Any Waiters On NT??

Summer's on it's way, and i'm  in need of a gig in NY...tired of the retail world, and i have friend's who've made bank doing this. I have no experience in the food business other than prepping fruit, but this isn;t rocket science right? Would you recommend this? and please share any past experience,advice, etc

I ammm.. It's alright for now. Recently graduated from college and still waiting on other things to pop off but until then, bringing home 120+ on weekend nights is pretty good money.

laugh.gif
at "this isn't rocket science right?" Way to insult the people you are asking for help/info from. If you were ordering a drink, they'd be spitting in it right now. But I agree with you, looks pretty mindless. You don't even have to time how long to leave a medium cup under the faucet to fill to the brink without it foaming up and overflowing, they got that pre programmed into the fountain.
laugh.gif
You'll make good money though because despite how simpleton it is, the whole tip and "service industry" fraud will work in your favor.

Originally Posted by Scientific Method

laugh.gif
at "this isn't rocket science right?" Way to insult the people you are asking for help/info from. If you were ordering a drink, they'd be spitting in it right now. But I agree with you, looks pretty mindless. You don't even have to time how long to leave a medium cup under the faucet to fill to the brink without it foaming up and overflowing, they got that pre programmed into the fountain.
laugh.gif
You'll make good money though because despite how simpleton it is, the whole tip and "service industry" fraud will work in your favor.

.haha nah man, i aint mean any disrespect..i don't knock anyone making a living...i was implying(or trying to at least) that the actual serving part isn't as essential as the customer service aspect .

Yeah it's good money I do it currently. BUUTTT start now because you won't just jump in and start serving. Get a Hosting/expo/bussing job now just to get the feel of the restaurant and then you'll move to serving. It sucks but it does help too. Once you do a month or 2 of that just do a good job and you'll be able to serve and make some good money.

Originally Posted by Glockwork3

Yeah it's good money I do it currently. BUUTTT start now because you won't just jump in and start serving. Get a Hosting/expo/bussing job now just to get the feel of the restaurant and then you'll move to serving. It sucks but it does help too. Once you do a month or 2 of that just do a good job and you'll be able to serve and make some good money.

yeah...i only want to do it for the summer,so i guess i maintain the hosting/bussing job

how do you feel if someone tips less than 15%? does it actually bother you? im thinking of going lower.

Originally Posted by Mycoldyourdone

how do you feel if someone tips less than 15%? does it actually bother you? im thinking of going lower.

real life...
better than 10% or no tip...

dont go lower
laugh.gif
mad.gif
indifferent.gif

Anyone that does this for a living realizes the amount of stress it puts on the body mentally and physically. Over time, it just wears you down. And over time you cannot simply catch up to the speed of things as your body ages.

These gigs are for the young. You don't want to be trapped in it forever.

I do it now while I'm in college, flexible hours because there's always people thirsting for shifts. Moneys also good and I don't even work anywhere nice (applebee's). I bring in about 120 on weekdays and 150 on weekends. Hours kinda suck though because it is most likely the opposite of what all your friends work so when they go out at night your more than likely working until 10-12.

Yeah I use to be a waiter... know this... yeah you make good money... well depends... but for the most part you make good money, but just as fast as you make it is as fast as it goes.

You get paid cash everynight and you'll be blowing that money lol.

It's an alright job, but don't tell people you make a lot of money... one dude you used to make good money and he bragged to people or to someone... needless to say he got his +## stuck up on the F train on the way home a night lol.

I wouldn't mind doing this job again for extra money... it can be stressful but mostly because of the customers... some can be a real handful.

You also will come to realize that a lot of other waiters have some type of drug or alcohol addiction.

Also, a lot of them steal... liquor, people credit card info... all types of crap lol.

I lost my job because you have to weal all black shoes and I was wearing my all black Foam Pros and the manager said something about that little white swoosh on them.

He really fired me and didn't like me because I was getting P left to right and he had to pay for chicks to mess with him. He was a playboy so to say because he used to bang a lot of the waitresses, but he would trick on them and promise them the world and then I started working there and a couple of the chicks was feeling me and I would let them know I wasn't looking for anything serious.

He started trying to knock me for everything, but I didn't really let it get to me I didn't really care I was still blowing backs out daily lol. I used to have girls coming to the restuarant I worked at asking to be seated by my table and all that... dudes was hating hard lol... some not all.

I also learned the most important thing ever working as a waiter... always be polite and never piss them off... the stories I could tell you
30t6p3b.gif
straight disgusting man... I never did anything or messed with anybodies food I was just a male %%@@... that was my only fault.

Back
Top Bottom