any guitar players here?

there's gotta be at least one or two. let's see your guitars. which one is your favorite?

here's the armada at my place, and my favorite one below that: les paul standard 60s with swapped-in seymour duncan greeny pickups in the neck and gibson dc high gain from an adam jones standard in the bridge

52898251929_7ccbffd166_c.jpg

52888895156_940f083f49_c.jpg

I have an embarrassingly large collection and am always buying, selling and trading. My guitars and pedals are nearly as bad as my sneakers and boots. Worked in a music retailers for a dozen years. My obsessions are Rickenbackers and offset Fenders with a dash of Gretsch. Will post some pictures at some point. Glad to know there is at least one other guitar player. Love that SG!

good to hear from you. this probably won't be a well-traveled thread, but maybe someone will occasionally pop in and post pics of their guitars & gear. would love seeing yours as well

I was really into playing guitar and rock/heavy metal between ages 14-20, and I just dropped it that point, not really sure why... I started learning to play on a cheap Squier, later upgraded to Ibanez RG570 cuz it's a versatile instrument and a fair value for the price, though I've always wanted a Dean From Hell (yeah, I'm a Dimebag fan...)

I was really into playing guitar and rock/heavy metal between ages 14-20, and I just dropped it that point, not really sure why... I started learning to play on a cheap Squier, later upgraded to Ibanez RG570 cuz it's a versatile instrument and a fair value for the price, though I've always wanted a Dean From Hell (yeah, I'm a Dimebag fan...)

that's awesome. I got into guitar when I was like 22 and played sporadically up until 2 years ago when I got serious about it

last year I was all about shoes and this year it's all guitars, just bought a prs s2 mccarty 594 yesterday and expect its arrival tomorrow

that's awesome. I got into guitar when I was like 22 and played sporadically up until 2 years ago when I got serious about it

last year I was all about shoes and this year it's all guitars, just bought a prs s2 mccarty 594 yesterday and expect its arrival tomorrow
Favorite genre to play? Also, are you fan of the G3 tours with Satriani, Vai, Malmsteen, Petrucci and so on?

I play typical rock guitar, jamming on classic rock songs or sometimes just picking a scale and bouncing around on it. I love pedals and audio fx so I'm always re-tooling my pedal board and seeing what happens if I move, say, the tube screamer to the front or the back of the chain. my closest buddy is also really into it, and we played for like 6 hours saturday night. he likes playing rhythm and I like doing leads, so it works out well

how about you? are you able to play any dimebag riffs? those are well beyond me but I certainly admire that level of skill and feel

my most favorite guitar of late has been the ibanez semihollow. that thing has such a rich, woody sound and I can't get enough of it

52992384995_fed471664f_c.jpg

how about you? are you able to play any dimebag riffs? those are well beyond me but I certainly admire that level of skill and feel
Ofc, these are the Pantera songs I can play almost in their entirety (with so-so accuracy, duh :smile: )
- Cowboys From Hell
- Primal Concrete Sledge (the first song in dropped D I ever tackled)
- Cemetery Gates
- Mouth for War
- Walk
- 5 Minutes Alone
- Floods

And as for how many riffs I can play (or songs without Dime's solos), that's a longer list, but my favs are: Psycho Holiday (their toughest-to-play-on-the-guitar song in my opinion), The Art of Shredding, Revolution Is My Name, I'm Broken, Living Through Me, War Nerve, Drag The Waters, Where You Come From... (so much good stuff lol)

Excellent that you and your buddy keep the spirits live with prolonged jam sessions \m/
I suppose you guys pay a lot of Zeppelin, Purple, Sabbath - right?

Back in college I stumbled across this Indian girl w/ a sick electric guitar that I knew I could eventually have. By her admission she didn’t even care for it that much ever.

Anyway I didn’t end up working that off her. Now I want a couple for the aesthetic but after learning the piano, guitar is up next down the road.

honestly, we mostly play a lot of 60s surf rock like the ventures, the shadows, **** dale, etc. great easy guitar melodies that are catchy and they're easy to pull out if someone hands me a guitar and says, play something fun!

I like that pantera line-up. first record by them I got into was cowboys so I liked seeing those. I could make something that sounded like I'm broken but that's because it can be played easily. the thing to remember is that I'm not that good yet, but I've worked hard on it for a year or two now and adding new songs and runs and licks every day

I love big thick overdriven sounds, but as I get more into pedals, I'm liking taking a clean bridge tone and piling on multiple f/x, usually at low tone and volume so it doesn't get too muddy

super excited for a prs s2 mccarty thinline to arrive this saturday. I've always wanted a push/pull pot set-up and I know I'm gonna run through every possible combo of split single pups with the humbuckers

zd0ng8b4pm78kz5z192y.jpg

NT Fam,

Stumbled across this thread while just browsing.

Tried to teach myself how to play the guitar at the beginning of the year. Bought a super cheap acoustic guitar and went with the Justin guitar/YouTube route. Not trying to start a band or anything but would like to be able to play as a hobby.

