Antawn Jamison traded to Cavs....

The Cleveland Cavaliers have reached agreement on a six-player, three-team trade that lands themformer All-Star forward Antawn Jamison(notes), league sources with knowledge of the talks told Yahoo! Sports.
The Cavaliers are sending center Zydrunas Ilgauskas,(notes) a first-round pick and the draft rights to Emil Preldzic to the Wizards. The Wizards also will receive Brian Skinner(notes) and Al Thornton(notes) from the Los Angeles Clippers. The Cavaliers will get point guard Sebastian Telfair(notes) from the Clippers. The Wizards will send Drew Gooden(notes) to the Clippers

LInk

The key to this deal was Emil Preldzic...

laugh.gif

Another hard, hurtful day as a Bullets/Wizards fan.

24 years of my 29. 
eyes.gif

You would think I'd be used to this by now.  But, any man or woman in an abusive relationship will tell you, every @$# whipin' is different.

grin.gif

Muva %#$** can't even get a draft pick from Dallas (to make 3 going into the offseason as leverage on draft night).

BUT WE given them "cash considerations" for stacking their team.

Bammas would get fired on the franchise mode of 2k after 2 seasons.

grin.gif

^how can you not be a fan of Jamison? sure he does have 2 left feet for defense and is the most unorthodox scorer.. lets be real though, where are you going to find a leader anywhere like Twan?

dude has given 100% percent to this organization and is a consummate professional RARE in most places, and to see him go to Cleveland out of all places??? that makes me sick to my stomach...

but at the end of the day...his contract was atrocious and he's not getting any younger..1st rounder it is...i am just still angry at what we got back for Caron and Haywood

I was going to give away my signed gilzero shoe and jersey...now I just might burn it...thanks gil

You can't celebrate that 1st rounder. It's not going to even be in the teens.

I feel bad for Ilgauskus. He was thisclose to getting a ring, now he's thisclose to committing suicide. I don't even know if I would report.

Originally Posted by Scott Scotch

I feel bad for Ilgauskus. He was thisclose to getting a ring, now he's thisclose to committing suicide. I don't even know if I would report.

Wasn't there a report saying that the Wizards would buy him out because it saves them money? I'm sure the Cavs have been saving that MLE for him

You would think I'd be used to this by now.  But, any man or woman in an abusive relationship will tell you, every @$# whipin' is different.
It's funny, a very similar metaphor occurred to me when I reflected on the Jamison trade in the other thread: Re: Any feelings now with another (soon to be historically) "bizarre" trade of the Wizards?

More likely, it'll be the very last pick in the 1st round.  And this is my real problem with these trades, speaking strictly on a basketball level:  it reeks of panic.  We did not get value.

As eyes already mentioned, not only did we fail to pry loose so much as a draft pick from Dallas, we quite literally PAID them to take one of our ALL STARS off our hands.  While some have attempted to portray Jamison's contract as unfavorable, Caron's was anything but.  He was a value.  WHY make that trade mid-season if you can't get value?  If that's the best offer on the table - WALK.

The Mavs were opportunists.  They didn't need Butler.  Arguably, Haywood was the more critical piece for them.  They had the luxury of making due with this current squad and retooling a bit in the offseason if they so chose.  We had little leverage in that case, though I have to believe we could've managed to find a more favorable deal elsewhere (read: anywhere else.)

The Cavs were desperate.  We all know Amar'e wouldn't be a good fit with Lebron for the same reason he never meshed with Shaq.  Amar'e's job in that Phoenix offense is to finish off the pick and roll, period.  He doesn't do isos with any enviable consistency.  He doesn't rebound all that well for a big.  He needs space.  Lebron, when he can rub free, does much the same thing - only he can handle the ball and simply finishes off penetration rather than accepting point blank dishes.  Amar'e really wouldn't give you anything more than Hickson.  It's a bad fit.  Acting like Cleveland had other, better options is to buy into a smokescreen - though I won't give Ferry so much credit as to attribute those rumors to his office. 

Jamison was their man all along.  He's the player James reportedly coveted, the first name atop his wish list. 

If Cleveland doesn't win a chip this season and/or fails to demonstrate to James' satisfaction that the organization will do everything in its power to mollify him, he'll walk (and, as we all know, walking with neither care nor consequence is James' go-to move.)

Given that, why don't you, as Ernie Grunfeld, have the backbone to say, "look, Antawn Jamison is the captain of our team.  He is far and away our most popular player.  If we trade him for nothing, the fans will string me up.  If you want him, you'd better be prepared to sacrifice something meaningful.  I know you're high on Hickson, but guess what: if you don't get Jamison there's a good chance you're not keeping Lebron James.  If you're forced to choose between JJ Hickson and Lebron, are you seriously going to sit there and say, "we'll stick with Hickson and gamble on Lebron?"  Even if we take Hickson, this is still a lopsided trade in terms of talent.  If you can't even give us that much, forget it.  That's the asking price.  If you're willing to agree to those terms, call us.  If not, best of luck the rest of the way."

If you're the Washington Wizards, it is an absolute basketball sin to give away two All Star players and not receive so much as a single lottery pick in return.  Swing a three team deal, do what it takes to get it done.  If all you can think of to rebuild is to tank the season for a ticket in the John Wall sweepstakes, you'd damn well better find yourself a way to put more than one ball in the hopper.  As it stands, the best young piece we have is a player in Al Thornton whose value to our Western conference counterparts, the LA Clippers, was such that they dumped him in exchange for the privilege of buying out Drew Gooden and unloading Sebastian Telfair.  THAT is the only young piece we have to show in exchange for the core of a team that consistently made the playoffs prior to last season?

Name a team in this league with less hope over the next 3 seasons than Washington.
[eyes of hazel][katt williams]Go ahead..... I'll wait.[/katt williams][/eyes of hazel]

Worst part is, 'Ze is gonna pull a "Stackhouse."

He'll be back in a Cavs uniform in about 32-35 days.  So, factor that in this trade as well.

I mean, hell, if your "rival" got you THAT much by the balls, make sure Stevenson is forced to put on a Cavs uniform as well.  Atleast the fans will get a half-happy smerk out of that...

And if this Gilbert situation is not resolved, and he's back in a Wiz uniform......

As a Suns fan, I kind of understand the reaction to this wholesale mentality. We have been fortunate to remain slightly relevant, but Sarver has been giving away valuable assets for the past couple of years.

On the Wizards front, the thing I don't undrstand is the impact this has on the sale of the team. The Polin's seem to be tanking the team, but expecting Leonsis to pay top dollar for the team and the building.

I think the one thing you can take solace in is that Jamison is not going to "blow up" now that he has been traded. It's a small victory, but a victory nonetheless.

Originally Posted by jahsondc

And watch him shine like the sun....they all do when they leave us.... :smh
We were just talking about this at work. The list continues to grow on the people who succeed after leaving Washington:

R. Wallace

B. Wallace

C. Webber

R. Hamilton

Soon to Add:
Haywood, Caron, and Jamison 
eyes.gif

But hey...at least Kwame Brown didnt turn it around after leaving 
grin.gif

suck thats he is gone. pretty sure he kind of happy knowing he got a big chance to go to the finals now.

Back
Top Bottom