Any Straight Razor Users on NT (Shaving Related)

I was bored with my shaving routine so decided that i wanted to buy a straight razor and a shaving bowl with shaving soap.
I bought a shavette which is a straight razor with a removable razor blade. unforgiving, but from what ive read its a great and cheap way to learn.

I will say, after my first attempt my neck was definitely cut up 
laugh.gif

Any other NTers shave with a straight razor?

Any advice or wisdom to give to those trying to learn how?

heres a picture of a shavette and the blades that go in it (you have to snap them in half to fit them. the ones i got came presnapped).

2gvikya.jpg

wrdeg7.jpg

video on how to

Yeah I've been using a straight razor for a few years now. Your first 2 weeks will suck cause your face is still getting used to getting worked over. But after that you'll get used to it.
Tips:
Shave every other day. I'm not sure how fast you grow facial hair but don't let it get long at all, it'll just pull more.
Do it after you take a hot shower so your whiskers soften up.
Hold your skin taunt when you shave. Use your other hand to strech your skin so it's smoother.
Find a barber shop that will give you a straight razor shave and observe how they do it.

check out http://www.theartofshaving.com/ when you want to move onto legit shave gear.

im glad you specified that this was a shaving thread.

the last thing NT needs is a 'Team Shank 'Em!'

simply the best shave i have EVER had in my life. IMO
yeah your first time, you will bleed no doubt.. within time you will shave with 10- 20 mins. HOT WATER only.. and lather well.
the goal is to glide and let the razor do the work.
dont apply pressure or anything. invest in a great badger hair brush. blades are cents to dimes for each one.
look into a safety razor to begin with then work yourself into straight but its up to you... you can and will scar yourself.

Raises hand. It has made shaving from a chore to a pleasurable experience. you can never shave in a rush tho. The first few times my face was so bloody I looked like I was in a horror flick. Will probably post more when i'm on my comp.

wrdeg7.jpg

my dad used these but it wasnt in the flip blade thing, it was a steel handle and looked like it was from the 50's, whats it called? might have to start using it. tried it before and was difficult as hell but i know the shave is good as hell

EDIT: guess its a safety razor
laugh.gif
those are still really good right?

i have the same set up as you.  you can get blades you don't have to snap in half too.  i don't really have any tips that haven't been said.  you'll get better but every once and a while you'll still get yourself. 

I've been using the same Gilette Fusion razor that I got for free when someone poste the offer on NT. �It's been like 5-6 years now.
eek.gif
laugh.gif
� I have NEVER changed the blade one, granted I only shave like once or twice a week (strictly balls). �

Once I feel my hair start to pull. �I do this.

For anyone with a disposable just push your blade against some jeans or your skin the opposite way (don't shave, push the opposite way). �This will straightten the blade and make it shave like new again.

I do, I don't have much facial hair but I've been using it for years now and it's just natural. I have the same thing you have, I actually also use it to straighten up my penis area which is actually a lot easier imo then a safety razor and since the blades are disposable I can use it for both.

Black males should NOT use straight razors because of pseudofoliticus barbae i.e. RAZOR BUMPS

Black guys have actually won lawsuits from their employers forcing them to be clean shaven.

Originally Posted by AyoDun

I do, I don't have much facial hair but I've been using it for years now and it's just natural. I have the same thing you have, I actually also use it to straighten up my penis area which is actually a lot easier imo then a safety razor and since the blades are disposable I can use it for both.
I've debated doing this

Originally Posted by Zyzz

EDIT: guess its a safety razor
laugh.gif
those are still really good right?
Definitely. It's a matter of preference, really. I've heard/read that safety razors are more for home use, whereas with straight razors you have someone else do it for you. Of course, you can still use the straight razor yourself (which plenty do), but a barber would also give you a shave using one (rather than a safety razor).
When I switched to safety razors I also upgraded my whole shave kit with better soap, a brush, after shave lotion, occasionally even a pre-shave cream as well. The initial cost is higher, but you end up saving a lot of money in the long run and getting a higher quality shave. I used to get razor bumps and irritation all the time, now I never do and my face has never felt better.

Originally Posted by sillyputty

Black males should NOT use straight razors because of pseudofoliticus barbae i.e. RAZOR BUMPS

Black guys have actually won lawsuits from their employers forcing them to be clean shaven.

That is wild.

found this on wikipedia btw.
http://dermnetnz.org/acne...folliculitis-barbae.html

When you resume shaving, use a single blade razor. Double blade razors cut the hairs too short allowing them to grow in.

when i have my goatee in the off season i use a straight razor...once you get the hang of it...it is sooo smooth and precise...

Spoiler [+]
keyword being...ONCE

Back
Top Bottom