Any vegeterians/vegans on NT?

In January I was diagnosed with lymphoma, so I gave up drinking, red meat, etc. Anywho I want to go a healthier route and I've started a vegan diet. NowI'd like to know any recipes any vegetarian/vegan NT'ers follow to not get bored of eating the same thing.

I'm a vegetarian, but I don't have any recipes because my mom cooks all the time. There are alot of places that have veggie foods those just looksaround .

Yum!

Grilled_Steak.jpg

edit: hope you get better. lymphoma's no joke, from what i hear.

The only meat I eat is turkey ... a lot of people still consider me a vegetarian though ...

But me ? One day I didn't say , "Yo , I'm not going to eat meat ."
I just never liked it .

It's soooooo much out there to eat (not really) .

Fruit ...
pimp.gif

Good luck with your illness man. I don't think i could do it. I would go into some kind of crackhead rejection from meat if I didn't have it for awhole week. I would be a sweaty, shaking, nervous mess.

Can you eat things with broth? Theres still plenty of soups you can make minus the meat, that should still taste pretty good.

Originally Posted by IRAPTHOUGH

The only meat I eat is turkey ... a lot of people still consider me a vegetarian though ...

But me ? One day I didn't say , "Yo , I'm not going to eat meat ."
I just never liked it .

It's soooooo much out there to eat (not really) .

Fruit ...
pimp.gif

I'm the same way but I only eat chicken, and I'm a picky eater so if I didn't have chicken I'd probably die lol.

As for recipes and stuff I can't really think of any, I lived with three vegetarians before, one ate fake meat (that tofu crap) the others normally atethings like curry chick peas and potatoes. The one was a hard core vegetarian though, she wouldn't even eat marsh mellows because of something in it.
grin.gif

Good luck with your illness man, just try googling some vegetarian recipes and all that I'm sure you'll find some good stuff.

Ive been a vegetarian for 5 months now...it really isnt as hard as people presume it to be.

anyways one of my quick and go to recipes is vegetarian burritos.

basically you need soy ground beef, corn in a can, black beans in a can, taco seasoning, and other things you would put into your burritos, lettuce tomatoesetc.

you just mix all of these things, with water of course into a large pan for about 10 mins. Turn of the heat and let it settle for a little bit...but it ontoone of those wheat tortilla/burrito wraps and walah!

Stuff is mad fast and easy to make...and it tastes just like real meat since the seasoning covers up the taste.

Ill post up some more elaborate stuff when i have more time...good luck though bro and i hope you get better.

Thanks for some of the suggestions. As far as the Lymphoma goes, I had surgery to remove the cancerous Lymph Node(under my jaw), got a PET/CT scan and thecancer didn't spread, it has stayed where the Lymph Node was removed. I'll begin treatment shortly to remove the rest of whatever cancer is left.

I think the main reason that more people aren't vegetarian is based on my two theories.

1 - They are scared of what people would think of them

2 - They don't know what to eat if they were vegetarian.

When people at work find out I'm vegetarian the first thing they say is "So what do you eat if you don't eat meat?"

LOL - I eat food morons. For 99% of every meat item there is a "fake' meat substitute. I eat absolutely the same thing as everybody else just in a lildifferent way. I've been a vegetarian my entire life. Going on 24 yrs and I've never had a problem finding something to eat.

Check out this website for TONS of vegetarian meat substitutes. I've been eating their foods my entire life. As with anything veggie it's not gonnataste 100% like real meat, but with enough practice and "testing" you will easily find a good way to cook/season to make it very enjoyable.

http://www.kelloggs.com/brand/worthington/

Anyways I got school I should be doing. I'm out.

Oh yeah forgot something.

Worthington food products are most likely available in your local grocery store. Canned stuff would be in the Organic section and there will prob be a smallsection in the freezer aisle mixed in with the Boca Burger stuff. It is more expensive at the grocery store. If you live in a larger town that has a healthfood store check there cuz it's prob sold cheaper there as well. Also being that these foods are a product of Kellogs and kellogs being a Seventh-DayAdventist started business. Check around to see if you have an Adventist Book Center in your area. If you live in Loma Linda, CA or Battle Creek, MI you willdef have them. There are also some in Orlando, FL. They are sold MUCH cheaper there than in stores.

Also I saw you can order on amazon.com

I could never do it, but I have heard a little about it. When you go from eating meat to a vegan diet a lot of stress can occur on the body, so like someonementioned make sure you take supplements. Also you should take it slow and gradually move from eating meat to going vegan. sort of in stages, so your bodybecomes used to the change a little better. For example, don't eat red meat for a while and then when you get used to that, take out chicken, then fishthen dairy etc. This is what many vegans/vegetarians say is the best way to get on and stay on a non-meat/dairy diet.

btw Boca burgers =
pimp.gif

Glad to hear that things are going good for you now. Good luck!

Been one for the past 14-15 years or so. Don't really have any specific recipes. I'm usually too lazy to cook for myself but when I do it's justusually rice and steamed vegetables. Tofu is a necessity though I don't eat it everyday. If you don't have a rice cooker, I recommend getting one,almost anything can go with rice.

I've been a vegetarian for most of my life. Like it was said earlier, Indian food is mostly vegetarian, so you're safe there. You can go to an Indianrestaurant for a buffet and usually they change the items on the list everyday, so you get something new.

I'm Indian, so I just cook the regular food that Indians eat; curry, bread, soup.

There are plenty of vegetarian foods out there, you just need to find what you like. I can't recommend what you should eat because I don't know whatyour taste is. Just look around, there is MORE THAN ENOUGH food out there, vegetarian food at that.

Its really not that hard but thats easy for me cuz Ive done it since i was a lil kid.

- try pizza, straight cheese or with some veggies
- try making pasta with regular tomato pasta sauce(veggies optional)
- veggie sub fomr subway, veggie burger from Bk, taco bell 7 layer burrito
(all stuff you can make at home or buy on the go)
- Indian food etc

I could go on and on with the indian recipes but you have to tailor it to your tastes. With anything, frequency and recency will turn it into a habit and youwont even notice the difference.

Just make sure you get your full complement of vitamins(mainly b12) and essential amino acids (meat contains all of them but vegetarians have to eat combos offood like beans and corn which will give us our full complement needed by our bodies to make proteins) Sprulina I believe is 1 veggie plant that has all of theessential amino acids needed.

Also try making fruit smoothies with protien powder. Hope you get a clean bill of health.

Back
Top Bottom