I found it was pretty difficult for me to teach myself something I didn’t know. Wasn’t even sure if I was playing the chords correctly. Fingers were hurting smh.

Any tips or other places I should learn from or is over for me?

Any tips or other places I should learn from or is over for me?

hey man, glad to hear you're interested in learning guitar. I'm high as hell and feelin nice so I'm gonna diarrhea up this thread for a minute meaning an hour and anyone gonna whine that I wrote a damn novella is warned

I've been really getting into it the past year or so. caveat that obviously ymmv, but I'm a doofy old guy who hangs out with doofy old guys, most of play and have guitars. and playing music with a buddy(s) is awesome, even if it's simple sht like the outline of a song you all know. and before I started typing this, I spent an hour getting lit and ripping out sick loud guitar scorches because I knew my neighbors weren't home. so playing solo is fun as hell too

the first thing I say is that it’s really hard to start out as a beginner on a cheap acoustic. the strings probably suck and the ‘action’ (which means the distance between the strings and the fingerboard) is gonna be murder because I’ll bet it’s high as hell. which means you’re having to press the strings down harder to get to the fingerboard which cuts into your baby’s bottom fingers and so they hurt. it’s just part of the battle, you endure butthurt fingertips the first couple weeks, there’s no getting around it, no solution, you just persevere if you want to

text exchange with my son

53039461036_0351fabe0f_w.jpg

I don’t know how much you’re willing to spend or what budget is, but man it is so much easier to learn guitar on electric than acoustic. in my opinion, the immediate return on investment with electric is so much higher. they are easier to play, it is easier to play simple sht that still sounds good or good-ish. they’re usually smaller than the bulky woody acoustics, though that may not be a benefit depending on your size. I just find it so much easier to start on an electric. the action is going to be way lower, it’ll be easier to learn to play notes then chords then scales, and electrics hide weakness or flubs much better than acoustics where every bum note is dropping dong on the table

the downside is you also have to get and buy and have stuff. you’re probably more likely to throw your acoustic into the back seat than throw your electric, and your amp, and your cables, and your power connection, and your pedals (when you get there, and you will). acoustics are simple. see guitar, grab, play. electrics gotta be all set up and plugged in and cables running back and forth

but they bring the sickness because you can play acoustic-ish, you can get funky with some reverb, you can rock the crunch, and you can noise the MF out. starting out on an acoustic, you’re the indigo girls

I’m in a big city so I’m able to cruise craigslist music instruments every day and there’s hundreds of new great deals for epiphones or squiers, both very good guitars for low prices, so that’s great for me but may not be applicable to your area if its montana or some fool place. if you were willing to spend $500, you could get a quality electric, a perfectly fine amp, cable, strap, picks, you’re done (for now, LOL)

end of rant. but if you want to learn by yourself, doing so on a cheap acoustic will require a very high level of commitment with little reward for weeks if you’re playing daily, months if not that. I just think it’s gonna be hard. conversely, getting an electric can be fun as fukk within like 15 minutes of plugging in the first time

I thought this was a pretty good guide for finger injury
https://www.grokit-live.com/post/how-to-relieve-finger-pain-on-the-guitar-for-beginners

I thought I had a million other things to bellow about but I’ve either run out of content or out of gas and besides I need to re-up. I’ll probably come write follow-up thoughts because I don’t have a lot goin on right now lol

I found it was pretty difficult for me to teach myself something I didn’t know. Wasn’t even sure if I was playing the chords correctly. Fingers were hurting smh.
Another one - niice :smile:

Yeah, I agree with almost everything ed_shed ed_shed said. For my 2 cents, I still believe that new players should tackle the acoustic guitar first and find beauty in the tough love them tougher strings provide. Also, note that (pun intended) while an "easier" instrument in terms of how deeply it'll cut your fingertips, the electric guitar will also highlight every mistake you make that much more since palm muting it is a bit trickier to accomplish. However, "jumping" to the electric guitar right away is no crime either - you're looking at at least a few months of physical pain either way...

Since you're just starting out, I'd recommend that you look for easy 3/4;4/4 exercises with up to three chords in rotation (like a-C-D over and over again until you cease making mistakes), and also try to learn the opening notes of songs like Nirvana's "The Man Who Sold the World", RHCP's "Californication", GnR's "Don't Cry", BOC's "Don't Fear the Reaper", or Boston's "More Than A Feeling".

