Another star goes broke vol. Allen Iverson

sometimes, dudes that come from nothing..only know how to live life with nothing. 
they don't know how to maintain..because it bores them. 

he never progressed, he never grew outside of what he knew. he never stopped wearing tall tees..

sometimes, dudes that come from nothing..only know how to live life with nothing. 
they don't know how to maintain..because it bores them. 

he never progressed, he never grew outside of what he knew. he never stopped wearing tall tees..

Originally Posted by spacerace

Originally Posted by Josednk1068

Floyd Mayfeather headed down the same path

indifferent.gif

[+]
ace362bc6bc99de9cc8c6dd67d6f95b3448c7891_r.gif
Smash that bottle on your own head.

Why besides your fandom do you think that betting millions on singular basketball games will prove lucrative in the long run?

This is what happens when you have the big entourage, have the 20 cars, the mansions, millions in jewelry, supporting the family, and god knows how much straight up cash he has blown in clubs or whatever. Things they forget are the tax and upkeep on those homes, the upkeep on the cars, and the constant asking for money from people.

Dont get me wrong if I had millions like that, not saying I wouldnt be in the club and spending cash but having 3 cars and one mansion is good for me. And as far as supporting an entourage, *+@%. Only people I would be supporting is my mom, dad, and my bro. That's it. Problem with these guys is that they support a huge payroll. lol

There is no reason you should be broke after making all that money. Even after taxes he has made a boatload.

You should be able to life that life and have the proper investments, so that you will continue to live that life for the rest of your life.

Originally Posted by shogun

Originally Posted by az5950

Originally Posted by mrkane

IF AND ONLY IF HE CAN OVERCOME HIS FEAR OF WEARING A SUIT
grin.gif

Def not Happening...lol
86w7m4

sick.gif
 that suit.  A.I. should be excluded from the suit rule.  The casual clothes he wears are better than the dress clothes he buys from the big & tall section.
A.I. and Steve Nash are about the same height but fit makes a difference. He probably thought he was doing it too... 
laugh.gif

He situation is sad though. You can take the dude out the hood, but you can't take the hood out the dude. 
tired.gif

I always think about it this way even when these athletes retire they have property taxes on multiple homes, upkeep to pay for their homes (electric, water, landscapibg, security, etc), schooling for their children, possibly child support, auto maintenance , and still everyday expenses and entertainment with little to no income. I keep saying it but I think floyd will be in ai's shoes in 10 yrs maybe less if he doesn't tighten up

Originally Posted by Antidope

Originally Posted by blakep267

I dont understand why people say they cant feel bad. he is human. I personally dont care about the money aspect, but the fact that he's turned to alchoholism and has lost his family is what is sad to me.
Exactly. Its not even about the money, the guy blew almost 200 million dollars nothing can be said there, its the way he went out that really gets me. He should be:
A. Allowed to retire as an NBA player
B. Allowed to retire as a Sixer
C. Given a chance to contribute to the NBA in some way shape or form.

The NFL always does this. They find room for first ballot HoF players doing stuff other than playing all the time, and it means next to nothing how much they wyled out while they were playing, the NBA has done next to nothing to try and accommodate AI. Its to the point where one of the greatest basketball players of all time is an afterthought and in some circles a joke and it just isnt right to me. He brought a lot of it on himself no doubt, but hes AI, now that hes humbled he'd prob take it all like a man.

Every NBA team has 1 player who they could release to make room for AI, pretty sure every NBA team has one player who AIs flat out better than. I also didnt limit it to just playing, you mean to tell me an NBA team (philly in particular) doesnt have room for AI on staff? He cant be an assistant coach? He cant commentate? He cant get a shot at being an analyst? He cant do something?
I think he's humbled and would accept any role hes given. I know they owe him nothing but they should just do it, its AI.

^

Great post, I agree

A.I was 100% blackballed by David Stern and the NBA after the Memphis situation

I dont understand why people say they cant feel bad. he is human. I personally dont care about the money aspect, but the fact that he's turned to alchoholism and has lost his family is what is sad to me.
Exactly. Its not even about the money, the guy blew almost 200 million dollars nothing can be said there, its the way he went out that really gets me. He should be:

The NFL always does this. They find room for first ballot HoF players doing stuff other than playing all the time, and it means next to nothing how much they wyled out while they were playing, the NBA has done next to nothing to try and accommodate AI. Its to the point where one of the greatest basketball players of all time is an afterthought and in some circles a joke and it just isnt right to me. He brought a lot of it on himself no doubt, but hes AI, now that hes humbled he'd prob take it all like a man.

Every NBA team has 1 player who they could release to make room for AI, pretty sure every NBA team has one player who AIs flat out better than. I also didnt limit it to just playing, you mean to tell me an NBA team (philly in particular) doesnt have room for AI on staff? He cant be an assistant coach? He cant commentate? He cant get a shot at being an analyst? He cant do something?
I think he's humbled and would accept any role hes given. I know they owe him nothing but they should just do it, its AI.

......its enablers like this that fed that ego monster until it ran his career into the ground. people kill me with this attitude towards AI. AI MADE HIS BED, now its time to lay in it.

...AI has been given shot.......after shot......after shot, while continuing to SLAP the hand away of those giving him that shot, yet you continue to have this peanut crowd of followers saying he deserves another shot 
laugh.gif

......let me ask you, how many shot is AI supposed to get? is it infinite? forever? just because he's AI?

