Any Physicians/Doctors out there?

Originally Posted by tmoney85

Originally Posted by UTVOL23

tmoney85 wrote:

UTVOL23 wrote:

mco85 wrote:

Ill be starting my third year in June, about to start studying for step 1 right now
Good luck. First Aid and UsmleWorld can get you over 240 easily well i guess i shouldnt say easily but it is more than enough if you are just
reviewing now. The key is questions questions questions.
hopefully taking my steps late march or early april... ive done uWorld once, need to do it a second time after reviewing first aid. good luck
mco85

Wow march and april is really early. Make sure you are ready. I would also recommend taking the NBME practice exams they are good indicators of
where you are i scored 15 points higher on my real STEP1 than on my highest NBME practice exam, and pretty much every classmate i talked to scored right around
or higher than what the practice predicted.

oh,.. i mentioned it on the first page of teh thread but im a foreign student (st. george university in the Caribbean ) so it will be 3 months of studying for it.... i was suppose to take it this week but i lost a lot of mojo around mid feb and got sick of studying for like 10 days or so, thus it pushed me back a few weeks. Also, we start rotating june first so i have till mid april to take it so im just reviewing my first aid as many times as i can. I am taking my first NBME this monday, then the rest of the 6 in the following 2-3 weeks and if im happy, then im just gonna go ahead and take it. those kaplan videos got really annoying
tired.gif
but now mojo is back so wish me luck
wink.gif

Did you pay for the Kaplan vids or just download them? Were they helpful? Im about to start my studying and I can't decide if I want to go the Kaplan route

Originally Posted by mco85

Ill be starting my third year in June, about to start studying for step 1 right now
Good luck. First Aid and UsmleWorld can get you over 240 easily well i guess i shouldnt say easily but it is more than enough if you are just reviewing now. The key is questions questions questions.
hopefully taking my steps late march or early april... ive done uWorld once, need to do it a second time after reviewing first aid. good luck mco85
Wow march and april is really early. Make sure you are ready. I would also recommend taking the NBME practice exams they are good indicators of where you are i scored 15 points higher on my real STEP1 than on my highest NBME practice exam, and pretty much every classmate i talked to scored right around or higher than what the practice predicted.

couple questions:

1) my roommate has a few NBME tests and many questions are 1 line vignettes... how would this serve as a representation of the actual exam? Isnt the actual exam more like uworld with long convoluted vignettes and distractors?
2) Which of the NBME are most legit? I have heard that test numbers 4 and 5 are the most representative... or are people just pulling my leg? i plan on doing all of them....

thanks in advance

What did you match? you start residency soon right? where at?
I think that the NBME's were pretty representative of the real thing I guess on avg the stems may have been a little shorter than the realthing but they seem to do a good job of predicting your score mostly underpredicting it. The free questions that they give on the NBME site are a joke and notwhat you will actually see on the real thing at all.
If I remember correctly #3 and 4 were the hardest I thought but I scored in the same area on all of them. There were only 4 available when I took them. This isjust my opinion but if you are scoring in the 230 and up area on the practice tests you can expect that if not above 240 on the real thing.

I find out if I match in Radiology Monday (March 16th) and find out where I am going March 19th. Residency starts in the end of June.

I had typed out a whole lot more in regards to your questions but somehow it all got erased and now i dont remember what i put.

I wanna be a physician

Anyone here can tell me how?

i live in the bay area, so im tryin for UC Davis
im at DLSHS

Good luck to those who still have USMLE's to take. Glad that stuff is in my rear view mirror.

I had to take the in-training exam this week at Prometric for fellowship. Brought back some bad memories haha.

What did some of you med students/ grads have on your application when you applied? Is research a must to be a strong candidate? Has anybody done EMS incollege?

Originally Posted by nycsemaj

What did some of you med students/ grads have on your application when you applied? Is research a must to be a strong candidate? Has anybody done EMS in college?

depends on the school, some schools want their applicants to have done some research but its not a requirement.

Originally Posted by Three00ZeeX

Originally Posted by minah86

so...am I the only one who took the DO route?
smile.gif

nope midwestern CCOM here... where do u go?
that's cool...i'll be at midwestern azcom for my first year this fall. i wanted to go to ccom, but things didn't work out like iwanted. nice job!

I will be starting MEDPREP in June at Southern Illinois University. Has anyone on NT been through this program or know of any fellow med students that have? Mygirl will be starting in August at their law school there. So we will definitely be arguing on who has a harder workload. Thanks.

Also for those of you prepping for step 1 now try to get your hands on golijan's high yield notes and audio lectures. They are GREAT! I listened to himover and over again put em on cds on my mp3 player to listen to as i worked out wash my car etc. He does pathology but he incorporates everything into hislectures they got me tons of questions right on the step some of the examples he gives were almost word for word questions on the actual exam.

Originally Posted by nycsemaj

What did some of you med students/ grads have on your application when you applied? Is research a must to be a strong candidate? Has anybody done EMS in college?

Good GPA
Good science GPA
Strong MCAT
Major in what you enjoy and are good at....this is important...don't take hard courses if you don't have to.
laugh.gif

Extracurriculars/leadership....do something that you're passionate about outside academics that makes you stand out.
Clinical experience-underrated (volunteer/shadow/hospital/clinic employment)

If you're interested in research do it, but make sure it's valuable experience. Some people do research just to say they did it.

smh.gif
The rejections are comingin. I was living too good for a minute. Doing it, I thought I was.

Well the long wait is over I found out today I MATCHED and WILL be a RADIOLOGIST! Now I just have to wait till thursday to find out where I am going. Hopeeverything went well for everyone else who was matching today (Three00)

Future Respiratory Therapist here with one simple request for all you Physicians-To-Be... please have good penmanship! Please, I beg of you!

Thanks
wink.gif

Originally Posted by Paul Is On Tilt

Future Respiratory Therapist here with one simple request for all you Physicians-To-Be... please have good penmanship! Please, I beg of you!

Thanks
wink.gif

lol. I am an Occupational Therapist, and legibility is of the utmost importance in the medical field. My dad is a doc, and I can't read a damn thing hewrites.

Any more tips from those who have experienced applying to med school have for those hopeful med students to be?

Pssssh. It's all about the dentists/orthodontists.

How hard are the pre-reqs?

Back
Top Bottom