Any Engineer Majors?.... School me.

Originally Posted by Bo55Diesel

My wife is a chemical engineer and received her degree from Purdue. She tells me that chemical engineers are currently very much in demand, along with biomed and nuclear. Of course, those programs are among the most difficult types of engineering programs into which to gain admittance. She told me at Purdue all prospective engineering students take the same core courses and then they are told, based on their performance, which programs they can enter. In addition, the bottom 1/3 of the prospects are cut and not allowed to continue in any of the programs. It is a very difficult, competitive, and stressful major, but those that graduate are rewarded with very nice salaries.

You also want to check out the national ranking of the program you are considering entering. Because it is a competitive field, HR people are very cognizant of the rankings of the programs at different schools and weigh those rankings when choosing between potential new hires. My wife has been a part of the interview group for multiple new engineers at her plant and she has told me the aplicant's school definitely comes into play when the group discusses the merits of each candidate.

Pretty much.

Guys always saying school rank doesn't matter.
laugh.gif

Companies recruit at MIT, Stanford, etc. first an then work their way down the rankings. You'd be naive to seriously think the top paying companies willpick up engineers from anywhere. Out of sheer curiosity, does your wife work for an oil company?

Oh one more thing, more of a general tip for OP. If your school has an in house GPA ranking program for professors, use it.

My school has a professor gpa ranker which shows each professor, courses they taught, and the number of students that got As, Bs, Cs, etc. by semesters. Veryuseful for picking who you want. Of course if every teacher has a 2.5ish for that class then expect to get bodied.

As an example Here is the gpa ranker for my school. Georgia Tech Professor GPA Ranker

You can also go to ratemyprofessor and other nonsense sites, but those don;t give you numbers. Engineers love numbers.

Originally Posted by HypeBeast McStreetwear

I tried Civil Engineering for a semester and though I passed the intro to Engineering, I was like @%#% that. I just switch back to a Landscape Architecture major in hopes of a Urban & Regional Planning job.
Architecture is one of the lowest hiring right now.

Btw, i notice something about all engineers. They all think their job is in high demand.

Me included. Lol. Aerospace ftw!

Vector calculus ftl....=/

Originally Posted by Drunken Cow

Originally Posted by HypeBeast McStreetwear

I tried Civil Engineering for a semester and though I passed the intro to Engineering, I was like @%#% that. I just switch back to a Landscape Architecture major in hopes of a Urban & Regional Planning job.
Architecture is one of the lowest hiring right now.

Btw, i notice something about all engineers. They all think their job is in high demand.

Me included. Lol. Aerospace ftw!

Vector calculus ftl....=/
!$#% it. If I kept on the with the Engineering there's no way I'm finishing.
ohwell.gif

anybody in a master's program for civil engineering? i need some input on how thats working for you because im looking to take that up. i have a differentbachelor's degree than engineering but worked heavily with civils at my old job as a planner.

Originally Posted by ThrowedInDaGame

Originally Posted by Bo55Diesel

My wife is a chemical engineer and received her degree from Purdue. She tells me that chemical engineers are currently very much in demand, along with biomed and nuclear. Of course, those programs are among the most difficult types of engineering programs into which to gain admittance. She told me at Purdue all prospective engineering students take the same core courses and then they are told, based on their performance, which programs they can enter. In addition, the bottom 1/3 of the prospects are cut and not allowed to continue in any of the programs. It is a very difficult, competitive, and stressful major, but those that graduate are rewarded with very nice salaries.

You also want to check out the national ranking of the program you are considering entering. Because it is a competitive field, HR people are very cognizant of the rankings of the programs at different schools and weigh those rankings when choosing between potential new hires. My wife has been a part of the interview group for multiple new engineers at her plant and she has told me the aplicant's school definitely comes into play when the group discusses the merits of each candidate.

Pretty much.

Guys always saying school rank doesn't matter.
laugh.gif

Companies recruit at MIT, Stanford, etc. first an then work their way down the rankings. You'd be naive to seriously think the top paying companies will pick up engineers from anywhere. Out of sheer curiosity, does your wife work for an oil company?

Oh one more thing, more of a general tip for OP. If your school has an in house GPA ranking program for professors, use it.

My school has a professor gpa ranker which shows each professor, courses they taught, and the number of students that got As, Bs, Cs, etc. by semesters. Very useful for picking who you want. Of course if every teacher has a 2.5ish for that class then expect to get bodied.

As an example Here is the gpa ranker for my school. Georgia Tech Professor GPA Ranker

You can also go to ratemyprofessor and other nonsense sites, but those don;t give you numbers. Engineers love numbers.
She does not work for an oil company, but those companies do hire lots of chemical engineers. She works for a company that makes baby formula. Sheis the Senior Process Engineer for a line of products designed for babies who cannot digest mother's milk or standard formula. Without it, the babies wouldnot be able to get the nutrition they need and would, sadly, die. The products she helps to make save babies.
pimp.gif

I adore architecture, but job market got me worrying. I got connects but connects aint dropping money on me.

[color= rgb(102, 0, 153)]I had to take a break...going to a community college now because my schools bills are getting upthere[/color]
ohwell.gif
[color= rgb(102, 0, 153)]so i'm going from 2010 to maybe '13?[/color]

Im thinking about im starting into engineering , is it too late im 22 and would just be starting ?

Don't do engineering unless you're genuinely interested. It is a lot of work and time. I thought it was for me, but after this first year I think Imight be switching programs...

Back
Top Bottom