Other essentials IMO are: learn to tune the guitar; learn to read guitar tabs; and to learn the chromatic scale by heart

And above all - the most important thing is to stay motivated and never give up - it'll get easier, I promise!

aww, poor neglected thread. just got a new custom hand-built dom de plume 'wasteland' guitar that dom constructed and painted/treated over the past six weeks. we exchanged dozens of emails about virtually every piece on this thing. there's no actual rust, dust, or crust, it's all paint and lacquer

and after almost two months of waiting, this past weekend I got a bunch of boxes delivered. spent about 2-3 hours unpacking and organizing everything, bolting, gluing, adjusting, sanding, treating, stringing, tuning, and then FINALLY playing. and mf-er plays like a beautiful nightmare with that loud p-90 pickup in the bridge. it's not *the* best-sounding one in my line-up but as a one-of-one, I love it
53159538420_e4d433d35a_c.jpg

edit: took out photo, out of date, we're not animals

The Guitarmy
  • Fender Player Stratocaster HSS 2021
  • Fender American Professional I Telecaster Sunburst 2016
  • Fender Cobain Jaguar Sunburst 2022
  • Fender Jim Adkins JA-90 Telecaster Thinline
  • Gibson SG Standard ‘61 Tobacco Burst
  • Gibson Les Paul Standard '60s Bourbon Burst - SD Greeny & Gibson DC Standard HG
  • Gibson Les Paul Special Tribute P90
  • Ibanez AM93ME Artcore Expressionist Macassar Ebony Semi-Hollow Body
  • Ibanez Mezzo SRMD200 Bass - Burnt Orange
  • PRS S2 McCarty 594 Thinline - Frost Green Metallic
  • Dom De Plume Custom Wasteland P-90 Partscaster
  • Jackson Rhoads JS32T FSR
  • Breedlove Passport C250/CMe Acoustic-Electric
  • Cordoba Cadete Classical 3/4 Size Nylon String
  • Rogue 5 String Bass
  • Squier Bullet in pieces scattered around the house
  • Yamaha Unknown Acoustic 3/4 Size

Last edited:
The Guitarmy
  • Fender Player Stratocaster HSS 2021
  • Fender American Professional I Telecaster Sunburst 2016
  • Fender Cobain Jaguar Sunburst 2022
  • Fender Jim Adkins JA-90 Telecaster Thinline
  • Gibson SG Standard ‘61 Tobacco Burst
  • Gibson Les Paul Standard '60s Bourbon Burst - SD Greeny & Gibson DC Standard HG
  • Gibson Les Paul Special Tribute P90
  • Ibanez AM93ME Artcore Expressionist Macassar Ebony Semi-Hollow Body
  • Ibanez Mezzo SRMD200 Bass - Burnt Orange
  • PRS S2 McCarty 594 Thinline - Frost Green Metallic
  • Dom De Plume Custom Wasteland P-90 Partscaster
  • Jackson Rhoads JS32T FSR
  • Breedlove Passport C250/CMe Acoustic-Electric
  • Cordoba Cadete Classical 3/4 Size Nylon String
  • Rogue 5 String Bass
  • Squier Bullet in pieces scattered around the house
  • Yamaha Unknown Acoustic 3/4 Size
Wow, what are you prepping for? That's a lot of firepower :smile:

I transitioned easily from obsession with sneakers to guitars. sneakers are great for making an outfit great, which benefits external me, but getting a new good guitar means hour after hour, up to the hundreds, of fun musical times. the downside is this mostly benefits internal me, since I'm a home player/jam with a buddy rather than playing gigs on-stage. but my sneaky power is that my main man also plays and we play at least twice a week and have done so since fall 2022 so we're starting to build a setlist and I've got some plans to work up a goddamn wedding band. both of us have 30+ yr careers in wash dc, lots of savings, and are looking for any reason to retire our fulltime jobs and if we can pull $500+ each for a gig, that's all I need to hear

unfortunately usually after 20 minutes of practicing canon in D or some other wedding hit, we typically devolve into jamming 60s surf guitar music for four hours while hitting bowls and famous grouse. so if you're thinking about a surf safari wedding, I've got a little something to sell to you and it goes a little like this [sick 'walk don't run' jam]

edit: seriously, this shi is so good

Last edited:
but my sneaky power is that my main man also plays and we play at least twice a week and have done so since fall 2022 so we're starting to build a setlist and I've got some plans to work up a goddamn wedding band. both of us have 30+ yr careers in wash dc, lots of savings, and are looking for any reason to retire our fulltime jobs and if we can pull $500+ each for a gig, that's all I need to hear
God's speed, I wish you the best of luck! That truly would be a divine and epic way to bookend your guys' respective careers haha

I'll check that out for sure

messin around tonight. goddamn I wish I could cure guitar face. I literally tell myself before I start, keep your face loose or you look a goose. and yet here we are

this is the guitarmy as of now, with a few that didn't make the pic for space and dignity reasons. I should be set with this guitarsenal until I see a sick deal on a gib 339 and then you know I'm snot-blowing that 'purchase now' button from 18 feet out and hand in face. fukkin guitars, I love'em, I had a buddy come over tonight who is astonishingly good and we jammed the entirety of amazon football lol giants CYA

edited as I've got some new babies
53235647318_997433008e_c.jpg

Last edited:
don't mind me, I just want to spread my filth everywhere I see life. which ... is not in this thread lol. oh welp!

Back
Top Bottom