any electrical engineers in here?

i plan on going to a college in my hometown that is know for its engineering program

the college is Umass Lowell. and i was wondering what am i in for i terms of work load and all that

is it tough to pass and how did it go for you guys. when you graduated was it easy to find work

and how good does it pay? thanks in advance

i plan on goin in to this too....but i have to start from the bottom because i dont have all the physics and chem stuff...

RIP.
laugh.gif
i'm an an EE major at UCSD right now and that +*%$ is nojoke. get ready for alot of sleepless nights. all in all, its not too tough to pass if to stay on top of everything. hit the books and dont fall behind and youshould be fine.

Cosign w/ ^^^

I'm a EE at Morgan State...

TIME MANAGEMENT is probably the most important aspect of being an EE major...

I graduate this Spring, but I'm takin' 21 credits, so I'm in for it...

Idk about Umass's curriculum too well, but I've already been through:

Sleepless nights...
Spending the night at our Engineering Building...
Oral tests at 11:00 PM...
Countless labs, HW, etc. up until the very last day of the academic semester...

I could only imagine what they do up at UMASS...
tired.gif
embarassed.gif

I am an EE major at Cal Poly SLO right now. I am a freshman and I will tell you it is pretty damn hard. If you are motivated you will be alright. The thing isI didn't know what kind of engineering I wanted to do so I just randomly choose EE and it is pretty boring for me so that is probably why I don't likeit. But if you are interested in the material, you will be good. Just work hard.

I am also an EE at Cal Poly SLO, but I am in my third year. It is pretty hard considering the all the partying here, but I cruised through my 1st and 2nd year,but upper division classes are ridiculous. It's all about time management and staying on top of the material.

lots and lots and lots of math. Hope you have a laptop too you will need it. Get familiar Auto cad.

Originally Posted by bbllplaya23

I am an EE major at Cal Poly SLO right now. I am a freshman and I will tell you it is pretty damn hard. If you are motivated you will be alright. The thing is I didn't know what kind of engineering I wanted to do so I just randomly choose EE and it is pretty boring for me so that is probably why I don't like it. But if you are interested in the material, you will be good. Just work hard.
I am also an EE at Cal Poly SLO, but I am in my third year. It is pretty hard considering the all the partying here, but I cruised through my 1st and 2nd year, but upper division classes are ridiculous. It's all about time management and staying on top of the material.
Nice. I'm a SLO alumni....graduated in 2000.

It all depends on how knowledgeable you are in electronics. EE is not learning how to be an electrician. You learn how to design electronic circuits. You're basically speaking a different language in class....can be quite difficult if you can't pick it up quick.

In regards to finding a job, there's always a demand for good EE's with experience. But having experience is the key!! I would HIGHLY recommend aftera couple years of college, to take 6 months off from school and get an internship in some sort of EE field. And make sure it isn't some BS internship. That experience will go a long way in helping you get a good paying job after you graduate. And pay is all dependent of where you live. Here in the Bay Area,an EE out of college will probably start between $50K-$60K a year.

EE is probably the hardest form of engineering out there right now...but your jobs can be out sourced in an instance. That is one of the reasons why i decidednot to go into EE....One thing that i always live by, and its this..."You can never outsource a bridge"

Nuclear, Mechanical, Biomedical and Civil engineering FTW's

Son i was EE and i ran away after the first year i hope your ready for masssssss amounts of math if your not good at math i mean like that calculus level stuffthen i wont suggest it for you but its an interesting major if you get into it.

most of the better schools of engineering wont accept applicants if they don't show a strong understanding of mathematics in HS.

How did some of you guys get into the engineering dept, without a good grasp of math???

I'm a civil major but I have some friends in EE and its a lot of work, especially math and physics. I know that electrical and mechanical majors have totake CS(Computer science) course and that killed a lot of people.

I wanted to do EE but I'm in Computer Engineering and you do some of the same stuff at first... electrical circuits and the same math courses. I lovemath, and discrete math is pretty easy.
You basically need to study/read material before it's talked about in class, and do like 15 hours/week of hwk for each engineering class. Labs are tediousand hwk is tedious.

You will suffer and learn to live with an average of 4-5 hours of sleep, and spending the whole days in your computer lab.

At the end, it'll all be worth it with about a 60k starting salary for most jobs
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

I'm double majoring in computer science as well (with a minor in math), so I'll be a little more marketable
happy.gif

^^

You are a monster my dude. Comp Sci + Comp Eng = Nuts. Hats off to you.

i am a freshmen and i am already having a doubt about Comp Sci, as a matter of fact i just made a thread about it
laugh.gif

Regardless of what type of engineering you are studying, there will be a heavy workload.

You have the lives of society resting in your hands. But, getting out with a decent GPA, and a degree will be worth the money you will be bringing in. I

f you plan to make more money, then your going to have to go for your PE, but i will leave that for another discussion. Also, the hottest combo out right nowis a Bachelors in Engineering, and an MBA. You have the best of both worlds, and you can move up to management directly.

that outsourcing thing makes me scared.......
i did comp sci in college....graduated then took 6 months of doing absolutly nothing...
i was a 60's student....
i had an interview once and the interviwer was majoring in acedemic advising and he suggested i continue to university...and said also suggested electricalengineering...
he said it was a good mix....and that EE's can do what comp sci students do anyway but better...and that if ur in EE...your are forced to be specialized insomethin...while comp sci is you just learn different languages...not really specialized in one thing...

so i took some baby steps towards EE....only doing calculus and 436 science...lol.,,at night school....
i'll need like freakin 10 more classes to do to fill the prerequesites...and thats just to get into the program.....

im pretty sure this decision is plain ******ed....but i was doing nothing for 6 months and i know im not a strong java developer.......

any advice for this this lost soul????

They are outsourcing a lot of CS majors which sucks.. so that's why I wanted a engineering field as well.
CS majors have nothing on engineering majors.. i used to have fridays off for a whole year and it's impossible to have any days off in engineering..I'm studying for two midterms tomorrow and I'll be lucky if I can sleep for more than 3 hours. After my two midterms and a 30 minute meeting, I'mgoin home and putting my cell on silent and passing out
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

I wish I started working on my MBA as well since having an MBA moves you up quick, but I'll be fine and more than happy graduating with an engineeringdegree in the 3.0 range
pimp.gif

btw, if you're planning on engineering, just be prepared for this:

gonna_get_raped.jpg

You'll have some crazy hard professors that will take the life outta you.. so be prepared.

Back
Top Bottom