American teens lie, steal, cheat at 'alarming' rates: study finds....

American teens lie, steal, cheat at 'alarming' rates: study

American teenagers lie, steal and cheat more at "alarming rates," a study of nearly 30,000 high schoolstudents concluded Monday.
The attitudes and conduct of some 29,760 high school students across the United States "doesn't bode wellfor the future when these youngsters become the next generation's politicians and parents, cops and corporate executives, and journalists andgenerals," the non-profit Josephson Institute said.

In its 2008 Report Card on the Ethics of American Youth, the Los Angeles-based organization said theteenagers' responses to questions about lying, stealing and cheating "reveals entrenched habits of dishonesty for the workforce of thefuture."

Boys were found to lie and steal more than girls.

Overall, 30 percent of students admitted to stealing from a store within the past year, a two percent rise from2006. More than one third of boys (35 percent) said they had stolen goods, compared to 26 percent of girls.

An overwhelming majority, 83 percent, of public school and private religious school students admitted to lying totheir parents about something significant, compared to 78 percent for those attending independent non-religious schools.

"Cheating in school continues to be rampant and it's getting worse," the study found. Amongst thosesurveyed, 64 percent said they had cheated on a test, compared to 60 percent in 2006. And 38 percent said they had done so two or more times.

Despite no significant gender differences on exam cheating, students from non-religious independent schools hadthe lowest cheating rate, 47 percent, compared to 63 percent of students attending religious schools.

"As bad as these numbers are, it appears they understate the level of dishonesty exhibited by America'syouth," the study warned, noting than more than a fourth of the students (26 percent) admitted they had lied on at least one or two of the surveyquestions.

"Despite these high levels of dishonesty, these same kids have a high self-image when it comes toethics."

Some 93 percent of students indicated satisfaction with their own character and ethics, with 77 percent sayingthat "when it comes to doing what is right, I am better than most people I know."
Copyright AFP 2008,AFP stories and photos shall not be published, broadcast, rewritten for broadcast or publication or redistributed directly or indirectly in any medium

http://www.breitbart.com/...ut4n2u&show_article=1

With regard to cheating in school, sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

Please, they are doing the same stuff that their parents did and their parents did. They just don't give a %*$+ nowadays.

Thanks for the article. I think many of us ahve realized this in our everyday dealings (not with teens necessarily).

Politicians and America's top businessmen lie, cheat, and steal at alarming rates too.
It trickles down.

I cheat all the time in school, but I'm still a morally sound person. I neither steal nor cuss, and I rarely lie to my parents.
The people in the top positions in America are bad examples. They NEVER lie, they just "misspeak", whatever that means

Well our president for the last 8 years lied, cheated and stole but on a much higher level, so I dunno why they wanna hold the youth to such a high standard.
eyes.gif

survival of the fittest, if you have to step on some ones throat to make it happen YOU MAKE IT HAPPEN!

Originally Posted by malikdagoat

Well our president for the last 8 years lied, cheated and stole but on a much higher level, so I dunno why they wanna hold the youth to such a high standard.
eyes.gif
The youth are our future, not old men.
We, being the younger generation, hopefully are headed in the right direction for the sake of the country.

Originally Posted by TBONE95860

Originally Posted by malikdagoat

eyes.gif
The youth are our future, not old men.
We, being the younger generation, hopefully are headed in the right direction for the sake of the country.
sigh

I know I cheated a lot so that doesn't surprise me, I got past some of the hardest toughest test by cheating, I got my homework done all night most of thetime by copying someone else's paper. Even the most esteemed IB and AP students cheated. Almost everyone did it the teachers even realized that studentsdid it. I feel bad now looking back on it cause I wasn't brought up to do those things, but once I started in like middle school it was like I couldn'tstop, it was easy to do and it didn't seem like a big deal at all. No one cares they just wanna past and take the easy way out.

Where are those strong morals...

Oh wait let me stop before I get labeled.

This is news?

Coach told me once, If you aint cheatin, you aint tryin.
laugh.gif

No. I never listened to him but eh ...

This is news? I know plenty of kids in Ivies, stanford, uchicago, etc. that cheated their +%+%$ off to get in.

No one didn't cheat at me school. I just straight up didnt care to.

Originally Posted by wawaweewa

Thanks for the article. I think many of us ahve realized this in our everyday dealings (not with teens necessarily).

Politicians and America's top businessmen lie, cheat, and steal at alarming rates too.
It trickles down.

Or does it trickle up?

I thought this was common knowledge.........Shoot, I boosted 50 bucks from my job yesterday.
laugh.gif
smh.gif

Originally Posted by Mangudai954

Originally Posted by wawaweewa

It trickles down.

Or does it trickle up?
nerd.gif

Who knows.
I think it trickles down though. Nobody wants to be a broke HS student with acne.
A lot of people do want to be wealthy and powerful no matter how that wealth and power was procured.

those results haven't even been adjusted for the people that lied about lying yet, that one comes out next week...

I'm not going outside till those numbers come down 10%+

kids R' dangerous... surveys are serious business

Originally Posted by tiggerwoods

those results haven't even been adjusted for the people that lied about lying yet, that one comes out next week...

I'm not going outside till those numbers come down 10%+

kids R' dangerous... surveys are serious business

laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom