Angelina Jolie to play Cleopatra Vol. smh

I understand where y'all are coming from, but the black community has a !!*+%@$% more to worry about than who's playing Cleopatra is a movie.

I understand where y'all are coming from, but the black community has a !!*+%@$% more to worry about than who's playing Cleopatra is a movie.

Originally Posted by Ruxxx

laugh.gif
@ James Bond.I mean I understand what you're getting at,but nah troop.......
2 TOTALLY different things.

there are black brits

i haven't read the books, so i have no idea whether or not it specifically says he's white

but you can't tell me idris elba as james bond wouldn't be dope

Originally Posted by Ruxxx

laugh.gif
@ James Bond.I mean I understand what you're getting at,but nah troop.......
2 TOTALLY different things.

there are black brits

i haven't read the books, so i have no idea whether or not it specifically says he's white

but you can't tell me idris elba as james bond wouldn't be dope

Originally Posted by BTK

Originally Posted by Cedric Ceballos 1995 Lakers

at least you have a new thing to be mad about rather then posting your hurt feelings in the sports section all summer long

yo dude u follow me around in every forum kid. Get off my ___ son! You launch a lot of missiles behind your keyboard, if we ever met face to face, I can promise you'd be the most quiet dude in the room.  
BTW,  Angela Bassett got turned down for the role.

laugh.gif
  you fail again you herb

im in nyc the entire month of august so it wouldn't be outta the question to johnny cage shadow kick some pety little internet e thug and then slap his moms in front of him for fun.

get off my tip b

Originally Posted by BTK

Originally Posted by Cedric Ceballos 1995 Lakers

at least you have a new thing to be mad about rather then posting your hurt feelings in the sports section all summer long

yo dude u follow me around in every forum kid. Get off my ___ son! You launch a lot of missiles behind your keyboard, if we ever met face to face, I can promise you'd be the most quiet dude in the room.  
BTW,  Angela Bassett got turned down for the role.

laugh.gif
  you fail again you herb

im in nyc the entire month of august so it wouldn't be outta the question to johnny cage shadow kick some pety little internet e thug and then slap his moms in front of him for fun.

get off my tip b

^With that comment I was touching on the fact that James Bond is a fictional character while Cleopatra was real.

^With that comment I was touching on the fact that James Bond is a fictional character while Cleopatra was real.

Originally Posted by Stixx

I remember awhile back I read that someone wanted to make a black James Bond...Will Smith & Jamie Foxx were mentioned 2 play the role...
Wud u b mad if they did that?
When everyone knows that James Bond was a white English/British man...

Who cares as long as she does the role justice...

In the books he was Scottish - but working in London. There weren't many black people in Scotland at that time. There still aren't many now.

Originally Posted by Stixx

I remember awhile back I read that someone wanted to make a black James Bond...Will Smith & Jamie Foxx were mentioned 2 play the role...
Wud u b mad if they did that?
When everyone knows that James Bond was a white English/British man...

Who cares as long as she does the role justice...

In the books he was Scottish - but working in London. There weren't many black people in Scotland at that time. There still aren't many now.

Originally Posted by AdobeCS4

Originally Posted by Bugz moran

Originally Posted by dreClark

Y'all do know that Cleopatra was Macedonian and not Egyptian/African, right? So she should look Albanian/Greek/Bulgarian/serbian/etc.

Sooooo why exactly would Angela Basset make sense? Who looks more Macedonian? Angela Bassett or Angelina Jolie?

Cleopatra should be more fair skinned...
I understand your argument. I wouldn't want either or those choices. I'm wondering why they didn't find an actress of Middle Eastern descent. I would like more diversity when it comes to my movies. I know why they cast her but movie stars don't matter as much now of days compared to the 80s or 90s and Jolie is not a guaranteed box office draw. She only has two types in her roles: either as a Tomb Raider action type and the seductress thing she did in Alexander and Beowulf. So I don't know why they would cast her other than to get financing.
My fault, I didn't mean to put just Middle Eastern. I meant Ptolemaic but I did read that her family did mess with PERSIAN royalty. So an actress of Greek descent, my point is: I want to see more than the same actress playing similar roles over and over again.

