Ankle support brace + tape?

I just sprained my ankle really bad. ligaments torn and I'm out for 8 weeks. I'm starting to look for a brace for when I start playing basketballagain. My doctor told me to tape my ankle. Is it better if I tape and use a brace or just do one thing? As a brace I was looking at the adidas speed wrap. Anyexperiences with that? What would you guys recommend?

Go with tape...after you're back to your old form. The brace will minimize damage while you're rehabbing. But when you're done it'll justhinder you. So, brace then tape. But not at the same time.

Once you move your ankle when it's taped. A tape job becomes nothing more than a psychological advantage. It doesn't support anymore. And yes there isplenty of research to support my claim. They become too loose.

Get a brace and I used the McDavid ones when I sprained it. After your ankle is back in shape try playing without anything, that is after a few weeks with thebrace. Getting your ankle use to the brace fr a long time will actually hinder your ankles overall strength longterm

can anyone recommend some good tape? I dont want rigid tight stuff I saw before some gud had some semi flex 3M stuff which is what im after. Does anyone knowthis stuff?

smh.gif
smh.gif
@ ever playin ball with out a brace

I have both the ASO and McDavid... both are fine. I sprained my ankle a while back and used it for a while. I've never had a proper ankle tape-job,but I'm guessin its not a restrictive as these ankle braces are...

Also, how does one tape their own ankle?� Is it even possible to tape your own ankle the way a trainer does it?

Recover to about 85% percent. Then play, i know how hard it is to want to get out there and play ball with an ankleinjury. Just make sure you wear a brace until you recover to 95%. Sadly, once you get an injury like that you'll never be back to 100%. Get your ankle taped once you recover but don't rock the brace unless you absolutely have to sincewearing it consistently creates a dependence.

That tape job is hardcore I dunno if its even possible to have any movement in your ankle with that tape job. Might as well have gypsum plaster on your foot !

Its fine if your still in rehab but I would say its very intrusive if you are getting back playing and not used to having your ankles tied up.

Its quite a difficult situation when your past the swelling and have just the soreness and weakness in the joint. Its been 3 weeks now since Ive started backplaying on mine and I still feel its not back to the way it was. Really difficult injury to get mid season.

The tape is restrictive, but it works well and you still probably have about 80 percent range of motion, depending on how good the tape is done.

To whomever asked about doing it yourself... it's possible for me to tape my own, but i could never get it done as well as the trainers could. I'd justget it done by them, it's simple and quick.

I have never taped or braced my ankles for anything, although I do have a little bit of some cankles going.
laugh.gif

My volleyball coach swore by ASO. And from the looks of it, that's where I would go.
Originally Posted by Biggie62

Once you move your ankle when it's taped. A tape job becomes nothing more than a psychological advantage. It doesn't support anymore. And yes there is plenty of research to support my claim. They become too loose.
I want to see this.

Once you move your ankle when it's taped. A tape job becomes nothing more than a psychological advantage. It doesn't support anymore. And yes there is plenty of research to support my claim. They become too loose.

Never heard such a claim. A good tape job doesn't allow you to move your ankle, so......

....besides, do you really think they'd waste time taping up athletes ankles still if there were a better option available that they could allow theplayers to do themselves?
grin.gif

Originally Posted by Biggie62

What in the world are you spewing dude?
eyes.gif

Originally Posted by Craftsy21

Never heard such a claim. A good tape job doesn't allow you to move your ankle, so......

....besides, do you really think they'd waste time taping up athletes ankles still if there were a better option available that they could allow the players to do themselves?
grin.gif

This was my line of thinking. When it's all said and done, tape costs more money and much more time than even the best ankle brace.

Yet taping ankles is still the standard (NBA, NFL, etc.)

I have sprained both of my ankles probably about 6+ times each in my life. And have fractured my right, my ankles are about as messed up as it gets. When Iroll my ankle now it doesn't even swell, and I can go back to playing ball like normal after a day or 2. Most of my ankle injuries came from skateboardingwhen I was in middle school and high school though. These days I make sure to wear ankle braces when playing ball just because it isn't worth screwing upmy ankles even more.

Back
Top Bottom