential + commercial properties like crazy.

I just don’t see Amazon causing this huge ripple effect that locals haven’t already been experiencing.

This LIC facility would be a distribution center or is it a corporate office?

I honestly think the difference will be negligible for most residents. The traffic is already top 10 worst in the nation. Gentrification has been pushing folk outside the city/beltway for years now.

And Crystal City isn’t some low key, up-and-coming suburb articles are making it out to be. You need money to live out there/NoVa already. It’s minutes away from the Pentagon and DC. Transplants are nothing new with all the active duty military living in that area. Potomac Yards and Alexandria are just south of CC and they have been building residential + commercial properties like crazy.

I just don’t see Amazon causing this huge ripple effect that locals haven’t already been experiencing.
An extra 100k people (cuz let's be honest, they're not gonna stop hiring at 50k) all making at least 120k will be negligible?

Coming from a born and raised seattleite, rip to everything you know about your city.

The influx of transplants and gentrifiers absolutely destroyed our culture and left us with ****.

I feel you man, I went back to visit Seattle recently and it was a joke. The people Amazon recruits are walking zombies. Honestly the worst type of people to introduce to communities..

Yea Detroit wouldn’t have been able to handle it but would’ve been cool

An extra 100k people (cuz let's be honest, they're not gonna stop hiring at 50k) all making at least 120k will be negligible?

In this area that is negligible. Loundon County, Fairfax County and Arlington County VA are all in the top 10 in household income in the US. If you include upper NW DC and Howard/Montgomery County MD, which is about an hour commute to Crystal City in traffic, then you’re talking about 5-6 counties that are in the top 25 in the US from a household income perspective. The availability of transit (Metro, Marc/VRE, and the new purple line in MD) should alleviate some of the pressure on all of these new employees feeling like they need to crowd within a 2 mile radius of Crystal City.

NoVa doesn’t have much of a “culture” for Amazon to impact. NoVa is no comparison to Seattle or The Bay Area when it comes to a local culture.

Back
Top Bottom