....funny thing is this claim:

.....when AI landed back in Philly, it was looked at as just that. the team allowing him to retire with dignity, as a Sixer, and as a NBA Player. right? Right?

...but what happened? oh.

...but that matters not huh? just give him another shot.
roll.gif

Originally Posted by Prettyboy RY7

^

Great post, I agree

...i bet he was blackballed, and he earned every bit of it.

He's not totally screwed. He still has a lifetime contract with reebok so all he needs is for them to retro some of his shoes and build some hype. Do some events ex. sorta like that $*$@+*$%%!%%+ thing Penny did. I mean, the Answer 4-6 were
pimp.gif
. I think they were doper than penny's shoes (minus foams).

he was allowed to retire as a Sixer and he stuck it in their face; I can tell you right now that he would have some kind of job with the Sixers right now if it wasn't for this...no team wanted him after Memphis and the Sixers brought him back for all he had done as a Sixer and he still didn't learn a thing.  

8594b94892dae42f27520ab045dc7791_alleniversonpartyingincharlotte.jpg

Originally Posted by StillIn729

he was allowed to retire as a Sixer and he stuck it in their face; I can tell you right now that he would have some kind of job with the Sixers right now if it wasn't for this...no team wanted him after Memphis and the Sixers brought him back for all he had done as a Sixer and he still didn't learn a thing.  

....but...but, i know Philly gave him a second chance, but he deserves a third because he's AI.   
roll.gif

tired.gif
 This is why we can't have nice things. 
When someone doesn't give a f%*5 about their job why should the employer care about them?

Pride goeth before destruction, and a haughty spirit before the fall..

Dude has gotta get over his pride. Been out of league for about 3yrs and refuses to go to the D-League to get polished again.

As far as his financial problems, u make that much in ur career and u squander it, I have no empathy for u. Dudes retire and don't have money accruing interest, a back up plan, or willing to sale things to get their finances in order are fools, no way around it.

Didn't they post some stats saying around 40% of all sports athletes go broke once they retire?

This sucks.

No real excuse though.

There are too many ways to make your money work for you once you've "made it".

No reason to ever go broke again.

Originally Posted by Josednk1068

I always think about it this way even when these athletes retire they have property taxes on multiple homes, upkeep to pay for their homes (electric, water, landscapibg, security, etc), schooling for their children, possibly child support, auto maintenance , and still everyday expenses and entertainment with little to no income. I keep saying it but I think floyd will be in ai's shoes in 10 yrs maybe less if he doesn't tighten up

Went to school with Floyd. We rode the same bus together. Floyd smarter then that and he has 50 cent in his corner and best friend. Floyd will never be broke

IM lost what did AI do to MEmphis to make them give him da boot, and what did he do to the sixers the second time around?

Originally Posted by seasoned vet

......its enablers like this that fed that ego monster until it ran his career into the ground. people kill me with this attitude towards AI. AI MADE HIS BED, now its time to lay in it.

...AI has been given shot.......after shot......after shot, while continuing to SLAP the hand away of those giving him that shot, yet you continue to have this peanut crowd of followers saying he deserves another shot 
laugh.gif

......let me ask you, how many shot is AI supposed to get? is it infinite? forever? just because he's AI?

....funny thing is this claim:

.....when AI landed back in Philly, it was looked at as just that. the team allowing him to retire with dignity, as a Sixer, and as a NBA Player. right? Right?

...but what happened? oh.

...but that matters not huh? just give him another shot.
roll.gif

Originally Posted by Prettyboy RY7

^

Great post, I agree

...i bet he was blackballed, and he earned every bit of it.

everything seasoned vet said is 100% true.

he doesn't deserve a 4th or 5th chance simply because he's Allen Iverson when he blew off chance after chance after chance in the past.

if you bite the hand that feeds you then you deserve to be thrown out into the cold, and if Iverson hasn't seen the writing on the wall by now then he probably never will.

it's a damn shame too because if he really wanted to see the bigger picture and grow up, he could probably be serivceable for 2-3 seasons. hell if derek fisher is starting still and there's so many other bum dudes in the league, IF Iverson put pride and ego aside he would be able to finish his career on his terms.

sadly his track record indicates his ego wouldn't allow him to make that transition and it's a shame. given his attitude issues, problems with pracitce and every other problem he's had there's no way in hell he should be given anything. 

if he wants back in the NBA he should take whatever d league team takes him as there's been reports he's willing to play for a minor league nba team and when he's on that team he needs to do more then just put up numbers. he needs to be coachable, a good teammate for the other guys on that team, and show he can still play as well.  then if/when he gets a shot with a nba team he needs to be ok with coming off the bench and let earn whatever increased role he can get.

again i'll use the words sad thing and sadly but when you think about it, it's sad to think that if he didn't blow off training camp with memphis, took that role off the bench and made the most of his playing time and put up decent numbers that he would be back in the starting line up within a month or so.

Originally Posted by 4U2C

IM lost what did AI do to MEmphis to make them give him da boot, and what did he do to the sixers the second time around?
in Memphis he basically was a problem from training camp to his final game; he refused to come off the bench and created problems and was let go.
The Sixers signed him as basically a favor and he used the excuse that his daughter was sick to take a leave of absence and got busted partying down in North Carolina for days straight.  At that point the Sixers parted ways but they took the high road and basically said he would not return for the rest of the season but the truth is the Sixers felt very disrespected after bringing him back when his career was pretty much done at that point.  

He burned two chances in the NBA in one season.

Back
Top Bottom