Anybody from Bay Area / San Fran?

Decent is subjective but you're going to have a verb difficult time finding a home for 400K period in the city.

I'm very interested in owning/buying a loft/apt in a dense area. I'm not even thinking EAST COAST, but West Coast is something doable. I haven't been to all the major areas yet, but feel like targeting some spots.

I have Portland and Cali on my radar.

I don't think I'm ready for an actual house yet, but I know there's been a lot of new developments (houses) all around the outskirts of the city.

I'd love to live in the Bay Area, or Northern California in general.

tumblr_lwmmacPyos1qhwe64o1_500.jpg

pimp.gif

I happened to see this on my phone and will add my two cents.

Pricing is incredibly sensetive in the City and around the city limits, especially w/ the looming tech millionaires. Rents have gone up and housing/condo prices are following suit.

San Francisco is a small city but major city standards and it only have a small concentration of high rises. It's not going to look/feel like NYC or Chicago.

However, after spending last weeked around Point Reyes (2 hrs away by car from where we live) I can't help to feel lucky as to where I live.

if you want that CITY lifestyle and experience prepare to PAY.

for an apartment or loft id say look in the mission. used to be a real rough neighborhood. still lightweight hood but the hipsters have been moving in.
and theres alot of lofts out there

Bay Area is pretty diverse but at the sametime areas are too concentrated with too many of one particular people.  Dont even think about living in Daly City aka Little Manilla, place is crawling with too many Asians/Pac Islanders in general and just stuffed to the rafters with over population.  Cost of living is high and that's not a secret.  The city is nice and has something for everyone, but it's main draw back is how dirty and filled with bums it is.  Sad part is SF has the worst laws etc when it comes to that.   Check out San Jose man, better laws regarding bums, panhandlers and the like.  

Originally Posted by Flaming Hot Cheetos

Bay Area is pretty diverse but at the sametime areas are too concentrated with too many of one particular people.  Dont even think about living in Daly City aka Little Manilla, place is crawling with too many Asians/Pac Islanders in general and just stuffed to the rafters with over population.  Cost of living is high and that's not a secret.  The city is nice and has something for everyone, but it's main draw back is how dirty and filled with bums it is.  Sad part is SF has the worst laws etc when it comes to that.   Check out San Jose man, better laws regarding bums, panhandlers and the like.  

I guess there's no better way to find out than to go see first hand.  In a few years, I'll have enough for a down payment and was looking to buy a place, but I haven't found any particular place just yet.  For me, finding work is important of course and that'll be the deciding factor.  I would like to live in a higher end loft/condo in a good neighborhood.  I understand metro areas/real estate price and what not.

I didn't necessarily want to live that close to the central zones, but along the outskirts and what not.  Being old, I can no longer handle long commutes.

I'm from the bay area, but I lived with my parent's until last year when I transferred to school in HI. It's pretty expensive to find a place like a lot of people have said. Everything is fairly close tho. I lived 20 minutes from the city, not bad at all depending on traffic. There's also BART. I grew up in a primarily white community but the bay area is really diverse for the most part and everyone is pretty nice.

I know when I'm done with school I'm definitely trying to move back there or SoCal perhaps.

I go to school here. Lots of job opportunities, particularly in the tech sector, due to the large metropolitan population. Like someone said, not a lot of Blacks in the bay area as a whole- I've rarely seen any in SF or San Jose, but people here are very open minded and liberal. Also, the weather could conceivably be the nicest in the country. If you live in the East Bay, you could expect commute to SF be 30-40 minutes on average, but even the East Bay spans a wide region so it varies.

Originally Posted by Savraj1

I go to school here. Lots of job opportunities, particularly in the tech sector, due to the large metropolitan population. Like someone said, not a lot of Blacks in the bay area as a whole- I've rarely seen any in SF or San Jose, but people here are very open minded and liberal. Also, the weather could conceivably be the nicest in the country. If you live in the East Bay, you could expect commute to SF be 30-40 minutes on average, but even the East Bay spans a wide region so it varies.

Are you in college or high school?  Can I PM you?

What do you mean by weather being nice?  I don't dig storms, or snow, nor rain like in Seattle, but can do various temp swings. LOLZ

Doesn't snow in SJ.

Storms is just heavy rain if anything, and very common. Only in the winter. Winters can be pretty cold (for a Californian). When spring/summer comes around though
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Let me think and plan a trip. I ultimately want to get a loft/condo near a centralized asian community or nearby. Being too central is actually a pain in most urban areas, and costly.

I rather be just a tad away from it. I heard Oakland has a lot of asians.

Originally Posted by RunningFishy

Let me think and plan a trip. I ultimately want to get a loft/condo near a centralized asian community or nearby. Being too central is actually a pain in most urban areas, and costly.

Not really. Not compared to SF, San Jose, Fremont, Daly City, etc. 
But if the above is what you're looking for, I'd highly recommend taking a close look at any of the neighborhoods on the east side of Oakland's central business district and/or Lake Merritt.  Lots of new lofts and condos built in the last two decades. 

You'd be less than a mile from, or right in the middle of, almost all the traditionally Asian neighborhoods including Chinatown, within a mile from Lake Merritt BART, within a mile from downtown Oakland, and a 15 minute drive from downtown San Francisco at night once all the traffic dies down. 

