any dj's here? what equipment you using and what you spinning?

numark tt-1 pro tables
mackie mixer
rane sl-1 interface (still learning to use) scratchlive
kenwood amp (actually a reciever) to push house speakers until i get some monitors
i push house, old school hip hop some new, old school funk/disco, drum n bass, a touch of trance, reggae/tone, taste of r&b
using dell laptop studio 15 with scratchlive
loving scratchlive, trying to learn how to digitalize my vinyl and ill be set
american audio cd 500 cd scratcher

how do you guys know what sounds best w/what?

sometimes i'll hear some stuff and be like 'wow...they flowed into that next song so effortlessly'

i guess its jus havin them beats in ur heart n soul...........makin it flow..........knowing what is the best flow etc..........

2x Technics SL-1200MK2's
1x Vestax PMC-06Pro (Mixstick)
2x Shure M44-7
Serato

What the hell is a "cd scratcher"?

Damn. I've never heard to CD decks referred to as CD scratchers. Maybe it's because I don't mess w/ CDJ's.

It's all about the vinyl man. Nothing beats scratching on vinyl.

And I digitize using an output off my Tech to a converter box my homeboy has. Pretty nice quality.

I'm poor, and still noobish.
MB 13" with traktor and a VCI-100. Scratching on a midi controller ftl =(... basic scratching is possible though. One day I'll get a dvs system, oneday. btw, anyone who uses the older versions of traktor, be weary of upgrading to snow leopard, it isn't working out.

Also, if you want to know what works well with other songs, you basically have to just listen to lots of music. If you have the time, just take songs and thengo through your library and just check to see what works well.

Question: I need tips on building up my music library... "legally". I have a pretty big music library, but let's just say most of it isn't"legit". And before I go out and do parties and stuff, I want to be able to say that I own the music (idk if that's wierd or not). Anyhow, anytips for a poor guy trying to build up his library? thanks!

To the person above: Uhhhhhh no. 'Real' DJs should know how to use proper equipment.

2x Technics 1200 MK3D's
2x Shure M447's
Vestax PMC-05 Pro II
Technics RPDJ-1210
Serato Scratch Live

I started off spinning hip hop, R&B and pop, but I learned that I have to be diverse. So I eventually started experimenting with other genres like disco,funk, rock, reggae, and electronic music.

Technics 1200
Vestax 07 Pro
Juice Crown AMP
Peavys
Serato
Macbook

I play all types of genres... no really ALL

I am not a DJ I just get payed a crap load of money to play music off my laptop
wink.gif

Two Technics SL-1200
Club I DJ at has their own mixer, but I'm using a simole little Numark with only two channels (RECESSION!!)
Two Shure White Label needles
Sony Headphones
Serato Scratchlive
Macbook (Sholda got a pro)

No amp because my speakers go directly into outlets, but I'm sure once I get bigger and better speakers, I'll need an amp. I'm not doing partiesright now, just the occasional warehouse party and whenever bands i know have open jam sessions I DJ between sessions.

As for knowing how to mix well, its just a combination of a GREAT ear for music and superb skill in beat matching (blending songs with the same, or roughly thesame BPMs). For mac users, you can download a BPM widget for dashboard and then open itunes and set the BPMs to your songs then Scratchlive will automaticallyupdate itself, if its synced with your itunes library that is.

im loving serato scratch live bruh's...........its the new revolution...........but vinyl is the truth!!!!!!! i "mess" with the cdscratcher/player samplin' beats etc...........i still am trying to digitalize my vinyl thru scratchlive.............and for the bro tryna get his music onpoint...............frostwire is all i can say

84221211552083354106530.jpg

Jealous of those with a 56 or 57, that was going to be my next purchase but I opted for the speakers instead...

I have a question.. does serato beat mach for you... does it tell u the bpm of each track and whatnot?? I'm way way out the game.. but thinkin of gettingback in it.. maybe

Originally Posted by JD Turk

For mac users, you can download a BPM widget for dashboard and then open itunes and set the BPMs to your songs then Scratchlive will automatically update itself, if its synced with your itunes library that is.

Scratch Live has an auto-bpm feature.

to those trying to buy new gear or trying to get into djing invest your money in decent turntables (ex: technics or numark tt 500/ttx)
buy a used set of decks and later down the road if you decide you want to give up or quit you can sell em back at nearly the same price (value depreciationhappens slooooowly unless you really mess them up)
and if you decide to stick with it you already got a decent set

mixer wise theres a large variety ones for sound effects scratching then the higherpriced ones would be fit for all
i would say mixers depreciate in value a bit faster than turntables tho

theres midi's out there which can include a computer interface which can be small/portable and a bit cheaper overall

i just bought a pacemaker still figuring out all its features but seems nice
-has computer interface program similar to SSL, where u can pre arrange your sets
-does auto beat matching
-shows bpm
-can add effects
-can scratch - little tough at first
-its like a small portable cdj/mixer also has wireless abilities

edit-
currently using 1200's, vestax pmc 06 mixer (the thin one), serato scratch live, pacemaker

numark tt-200 (might buy some used technic 1200s soon)
numark mixer
serato
laptop

im in the process of organizing my music and man is it a bia to id3 tag all this music so i can organize it in itunes and then serato so i can search and whatnot.

to those who asked. no serato does not beat match for you, it does help beat matching easier by adding a visual component.
also the dude who said just to listen to lots of music to know what goes together, is kinda off. thats exactly what bpms are for. chances are if the two songshave similar BPMs you can beat match them or even mash them up.

for those starting out i would say one thing DO NOT, I REPEAT DO NOT BUY BELT DRIVE TURNTABLES. i dont care if you are just doing it for fun, a couple monthsof scratching/djing and your crappy belt drive tables will already be starting to deteriate. now if you cant afford serato's 700 dollar price tag dontfret. you can get m-audio torq which is only like 200 bucks. i suggest getting these things because unless you are using cdjs (dont) you are gonna kill yourpockets getting vinyl. now a days a 12inch lp is 7 dollars that 7 dollars for 1-2 songs and if you want to be a good dj you are gonna need doubles so thatmeans 14 for every son you wanna sping at that rate you would spend way more than 200 dollars to be able to spin 1/8th of the music you could when you justusing torq to control your mp3s.

also do not get cdj's they are full of crutches like loop and cue buttons and effects buttons. i have a friend who gets paid money to dj on a daily basisat clubs, parties, weddings but to this day since he started out on cdjs he is a slave to those effects and presets. im convinced that if he was forced to djwith just vinyl in an emergency he wouldnt know wth to do.

if you want to dj at a club, YOU HAVE TO START AT THE BOTTOM. start out with parties, weddings, and middle school dances and what not to break your cherry. andreally think about it as well i love djing but i would never be a club dj because 9 out of 10 you are forced to play the same top 40 bs night after night anddeal with people who dont understand that djs have sets and dont do request cause you have a nice rack (however when their song is already in your set you playit off like it was just for them and get buns) also you are going to have to be there early and stay late to break down all your stuff every time you go towork, unless they have there own dj equipment for you to use.

hope ive helped with the little info i have provided.

Back
Top Bottom