frown.gif

Been a fan since Garfield days, He used to do numbers against Franklin 

His knees been on this path since High School
30t6p3b.gif

pimp.gif
pimp.gif

pimp.gif

Whats up Jeff!

i went to roosevelt a couple years after that disgusting garfield team had graduated, so i didnt get to see him in hs. i was stuck with venoy, siva and wroten. but i saw him play dozens of times at UW. i was thankful he would grace us fans with his talents and abilities. smdh.

As much as he did for that team with so much class, he deserves a job in the Front Office. Good dude right there man. RIP

Just curious what knee injuries specifically has he suffered?
I know there is a couple meniscus tears, but what else?
2 reasons for wanting to know.
What he went through and why the Twolves felt the need to draft Foye.
And Paul having the meniscus removed from his left knee. Is there a chance in 2-3 years were talking about Paul?

Originally Posted by gangsta207therevolution

Just curious what knee injuries specifically has he suffered?
I know there is a couple meniscus tears, but what else?

Far as I can remember, those tears were it. But they were bad enough that he needed surgery. Lots of it. And Portland's training staff is easily the worst in the league (look at our injury rates), so they compounded the problems.

That video Trunks posted last page had me tearing up
frown.gif
Sucks so much knowing the face of the team is done at only 27. I agree that he should be offered a job in the front office.

Dude was a baller for real. Sucks that he had to go out like that.

I thought he could come back healed but his knees were gone. Always sucks when you see a top talent retire early.

Damn, dude had an awkward kind of herky jerky game but it was nice. I remember like last year or year before last PTI had a segment on oddsmakers about the chances that B Roy was done as an elite player. Can't imagine what it feels like to have what you do best taken away.

He had a game that just efficiently COLD. You had to respect it.

Who was all on this Garfield squad you guys mentioned?

Originally Posted by Seymore CAKE

His sophomore (2000) and junior (2001) years were stacked. Aside from Roy, the following players were D-1 athletes:

Roy Smiley (USC)
Tre Simmons (Washington)
Marcellus Kemp (Nevada, tore it up there, plays in Europe)
Will Conroy (Washington, managed a few 10-day contracts, plays in Europe)
Isaiah Stanback (Washington QB, played in the NFL)
Anthony Washington (6'9" beast at center, went to Washington, didn't pan out, transferred eventually)

Toss in Ed Roy (older brother) on that 2000 squad and it was disgusting to watch. But they always had problems with Franklin and whatever other better-coached teams they faced at the state tournament.

Originally Posted by dmbrhs

His sophomore (2000) and junior (2001) years were stacked. Aside from Roy, the following players were D-1 athletes:

Roy Smiley (USC)
Tre Simmons (Washington)
Anthony Washington (6'9" beast at center, went to Washington, didn't pan out, transferred eventually)

Toss in Ed Roy (older brother) on that 2000 squad and it was disgusting to watch. But they always had problems with Franklin and whatever other better-coached teams they faced at the state tournament.

Oh so they were just one of the programs that had boys but the coach was suspect?

Who played for Franklin?

Such a damn shame. This guy was flat out a classy act. He was mature from the second he walked on a NBA floor. 

^ word. smh. 

i know he has degenerative knees.  but he may wanna consider that new procedure all the guys are getting now.  the kobe surgery.  he had degenerative knees too, and dude is back alive n kicking.  heard it helped gilbert arenas and deshawn stevenson too

Originally Posted by dmbrhs

Roy Smiley (USC)
Tre Simmons (Washington)

Oh so they were just one of the programs that had boys but the coach was suspect?

Who played for Franklin?
Aaron Brooks (one year younger) and a bunch of good role players. It wasn't so much a matter of who Franklin had, it's what they did with what they had. Their coach is incredible.

man i hate to see great players go out like that
so sad

Brandon Roy was something else

Interesting that he speaks of himself in the 3rd person now
laugh.gif

Former All-Star Guard Brandon Roy Entertains Comeback Possibility - Feb 28, 2012 

Former Rookie of the Year and 3-time All-Star guard Brandon Roy, who recently retired from basketball due to a serious knee condition, has been entertaining the possibility of a comeback, tellingEurobasket, 'It's hard being away from the game. Don't be surprised if you see Brandon Roy make his way back to the court.' 

The five-year veteran, who was selected sixth in the 2006 NBA Draft by the Portland Trail Blazers, retired on December 10, 2011, after suffering from ongoing trouble with his knees. 

Lately, Roy has been working out in his hometown gym, preparing for a life changing possibility. 'It burns being away from the game and watching the entire season from the outside,' a frustrated Roy said as he followed the shortened 2011-12 NBA season from his living room couch. 

According to sources close to the player, regardless of his knee problems, Roy's decision to retire wasnt all health related. 'There's something to it, but it's not the right time for me to get into it right now,' Roy said. 'I've been doing some treatment and I'm trying to leave the window open to returning to basketball.' 

When met with skepticism regarding his comeback, Roy explained, 'It's the truth. It's really hard being so far away from the game. I spend time watching Jamal (Crawford) and following all of his games; Will (Conroy) and Tre (Simmons) are both doing their thing, so it's driving me to wanna come back out there. If the treatment I've been looking into can work, I believe there's a good chance you will see Brandon Roy back hoopin'.'

Earlier this week, while the NBA's main event took place in Orlando, Roy, Will Conroy and Washington Huskies youngster Tony Wroten watched the All-Star game at the Blazers' guard Jamal Crawford's residence. Roy described his feelings. 'We were just relaxing and watching the game but all I could think about was all of the fun stuff behind the scenes. The guys brought back a lot of memories when they asked me what the feel was like and whether guys get along. I told them the players get along great because it's all really about having fun and amusing the fans.'

As a spectator, Roy observed that 'The players did whatever they could to make sure their fans get the best product, if it being Kobe and Lebron going at it late in the game or Kevin Durant's competitiveness. It's really hard doing it for 48-minutes, but I think in the fourth quarter, they definitely got the job done.'

Last year, while playing his fifth and final season for the Blazers, Roy played in 53 games, averaging 11.9ppg, 2.5rpg and 2.8apg.

Back
Top Bottom