Originally Posted by HAM CITY

Not really. Not compared to SF, San Jose, Fremont, Daly City, etc. 
But if the above is what you're looking for, I'd highly recommend taking a close look at any of the neighborhoods on the east side of Oakland's central business district and/or Lake Merritt.  Lots of new lofts and condos built in the last two decades. 

You'd be less than a mile from, or right in the middle of, almost all the traditionally Asian neighborhoods including Chinatown, within a mile from Lake Merritt BART, within a mile from downtown Oakland, and a 15 minute drive from downtown San Francisco at night once all the traffic dies down. 

But those are areas for elderly Asians. This dude sounds like he's trying to get his Mack on.
laugh.gif
He probably wants to hit up SF.

i moved to SF 2 years ago...

lived in a high-rise, penthouse, and just moved to a new condo in the south beach neighborhood.
its expensive here.
i payed $1900 for my 1st place which was a junior one bedroom
second place was $5600 split for a penthouse, that spoke for itself.
and now paying $4200 split for a 2 br condo.

the thing about SF is the housing is very limited.
not much for ppl that DONT have money.
whats left are homes in "sketchy" neighborhoods.

its not all that diverse forreal.
there are asians all in one area.
hispanics all in one areas
and blacks stuck in the middle or way off to the side in hunters point.
go to any white neighborhood, you wont see any blacks hardly.
im black and have had neighbots give me crazy looks ever since ive moved here.

sf is cool but be ready for a really laid back lifestyle, prejudice older caucasians, and muggy weather.

i love it here, i do what i want and there is tons of mary jane to help with my chronic illnesses.

Here is an article I read yesterday on sfgate.com:

"San Francisco is the most expensive metropolitan area in the country for renters, according to a recent report from the National Low Income Housing Coalition, which compared rents to wages. The going rate for a two-bedroom apartment in the counties of San Francisco, Marin and San Mateo requires a $76,200 annual income, the report said. By contrast, the New York metropolitan area, which includes eight counties, requires a $56,950 annual salary"
Rental competition fierce in S.F.'s market

Originally Posted by 8H2i9Frs

lived in a high-rise, penthouse, and just moved to a new condo in the south beach neighborhood.
its expensive here.

sf is cool but be ready for a really laid back lifestyle, prejudice older caucasians, and muggy weather.

i love it here, i do what i want and there is tons of mary jane to help with my chronic illnesses.

LOL @ MARY JANE

I'm currently thinking about buying my first condo/loft/apt in CALI, but I am a bit unsure where to set foot.  I got back from LA, but it didn't seem to hit it me.  I'm into ASIAN communities, like Chinatown and what not, so I'm looking forward to SF Chinatown.  But more so, I'm big on the people and asian culture/ettiquette in a particular area.  I've been in areas where people are just rude, obnoxious and jerks.  Still, the biggest thing for me is whether or not there are jobs and opportunities.

Any one live in Sac-Town, Oakland and what not?  For a 2bed/2bath or 2bed 1.5bath residence, how much am I looking at?

I work in the administrative Fianance/Banking field but realize it's going to be A LOT more competitive out there.

I'm a realist and if someone tells me San Fran is full of tech geeks, then I'll believe it and it won't make sense for me to 'live' there.  I wouldn't mind working in the finance dept of some big company like Chevron or whatever.  I am also looking to get a Masters once I settle down.

its expensive here.

2100 for a spot by the ballpark
eek.gif
? If you don't mind me asking, what do you do for a living? The area you're at does get the best weather out of all of San Francisco. I live in the sunset and often times it's overcast here but sunny by Embarcadero.

its expensive here.

LOL @ MARY JANE

I'm currently thinking about buying my first condo/loft/apt in CALI, but I am a bit unsure where to set foot.  I got back from LA, but it didn't seem to hit it me.  I'm into ASIAN communities, like Chinatown and what not, so I'm looking forward to SF Chinatown.  But more so, I'm big on the people and asian culture/ettiquette in a particular area.  I've been in areas where people are just rude, obnoxious and jerks.  Still, the biggest thing for me is whether or not there are jobs and opportunities.

Any one live in Sac-Town, Oakland and what not?  For a 2bed/2bath or 2bed 1.5bath residence, how much am I looking at?

I work in the administrative Fianance/Banking field but realize it's going to be A LOT more competitive out there.

I'm a realist and if someone tells me San Fran is full of tech geeks, then I'll believe it and it won't make sense for me to 'live' there.  I wouldn't mind working in the finance dept of some big company like Chevron or whatever.  I am also looking to get a Masters once I settle down.
I'm not in the field yet but I hope to be soon. 
I'm in school right now and transferred to a Uni in San Francisco.

One of the major factors that influenced the decision was people in the industry telling me there isn't a better place to be besides maybe NY. 

its expensive here.

LOL @ MARY JANE

just an fyi, chevron corporate is located in san ramon - which is about a 40-50 min drive east of san francisco.

there are jobs everywhere in the bay area.... if you ever sign up for e-mail listserves from services like careerbuilder, zip recruiter, monster, idealist, etc. you get dozens of new positions e-mailed to you DAILY. silicon valley is always hiring.

and btw, you dont want to live in chinatown. i know you're chinese and all, but its primarily made up of senior citizen housing. unless you're into that kinda thing.

i'm sort of stuck in the same boat. i dont want to live in the east bay or south bay, but i cant even begin to think about saving enough money for a house in SF or the peninsula.

Back
Top Bottom