Any whisky drinkers on here?

Originally Posted by justhotkicks

If you like sweet - Makers Mark
If you like smooth - Macallan 12
If you like a little smoke - Lagavulin 16

a buddy of mine (an all-around alcohol connoisseur of sorts) chatted it up with a bartender at singlebarrel in SJ and got hooked up with a small tulip of a $1400/bottle scotch. i had a small sip and the thing was INCREDIBLY smokey.  loved it.  i'll have to try the lagavulin.

Originally Posted by ThuG LyFe

Originally Posted by SFC415

Originally Posted by LazyJ10

I'll drink a lot of variety during the winter...

Macallan 12, 18 (on Firm's dime usually) and have a bottle of Blue stocked.

Irish side, still enjoy Jameson.

Have a old %+* bottle, that was from the 60's of some Ballantine 21 yr aged...gets the job done.
Is Johnnie Walker Blue Label that much better than the "lower" versions? Might purchase a 200 ml since I can't afford $300 a bottle at the moment
laugh.gif
I heard it is good, but you can get better stuff for the money. I'd try the green label, heard good things about it, and thankfully not the same price range as the blue 
sick.gif

Try double black.

Originally Posted by ThaT Dude173

Originally Posted by ThuG LyFe

Is Johnnie Walker Blue Label that much better than the "lower" versions? Might purchase a 200 ml since I can't afford $300 a bottle at the moment
laugh.gif
I heard it is good, but you can get better stuff for the money. I'd try the green label, heard good things about it, and thankfully not the same price range as the blue 
sick.gif

Try double black.
I've had blue on a few occasions because a friend got a bottle for his birthday and to me it's the most overrated thing ever.  Gold is perfectly fine.  Best way to have it is to dump it in the freezer and then sip on it cleanly.  Anything above gold is a total waste of money IMO.  But McCallen's is the way I go personally.

I enjoy whiskey/bourbon/scotch.  But i can never pay over $30 a fifth honestly.  I have tried almost everything under $30.  I drink jack Daniels on the regular but switch it up now and again.  If i could recommend 1 bourbon it would be Bulleit.  It's usually between 20-30 dollars and its extremely well made.  It is a little different from other bourbons in that its not that sweet.  But def worth a taste

DSC_0345.jpg

I do also enjoy Makers Mark and Knob Creek but give this a try if you have never had it.

Whiskey is the only hard liquor I drink. Abused vodka too much during college, so now that @#$% just tastes like rubbing alcohol to me 
sick.gif

Jack Daniels
Johnnie Walker
Jameson
On a budget: Jim Beam

pimp.gif
All of these. That Jim Beam yellow label is smooth as ever tho and gets you right for about $16 
pimp.gif

I've been on a bourbon kick for a while now, and my go to is Elijah Craig. Comes as 12 or 18 year... for roughly ~$24 and ~$45

Stomps on Makers.

elijah-craig-kentucky-straight-bourbon-whiskey-12-year.jpg

My current loves (all neat)...
Willett Rye 8 year-old
Willett-Bottle-Front-View.jpg

Bookers
1281.jpg

Noah's Mill
Noahs%20Mill.JPG

Willett Pot Still Bourbon
WillettPotStillReserveBourbon.png

I also love Jack Daniels.

Budget friendly ($20-$80)
Cardhu 12
Woodford Reserve
Highland Park 12
Glenfiddich 12
Laphroaig Quarter Cask

More pricey ($80-$200)
Dalmore 18
Glenmorangie Single Malt
Laphroaig 18
Glenlivet 21
Oban 15

I keep a bottle of Blue at the crib. Go through them steadily.

I hear either the Green or the Gold is a very good alternative for much less.

Johnnie is a blend. Some prefer single malts. Macallan's etc.

I dig Maker's on a budget scale. Though that's technically Bourbon.

There should be a whiskey bar somewhere in your city. Hit it up from time to time and try some different things.

