Any EMTs on NT? A few questions

I'm 23 and thinking of taking classes to become a certified emt in Massachusetts. I will probably not go as far as the paramedic route, just a basic emt. Emts on here feel free to answer some of these questions.

- what are the pro/cons?
- what are your hours like? (on call/regular)
- what was training like?
- overall do you like your job?

I'm an emt in ny.
I've posted about it before but ill post again in detail when I'm on my laptop.
But in short the pros outweigh the cons so go for it.

I wanted to be an emt when that show "Trauma" used to come on NBC. Looks like a very fun job.

Its disgusting how underpaid EMT's are. Whenever I'm admitting someone brought in by EMT's, I'm always surprised by their level of professionalism and overall knowledge. Can't help but think -might as well go for an RN license.

took the course last year

pros: you feel like you could save anyones life// BAWSE STATUS
is a class where you will ACTUALLY learn things

cons: studying 24/7

currently not hired anywhere im only 19 and i decided to stay in school and do my thang to further my education

as far as training, the class you will need an 8 hour cpr rescue provider course and then you get into the course, i heard that they bumped the 144 hours of class work to 180 or something i had class 2 times a week for 4 hours a day sounds kinda rough but again be ready to do work

this links both training and liking it:in the class you have to do clinicals and i did mine at a hospital where you actually engage in a medical setting, it was nerve racking at first but once you got the hang of it, it was pretty fun

so if your taking the basic class go for it, its a pretty cool class, you learn useful things and if you like it, you can go into intermediate 89/99 idk which one they got rid of and get a better job and eventually if you like that class you got paramedics.

I'm looking into becoming an emt basic which pays about 30-35k/year. Its a 4 month minimum 110 hr program. I think I can handle the workload of the program I'm just worried about finding a job once I get certified. 

blackngoldz - how often do you only work 40 hrs a week? 

Im an EMT in NY. Things vary state to state, but here was my experience.
Classes were about 4 months and a 12 hour clinical rotation. You're gonna need your MMR vaccine and TB shot too. My class was about $1000 but there are ways to get it for free (check your workforce1 center, vouchers, and local community colleges).
After getting certified I had a hard time finding a job. I couldnt get a job because I had no experience, I had no experience because I couldnt get a job. I became a volunteer EMT for the experience and to have something on my resume. I would recommend becoming a volunteer as soon as you enroll in the class (wish someone wouldve told me). You wont be certified yet and cant ride as a crew chief yet, but you can take care of clerical/administrative duties on base, dispatch, or even run as a third person on a bus lending a helping hand, familiarizing yourself with the ins and outs, and getting your feet wet with the EMS world. More importantly when you finally get certified you will have 4 months more experience than all of your peers.
After a few months I landed a paying gig as an EMT. Here is another fact I wish someone forewarned me about. You will not be handling emergencies straight out the gate. You will be dealing with patient transports. These are patients that need to be transported but are not in the medical condition to take a cab or an ambulette. For example someone with ESRD that needs to be transported to/from dialysis, a patient being txp from hospital A to hospital B because B offers a special surgery that A doesnt, a non-ambulatory 90+ year old going back to their nursing home after being discharged from the hospital.
The pay was about $11/hr. I was making more money collecting unemployment, but thats not me. Starting EMT's are grossly underpaid (in NY at least. I dont know about the rest of the country). A coworker and a RN were sort if venting together about their jobs. He brought up how underpaid he was. She didnt believe he was making $11/hr. He bought in his paystub the next day as proof and she took him out to lunch....lol
After 6 months minimum of doing transports you can apply to work on the 911 emergency calls. Your pay jumps to $15+ per hour.
My schedule was 4x9 (4 days by 9 hours) Tu-F Noon-9PM. But there were plenty of 3x12 shifts. There are also Per Diem shifts where you dont have a set schedule. Instead you are emailed available shifts and you pick and choose which ones work for you. Most placed have minimum requirements for per diems like 3 shifts per month.

Pros.
Driving a $120k emergency vehicle lights and sirens is exhilarating
On a good day you prolonged someones life
Very humbling. You realize (witness) life can stop instantaneously so you stop crying about 1st world problems.
You can make a horrible day for someone just a little bit better.
Can lead to other things (paramedic, networking with hospital staff)
The uniform
Feeling like a bawse

Cons in addition to what I already posted...
Dealing with pediatric patients can be a little depressing. Like when you're transporting a senior citizen you dont feel as bad because they lived their life, but when a 3 year old has lukemia or has faced some serious trauma, there is not an EMT alive that doesnt feel saddened. At the end of the day the job needs to get done though.
You realize how bad our medical system is. Everyone is more concerned with paperwork, $, and too busy trying to CYA that patient care takes a back seat.
Bad partners. If you dislike a coworker in an office setting, you get away from them. In an ambulance you dont have that luxury. You are sitting right next to them for a good part of your day with nowhere to hide. If my partner talks too much, too little, has offensive body odor, doesnt know protocols, cant lift or is lazy and Im having a long day.

Sorry for the long winded response. Hope that helps.

I've been looking into this blackngoldz
pimp.gif
I'll you PM once I get started for help.

blackngold1z has the NY EMT info down perfect.

Volunteering is really the way to start. If you have your EMT-B certification the larger volunteering groups will allow you to be on observing status as an EMT ( which let's you ride/go at your own pace ) and once your Crew Chiefs/Training Officer feel you're ready they'll put you on full status. At least in my experience many of the members are former and current EMS workers and the connections are always welcome, expecially if you put the time in. You'll also find out as mentioned much of the beginning is transports as 911 Emergency calls are handled by privates and the FDNY over here at least.

It's one of those jobs that you don't do it for the pay or respect for that matter from other agencies you work along side with. The instructors who were FDNY/Hospital EMTs and Paramedics though said in the end it isn't all bad and yes the pros outweigh the cons. Feeling like a bawse is a good look too
laugh.gif
pimp.gif

Good luck!

Originally Posted by biggieeb0y

I'm 23 and thinking of taking classes to become a certified emt in Massachusetts. I will probably not go as far as the paramedic route, just a basic emt. Emts on here feel free to answer some of these questions.

- what are the pro/cons?
- what are your hours like? (on call/regular)
- what was training like?
- overall do you like your job?
What part of Mass, i work at a retirement community and i am a first responder. On my way to being EMT certified once i finish the 150 hour classes and take the practical. I think the one down side is dealing with death. Have you ever held an old person while they died?
indifferent.gif
 the job is not for the faint at heart. Are you thinking more or less working on a BLS or ALS? The difference is that BLS is basic life support and the other is advance life support.  

Posting for later...
I'm a paramedic, but only working as an emt, in sd.
Got some stories n info for u, like blackngold posted

bump for my NY (and surrounding area) EMT's
Civil service exams are open for FDNY. Apply on the DCAS website

Wish me luck!!!

Blackandgold what borough you in?...my Brother-in-law is an EMT for FDNY...he went through the training for free, it' was about 6 months, plenty of OT, he does lots of mutuals so you can bang out your week in 3 days...works nights and on a slow night they just chill....pretty good job I say, get to see alot of @%@@ in the street, I think the best part is the perks, working for the FDNY/NYPD you are looked after....biggest fraternity in the world man.

Im on the Queens/Brooklyn borderline in Ridgewood, but originally from Crown Heights.
Really every city job has sweet perks. The benefits are really unmatched. But one of the best benefits to me is retiring after 25 years of service...and not being in an office every day. literally every day is different.

Back
Top Bottom