Any NT'ers make a big shift in majors/careers?

Just wondering what you guys did and what you switched into, your experiences with it. I might be switching majors soon and Im actually excited to be pursuingsomething that interests me.

I went from Engineering to Business Administration. Wish I graduated w/ an engineering degree. While getting my BA, I concentrated in Finance and ManagementInformation Systems. I am now in Business Development at an Internet display advertising demand side platform.

Im currently a Microbio major in Pre Med but I'm almost definitely going to change to Architecture. I may end up graduating a year late and have to pay ayears worth of tuition that my scholarship wont cover though. Still in the long run I dont think its that much a difference. Trying to see if its at allpossible if I can make up for lost time/start immediately.

Originally Posted by CherryRed

^What don't you like about Microbio?
Im not interested in it at all. I only picked it because its a good major to pursue if you're going to med school. Medicine was what I wentwith because I knew I could do it but I'm starting to realize now that I'm not at all motivated/interested in it. I just went with it and ignoredarchitecture to please my parents. I'd much rather go into something I'm interested in and enjoy what I do and thirst to improve rather than keepsettling.

I originally started in Business, and switched to Behavioral Science (psych).

I really enjoyed my new major but in the real world, it means very little.

Personally im alright that i made the change but financially i could be better off if i hadnt.

I was a Bio major when I started my undergrad in the Fall of '03. I was pre-med with hopes of following in my dad's footstep. I interned for my doctorabout 2 years later and didn't like it at all. I thought pre dentistry would work until I interned for my dentist as well.

I ultimately switched to Environmental And Occupational Health. I graduated with a BS in Spring of '09. I'm in the Masters program now for the samemajor and will get an MS in Fall of 2010.

Originally Posted by wj4

I was a Bio major when I started my undergrad in the Fall of '03. I was pre-med with hopes of following in my dad's footstep. I interned for my doctor about 2 years later and didn't like it at all. I thought pre dentistry would work until I interned for my dentist as well.

I ultimately switched to Environmental And Occupational Health. I graduated with a BS in Spring of '09. I'm in the Masters program now for the same major and will get an MS in Fall of 2010.
Do you enjoy school compared to when you were fulfilling pre dental/med requisites? Howd your dad take that shift in careers? I honestly think thehardest part of this transition is explaining it all to my dad.

Originally Posted by HAM CITY

Switched from architecture to Economics. Best decision of my life.
What didnt you like about architecture? Im really interested in hearing from people who were in it. Was it something you thought you'd loveand ended up hating?

Architecture is OD.

Gotta get BA & masters... then intern for like 4 years and then take a 2 year test.
laugh.gif

my friend is an architecture major and all he does is build models all day long.

Originally Posted by JordanPP30

Architecture is OD.

Gotta get BA & masters... then intern for like 4 years and then take a 2 year test.
laugh.gif

my friend is an architecture major and all he does is build models all day long.

laugh.gif
Yeah Im aware that it takes a long time, but if I were to continue premed itd be 4 year undergrad, 4 year grad, + specializing (I was considering orthopedic surgery) + residency.... So time isnt the issue as long as Im doingsomething I enjoy.

Originally Posted by AgentArenas

What didnt you like about architecture? Im really interested in hearing from people who were in it. Was it something you thought you'd love and ended up hating?
It's something I thought I loved and found out I only had a genuine interest in.

What made me switched is that I wanted a life. At any school with a legitimate architecture program, you're looking at 40-60 hours a week oflecture/studio/project work. That kind of commitment takes unconditional love.
laugh.gif

I know I made the right choice because I'm a pursuing an econ degree not for a definitive future career but completely for personal growth as it'ssomething I truly want a fundamental understanding of.

What didnt you like about architecture? Im really interested in hearing from people who were in it. Was it something you thought you'd love and ended up hating?
It's something I thought I loved and found out I only had a genuine interest in.

What made me switched is that I wanted a life. At any school with a legitimate architecture program, you're looking at 40-60 hours a week of lecture/studio/project work. That kind of commitment takes unconditional love.
laugh.gif

I know I made the right choice because I'm a pursuing an econ degree not for a definitive future career but completely for personal growth as it's something I truly want a fundamental understanding of.

Oh. Yeah that makes a lot of sense. Its great you found something else you were interested in. Personally I feel like I would love something like architecturebecause Im the kind of person that can just sit for hours thinking of how to design something/improve a design. That's the sort of thing I enjoy. Is thatsomething you had and just couldnt go with arch? Sorry for the questions but there aren't too many people I can ask
laugh.gif

Also if I were to transfer into the school of arch within the same college, do I still need to wait a year and submit a portfolio? I dont really have anyartwork
frown.gif

Oh. Yeah that makes a lot of sense. Its great you found something else you were interested in. Personally I feel like I would love something like architecture because Im the kind of person that can just sit for hours thinking of how to design something/improve a design. That's the sort of thing I enjoy. Is that something you had and just couldnt go with arch? Sorry for the questions but there aren't too many people I can ask
laugh.gif

Also if I were to transfer into the school of arch within the same college, do I still need to wait a year and submit a portfolio? I dont really have any artwork
frown.gif
Ever since I was a kid I loved to conceptualize images in my head of buildings I wanted to design. I found the difference between doing that, andactually dealing with the frustrations of building the models, whether physically or digitally to be immense.

If you don't have any material, I wouldn't worry about a portfolio, you don't need to wait and build one up.

laugh.gif

Economics to Architecture.

Best decision of my life!

The workload is intense and there's no room for anything outside of architecture. You have to really love it.

Originally Posted by Dunkaroos

laugh.gif

Economics to Architecture.

Best decision of my life!

The workload is intense and there's no room for anything outside of architecture. You have to really love it.
laugh.gif
The range of interest people have is both reassuring andscary
laugh.gif

How do you like arch so far? What didn't you see coming when you switched in? How'd you know you wanted to shift gears and pursue it as a career? Ifeel like its right for me but i need to be absolutely positive while moving quickly at the same time... is it at all possible to switch for spring sem or willit take til next fall?

I'm currently a business major but I'm trying to switch into film and tv production. I'm really not interested in business at all and theintroductory business course that all the freshmen have to take just solidified that.

Originally Posted by RATxAxTAT

I'm currently a business major but I'm trying to switch into film and tv production. I'm really not interested in business at all and the introductory business course that all the freshmen have to take just solidified that.
laugh.gif

Same thing with me, just replace business with microbio. I cant fathom the idea of 8+ years of it.

I went from Pre-Med to Sociology to English, and now (and final) I'm double majoring in English and Film/TV Production with under a year to go.

I switched from computer info systems to nursing. I realized how boring CIS was, and how the medical field is going to always be good field to be in.

I was a marketing major for freshman and half of sophomore year. Now I'm junior Exercise Science major... big switch

Back
Top Bottom