Originally Posted by Jking0821

I enjoy whiskey/bourbon/scotch.  But i can never pay over $30 a fifth honestly.  I have tried almost everything under $30.  I drink jack Daniels on the regular but switch it up now and again.  If i could recommend 1 bourbon it would be Bulleit.  It's usually between 20-30 dollars and its extremely well made.  It is a little different from other bourbons in that its not that sweet.  But def worth a taste

DSC_0345.jpg

I do also enjoy Makers Mark and Knob Creek but give this a try if you have never had it.

if you like bourbon and you are on a semi budget, listen to this guy.

pretty much all i drink is whisky/whiskey.  I too have been on a Bourbon kick recently.  Bulleit is a mighty fine everyday bottle that is very affordable.  My everyday bourbons I drink are Bulleit and Makers.  For weekends or days I want to step it up a bit I will sip on some Blanton's or Van Winkle 12 year.  Both will probably run you anywhere from $40-60 a bottle but its definitely worth keeping in your cabinet (Blanton's has a distinct looking bottle too).  For my top shelf Bourbon's, I go with Pappy Van Winkle Family Reserve 15, 20, or 23 year (the holy grail of Bourbon for many a Bourbon drinker).  To be honest, my shelf does not currently have any Pappy on deck since it is borderline impossible to find on a regular basis.  I am waitlisted at a couple of liquor shops and am patiently waiting my turn.

As much as I enjoy drinking Bourbon my go to drink will always be Irish Whiskey.  Jameson is the standard, but I also enjoy some Tullamore Dew if you want something that is a bit lighter.  If I could afford to do so, I would switch it up completely and go with Red Breast over Jameson for my daily, but alas, I am not a rich man.  Jameson is hands down best bang for the buck.  I always try to keep atleast 3-4 bottles in reserve at the house and at $15/bottle (when on sale... i'll buy 6-10 bottles at a time), you really cant go wrong.

When it comes to scotch, to be honest I do not yet have a nose/palate for higher level scotches.  That being said, I was raised by my father who is a lifelong scotch drinker (and alcoholic) so its a virtual requirement for me to keep some decent scotch at the ready.  I always keep atleast 1 bottle of the Johnny Walker set in my liquor cabinet (except Red which has a bit more bite than I prefer).  I like to bust open a new bottle of Blue if I have guests over.  If you get them on sale at Costco its really not that bad.  I've seen them get as low as $120+tax at Costco so I will usually stock up and buy a handfull of bottles for the reserves.  The only bottle I dont have in my cabinet is the Johnny Walker 21 year XR.  Me and my pop came across these in a duty free shop while we were traveling in Asia.  I was stupid to only buy 1 bottle which my dad jacked from me.  Oh well, next time.  I also try to keep a bottle of Macallan's 18 too as some of my buddy's are Macallan's drinkers over JW. 

- ballantine's
- jack d
- chivas 12
- jim beam

all good to me but mostly I like chivas straight with ice cubes
pimp.gif
:

i prefer scotch rather than bourbon , taste little bit different

Not a Jack fan... love me some Maker's though... not a fan of JW Red, haven't had any other JW... I need step my liquor game up, but im a cheap $@%!...

Didn't get to go to Whiskey Fest this year because I was leaving for Hawaii..but those of you in NYC, SF, Chicago, check it out....

Used to drink a ton of Crown in college

Now I've discovered scotch
eek.gif

Johnnie Walker Gold is pretty good, but Blue...
pimp.gif

When my parents moved to their new home, they didn't want to pack and move all their liquour which they weren't big drinkers of anyway.  This stuff already moved once, from Chicago to SF.

So my parents called me and said I can have whatever...going through it was pretty cool.  Wound up with an incredibly old (all were unopened or opened for probably 1 shot worth) bottle of Jack, two bottles of Crown Royal circa 1960 and 1970, this Ballantine and some Cognac.  All of it is probably around the same era.

We sampled the Crown during New Years...the earlier one was smoother with more of a sweet taste (and the bottle, which was a fifth actually said fifth) versus the older one which was smokier. 

This is what I keep in my desk at work:
88c1554b6bd6f27b7b1b504f6fa336c5f8e851c.JPG

Back
Top Bottom