Anybody follow Bill Simmons and/or Grantland? Vol. I miss the old Sports Guy page

Not sure if any of ya'll have been up on Bill Simmons...I've been following his commentary since about 2005 and, honestly, I'm kind of disappointed in his Grantland/break from ESPN venture (http://www.grantland.com). I do understand his reasoning, though, I just can't say I'm a huge fan of his contributors. There is definitely SOME entertainment value but not really all that much that gets me thinking or debating...
On ESPN, he wrote about 3 times as many articles and the quality of them were so much better... (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/subject/archive)

any thoughts?

What made you think a "Sports Guy" thread shouldn't be in the Sports forum?

Anyways, never heard of him. He should get his name out there more. I'd suggest a podcast. Might be cool.

Originally Posted by HankMoody

Anyways, never heard of him. He should get his name out there more. I'd suggest a podcast. Might be cool.

He has one of the best podcasts there is...

He's spread his wings, so to speak. The podcast makes up for fewer columns, plus he's running Grantland, which takes up a lot of time. And he hasn't declined as a writer. I think he's actually better now because he's not quite as long-winded. He's more focused.

Originally Posted by CelticsPride34

Really? Does he touch on mature subjects? So he's a popular guy?

cousin sal
pimp.gif

boston fans always miss subtlety

Originally Posted by FlashEightZero

Because subtlety doesn't make a real dirty sound, like a rusty steak knife, cutting through a well-aged steak.

Because subtlety doesn't make a real dirty sound, like a rusty steak knife, cutting through a well-aged steak.

Things that also dont sounds: reading text on the interweb (unless you're one of those annoying people that actually speak what they read); SBD farts; trees falling when no ones around; Bron in any forth quarter (including him playing Madden); Monks...

Haven't been a fan of Grantland at all.

I enjoy his and Chuck Klosterman's fusion of sports/pop-culture, conversational style of writing...but that whole website just reeks of pretentiousness.

I'm sure he's making boatloads of money, so props to him.

Im kinda mad. He seems to not care as much and is just trying to make a point. He knows he' snothing without ESPN but trashes them all the time. What part of the game is that. I still read him religiously. Dude knew his bball, eventhough his homerism was the worse

Originally Posted by jerseymizzle

Things that also dont sounds: reading text on the interweb (unless you're one of those annoying people that actually speak what they read); SBD farts; trees falling when no ones around; Bron in any forth quarter (including him playing Madden); Monks...
I can't tell if you're trolling or if all this is going over your head.

Maw man all I'm saying is hearing subtlety/sarcasm is a whole lot different than reading on the internet...

Damn, this was really bad. I'm talking Isiah-Thomas-as-a-Knicks-executive bad. You must have limited intellectual capital.

The guy doesn't just write about sports, he writes about popular culture...and mixing the two. For being nicknamed 'the Sports Guy', there really is an alarming lack of 'sports' material on Grantland. He's a pretty popular dude...he's the one that came up with the idea for ESPN's 30-for30 and was in a few of the flicks...I'm pretty sure I've seen him on VH1 before...And, FYI, I was really asking about peoples reaction to his 'new' site, not about sports.
I agree - the site is a bit pretentious. It's all about being funny for the sake of being clever. Neither of which I find in the majority of the articles. I like the idea of 'spreading ones wings', but, am not so sure about the execution on this one. 

The Klosterman articles and the Gladwell articles are definitely at the top of my 'must read' list (along with simmons himself), but it seems he's got 50+ freelance 19 year olds running the majority of the articles. Not really my idea of top notch content...

I didn't like him when I first read some of his stuff like 4 years ago because he's such a big Celtics homer and as a Lakers fan that got on my nerves, but eventually I got over that just because I love his writing and podcasts so much.

He has a real quirky approach that's a lot more relatable (at least to me) than most other sports journalists and doesn't put up a fake moral facade or take himself too seriously. I like Grantland because he's got a little bit more freedom to speak his mind without being afraid of crossing the line and getting in trouble with ESPN. A lot of the stuff he writes in his columns is the same stuff me and my friends joke about when we're watching sports.

good writer. i got his book on basketball. pretty funny. but yea i miss the sportsguy page on espn.

Yeah, i miss the old Sportsguy page, but I still read all his stuff. Only read a couple of those other Grantland writers.

His basketball book and podcasts with Jacoby were 
pimp.gif
and 
roll.gif

Grantland's Live Madness kicks off at 1130am on Thursday with me, Jalen, House and Rembert Browne ... We'll go for 45 mins and then keep popping up throughout the day. Come join us! And if you have any questions for the crew, post them below.

http://www.grantland.com/live

Back
Top Bottom