anybody on here recently GET OUT of the miilitary

solarius49

Banned
so i get out in November, and im starting to apply to schools and all that.  I go through TAPS next month, but i was wondering...is it true that if you go to school in a different state than your home of record, that you only receive half of your GI Bill? and does that cut everything in half including the BAH from the post 9/11 (i have the MGIB, but im trying to switch it over)

I'm interested to.. Btw OP what branch are u in and what is your rank?

I'm separating in March.....the pre-separation briefing I went to I don't remember them mentioning that but I will ask the next time I go to the Education Center on base. So ready to be a civilian again
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by solarius49

is it true that if you go to school in a different state than your home of record, that you only receive half of your GI Bill? and does that cut everything in half including the BAH from the post 9/11 (i have the MGIB, but im trying to switch it over)

- Hell NO.

....damn man, where do you people get misinformation like this? your GI Bill has NOTHING to do with your home of record.

...now there are some STATE programs you may qualify for IF you go back within a certain amount of time.

*curious* whats your job?

im a rifleman. but when i was on deployment, we had our pre separation classes and the lady giving the class told me that about the "home of record"

I thank you and all the other service men and women of this great country for your services.

What's the minimum amount of ime I can be in the military to get tbr GI bill?

I just got my BBA in Marketing with a minor in Biology... I want to go to a couple different grad schools, so I know its gonna cost out the wazoo ...

im a rifleman. but when i was on deployment, we had our pre separation classes and the lady giving the class told me that about the "home of record"

- you may have heard her wrong. your GI Bill goes with you wherever you go and has nothing to do with your home of record.

- straight from the GI Bill website:

Q: My home of record is one state and I want to attend school in another; how does that work?

A: The military home of record is not used in determining GI Bill benefits. Only the zip code of the school the veteran is attending will affect benefit amounts.

...let me say again though, check with your state because they sometimes have certain incentive programs to entice GI's to come back home. and those expire after so long if you dont move back. Illinois used to have a program where they'd pay 100% of your schooling up to 4 years after you came back home, allowing you to pocket your MGIB (or at least the portion you could pocket).

....as a rifleman what kind of work do you plan of going for in the afterlife?

....what made you choose rifleman over a more marketable position in the civilian world?

well I didnt join the marine corps to set me up for when I got out job wise. When i joined, i was 22 years old and had made some bad decisions that i figured would end up with me either dead or in jail. I joined the military as a chance to hit the reset button and gain more control over my life.

Thanks a lot for your time served my man. Much appreciated and good luck in the near future gettin back into school
pimp.gif

well I didnt join the marine corps to set me up for when I got out job wise. When i joined, i was 22 years old and had made some bad decisions that i figured would end up with me either dead or in jail. I joined the military as a chance to hit the reset button and gain more control over my life.

Props for making that kind of decision.

Honestly, if i were you, i'd be looking @ USAjobs. You know you vets get preference when it comes to jobs; play it right and you could be making really good money with no degree, and i'm sure you can go to school whenever you want on uncle sugars dime.

Richie is right and you may still have your security clearance which is BIg when it comes to gov jobs

i was going to get out last year, but the job market in NYC really sucks, so i re-enlisted, got 3 more year left in the Air Force, good luck on finding a job though OP

I actually created a thread early this morning about joining the reserve. All the mention of the benefits yall are/have getting/gotten are informative

Originally Posted by Dathbgboy

I actually created a thread early this morning about joining the reserve. All the mention of the benefits yall are/have getting/gotten are informative

i saw that thread, meant to comment. As far as the reserves go, the benefits are nowhere near the amount that an active duty service member will receive.  If you are honestly interested in serving in the military, I would take that degree, and go the officer route (DONT BE A MARINE OFFICER).  And once you are in, they will hook you up to finish grad school.

Originally Posted by kixofrinic

OP how long did you serve for? I recently joined, leave for boot in mid may!
as of now im wrapping up my 1st enlistment, i get out in november, but im working on my early out package to move that up to august.  the most important thing in the whole process, is picking an MOS that you enjoy, bc like in any aspect of life, if you dont enjoy it, you wont wanna be there for 4 years. 

Back
Top Bottom