Originally Posted by AdobeCS4

Y'all do know that Cleopatra was Macedonian and not Egyptian/African, right? So she should look Albanian/Greek/Bulgarian/serbian/etc.

Sooooo why exactly would Angela Basset make sense? Who looks more Macedonian? Angela Bassett or Angelina Jolie?

I understand your argument. I wouldn't want either or those choices. I'm wondering why they didn't find an actress of Middle Eastern descent. I would like more diversity when it comes to my movies. I know why they cast her but movie stars don't matter as much now of days compared to the 80s or 90s and Jolie is not a guaranteed box office draw. She only has two types in her roles: either as a Tomb Raider action type and the seductress thing she did in Alexander and Beowulf. So I don't know why they would cast her other than to get financing.
My fault, I didn't mean to put just Middle Eastern. I meant Ptolemaic but I did read that her family did mess with PERSIAN royalty. So an actress of Greek descent, my point is: I want to see more than the same actress playing similar roles over and over again.

That's kind of wrong.

movie1262834242.jpg
  <--- she won an Academy Award for her portrayal of a sociopath in a mental asylum

changeling-poster.jpg
<--- Nominated for Academy Award and praised by critics for playing a woman whose son was kidnapped and dealing with corruption

A_Mighty_Heart_DVD-Angelina_Jolie-Dan_Futterman-Michael_Winterbottom.jpg
  <--- praised by critics and nominated for a Golden Globe for her portrayal of a multi-racial woman whose husband was kidnapped

Additionally, the woman she played actually chose Angelina to pick her even though some criticized Jolie's ethnic background.  The woman, Mariane Pearl, said " it is not about the color of your skin. It is about who you are. I asked her to play the role--because I felt a real kinship to her. She put her whole heart into it, and I think she understood why we should do this movie. We had something to say that we knew we should say together."
angelina-jolie-mighty-heart.JPG

I'm not arguing that Hollywood utilizes white actors far more than they should, and often times it's blatant in their portrayals of true events.  The movie 21 comes to mind, where I believe the entire group of people were Asian, yet in the film only one character was portrayed as such.  Hollywood steretypes, there isn't enough quality black actors out there, no one is saying that it's ok... but in this case... ehhh I'm not going to start organizing marches over it.  I'd rather the role go to the better actress, which isn't to say there aren't minority actresses of Angelina's quality, but in this case, if the film doesn't suffer and if she does well (which I completely expect her to), then I don't care.

That's kind of wrong.

movie1262834242.jpg
  <--- she won an Academy Award for her portrayal of a sociopath in a mental asylum

changeling-poster.jpg
<--- Nominated for Academy Award and praised by critics for playing a woman whose son was kidnapped and dealing with corruption

A_Mighty_Heart_DVD-Angelina_Jolie-Dan_Futterman-Michael_Winterbottom.jpg
  <--- praised by critics and nominated for a Golden Globe for her portrayal of a multi-racial woman whose husband was kidnapped

Additionally, the woman she played actually chose Angelina to pick her even though some criticized Jolie's ethnic background.  The woman, Mariane Pearl, said " it is not about the color of your skin. It is about who you are. I asked her to play the role--because I felt a real kinship to her. She put her whole heart into it, and I think she understood why we should do this movie. We had something to say that we knew we should say together."
angelina-jolie-mighty-heart.JPG

I'm not arguing that Hollywood utilizes white actors far more than they should, and often times it's blatant in their portrayals of true events.  The movie 21 comes to mind, where I believe the entire group of people were Asian, yet in the film only one character was portrayed as such.  Hollywood steretypes, there isn't enough quality black actors out there, no one is saying that it's ok... but in this case... ehhh I'm not going to start organizing marches over it.  I'd rather the role go to the better actress, which isn't to say there aren't minority actresses of Angelina's quality, but in this case, if the film doesn't suffer and if she does well (which I completely expect her to), then I don't care.

I coulda sworn that Cleopatra was of Greek descent...

In any case, this is typical Hollywood. Karate kid in China? Goku played by a white actor? I am not surprised.

I coulda sworn that Cleopatra was of Greek descent...

In any case, this is typical Hollywood. Karate kid in China? Goku played by a white actor? I am not surprised.

Back
Top Bottom