Any Teachers On NT? Vol:School Me

Sort of made up my mind on the career path I want to pursue. I want to become a teacher...maybe a social worker if that doesn't work out.

I want to teach in a high school or college whichever is better. College I assume but won't I need more credentials to be able to work there as opposed to a high school?

Perks/negatives of of being a teacher?

What types of BA/Master degrees will guarantee me a job in the work field?(if possible)

Teacher experiences? I want to hear it all.
happy.gif

Sort of made up my mind on the career path I want to pursue. I want to become a teacher...maybe a social worker if that doesn't work out.

I want to teach in a high school or college whichever is better. College I assume but won't I need more credentials to be able to work there as opposed to a high school?

Perks/negatives of of being a teacher?

What types of BA/Master degrees will guarantee me a job in the work field?(if possible)

Teacher experiences? I want to hear it all.
happy.gif

Pretty sure one needs a Ph.D to realistically get a position at a college or university. At a good one, not even a question.
Many of my HS teachers had master's degrees.

Pretty sure one needs a Ph.D to realistically get a position at a college or university. At a good one, not even a question.

if youre gonna be a high school teacher prepare to get no respect, teachers at my school got clowned from 830 till 300 every day
pimp.gif

if youre gonna be a high school teacher prepare to get no respect, teachers at my school got clowned from 830 till 300 every day
pimp.gif

pimp.gif

pimp.gif

Originally Posted by bijald0331

What about part time courses like Early Start programs etc? Would one need a doctorate degree to teacher Entry courses like Remediation or General Education? I'm taking those right now and most of the people teaching em are HS teachers or ppl that are in teaching programs.

Originally Posted by bijald0331

What about part time courses like Early Start programs etc? Would one need a doctorate degree to teacher Entry courses like Remediation or General Education? I'm taking those right now and most of the people teaching em are HS teachers or ppl that are in teaching programs.

If you want to teach high school, you usually go through an education program in undergrad, then get your masters in it. It varies by state whether you need a masters and teacher certification or just a bachelors and certification, and it varies by university whether you are able to get that certification without going to graduate school. Also, when school systems are looking at candidates, they usually have so many applicants with masters degrees that those with only bachelors aren't even considered.

If you want to teach at the college level, a masters is the absolute minimum required, even at community colleges (unless you are teaching nursing.) This masters degree is in the area you want to teach, like Psychology or Engineering. If you want to go this route, you should be looking at getting a degree beyond a masters. Also, most college professors are required to do research and write/present papers in addition to teaching their classes.

If you want to teach high school, you usually go through an education program in undergrad, then get your masters in it. It varies by state whether you need a masters and teacher certification or just a bachelors and certification, and it varies by university whether you are able to get that certification without going to graduate school. Also, when school systems are looking at candidates, they usually have so many applicants with masters degrees that those with only bachelors aren't even considered.

If you want to teach at the college level, a masters is the absolute minimum required, even at community colleges (unless you are teaching nursing.) This masters degree is in the area you want to teach, like Psychology or Engineering. If you want to go this route, you should be looking at getting a degree beyond a masters. Also, most college professors are required to do research and write/present papers in addition to teaching their classes.

^You can be a lecturer at a college/university and not have the research requirement. I don't think tenure would be available in that path but it is a job.

I have no idea about remedial classes and all that. Wouldn't there be a lack of job security? Seems like a high-turnover/stepping stone position.

^You can be a lecturer at a college/university and not have the research requirement. I don't think tenure would be available in that path but it is a job.

I have no idea about remedial classes and all that. Wouldn't there be a lack of job security? Seems like a high-turnover/stepping stone position.

I live in Cali if that matters. It's gonna be a trip if I'm able to teach at my old high school. Teaching with my teachers.
roll.gif

They have a program where ppl that are set on what they want be. But I don't want to be in a position where some prick tells me I should take said classes then find out they don't count towards my goals.

I live in Cali if that matters. It's gonna be a trip if I'm able to teach at my old high school. Teaching with my teachers.
roll.gif

They have a program where ppl that are set on what they want be. But I don't want to be in a position where some prick tells me I should take said classes then find out they don't count towards my goals.

All this is nonsense... I am a current teacher in a high school. You do not need a masters degree, however you will need to get citified by passing a series of test. Its a great job mainly because you have the ability to positively effect lives.

Back
Top Bottom