Anybody see a therapist?

No but if you’re thinking about it: do it!

also don’t hesitate to change therapist if the vibe ain’t there.

with technology it’s never been easier, you can stayat home if you prefer.

Yes. Had a rough rough year in 2021. Obvious pandemic stress/depression plus my dad died in February, and my GF’s mom battled cancer all year and just died 2 weeks ago.

was having some bad thoughts so I reached out through my work and started seeing a professional therapist with my GF. It’s helped tremendously. There were a lot of things about myself I didn’t realize were harmful or causing setbacks.

Wish I would have done this years ago. It’s pretty unhealthy to just white knuckle mental health problems yourself. Leave that to the experts. Trust the process, if you have the means.

I have. I would tell you to shop around before committing too one that best suits you. The one I had seemed more entertained about what I had to say instead of helping.
Where does one shop around. I heard of the app talk space wonder if it’s any good

Yes
Doing so in any and all circumstances should be normalized. Even people who don't have issues along the lines of depression etc can find value in a psychologist or psychiatrist.
I work for an organization that hosts 'talking sessions' for higher education students, hosted and moderated by fellow students trained by a university psychologist to do so. Naturally the overwhelming majority of the moderators are bachelors or masters psychology students. It's kinda like group therapy I suppose but legally we can't call it that.
Some students come in to discuss struggling with depression, grief, ... while others come just for a casual chat and a bit of stress relief. The latter is pretty common actually, especially during this pandemic.

Last edited:
I'm on the wellness committee at my job, I encourage everyone to go see a therapist even if I don't. It's not for everyone. Talking to people just stresses me out more.

Where does one shop around. I heard of the app talk space wonder if it’s any good

Sad reality about therapy... these people work for money and don't really give a **** about your urgency to get help. I called about 30 therapists from that site and left voicemails. Only 3 of them called me back to say they weren't taking any more clients. One of them was helpful enough to refer me to a colleague, who became my therapist. Really pissed me off to know so mental health "professionals" out there blow people off like that, people who might be unstable mind you. I was so grateful to the therapist who took me in, and made a thank you call to the therapist who took the extra time to give me a recommendation.

Last edited:
Without a doubt I say go for it

I saw one earlier this year when I was going through some anxiety attacks. It really helped
He explained what was going on in my body when anxiety happens

ask your doctor if they can recommend one or just google some near you. Even if they don’t take your insurance you can just pay hourly out of pocket for most
Check out some apps. Talkspace, betterhelp

There’s psychologists and psychiatrists. One gives you meds and the other doesn’t

I do. I’ve been meaning to since the last two years. A few months back in June I decided to be proactive and get the ball rolling on talking to one. I wasn’t necessarily in a funk at the moment, however since I was in a good mood I decided to talk just in case I reached a low point. Otherwise, whenever I’m down my ego gets in the way, and I always think I can address my struggle on my own. Boy was I wrong.

I’ve had three sessions so far this summer, and my mental and physical health has progressed since. I’ve lost about 15lbs since because I was able to just stick to a routine that didn’t exhaust me. I also opened up to close ones about how I was seeing a therapist, and to my surprise most of them were already or thinking of talking to one.

I’ve arranged to meet with my therapist monthly, just to update them on how I’ve been even if things now are better than they have been in years. It’s good to talk to a professional who’s career is catered to these types of things. They have procedures that will alleviate things that aren’t necessarily going your way. Some of these procedures are like super obvious, but again sometimes it’s our own selves who won’t allow us do the obvious.

You’d just have to build a good relationship with your therapist; be comfortable talking about the uncomfortable. It’s okay to breakdown to a stranger; however this stranger will do more than listening, they’ve devoted their life to these kinds of things. It’s never wrong to address your mental health, it’s just the next steps in overcoming it.

Last edited:
Yes. Had a rough rough year in 2021. Obvious pandemic stress/depression plus my dad died in February, and my GF’s mom battled cancer all year and just died 2 weeks ago.

was having some bad thoughts so I reached out through my work and started seeing a professional therapist with my GF. It’s helped tremendously. There were a lot of things about myself I didn’t realize were harmful or causing setbacks.

Wish I would have done this years ago. It’s pretty unhealthy to just white knuckle mental health problems yourself. Leave that to the experts. Trust the process, if you have the means.

Very proud of you.

I do. I’ve been meaning to since the last two years. A few months back in June I decided to be proactive and get the ball rolling on talking to one. I wasn’t necessarily in a funk at the moment, however since I was in a good mood I decided to talk just in case I reached a low point. Otherwise, whenever I’m down my ego gets in the way, and I always think I can address my struggle on my own. Boy was I wrong.

I’ve had three sessions so far this summer, and my mental and physical health has progressed since. I’ve lost about 15lbs since because I was able to just stick to a routine that didn’t exhaust me. I also opened up to close ones about how I was seeing a therapist, and to my surprise most of them were already or thinking of talking to one.

I’ve arranged to meet with my therapist monthly, just to update them on how I’ve been even if things now are better than they have been in years. It’s good to talk to a professional who’s career is catered to these types of things. They have procedures that will alleviate things that aren’t necessarily going your way. Some of these procedures are like super obvious, but again sometimes it’s our own selves who won’t allow us do the obvious.

You’d just have to build a good relationship with your therapist; be comfortable talking about the uncomfortable. It’s okay to breakdown to a stranger; however this stranger will do more than listening, they’ve devoted their life to these kinds of things. It’s never wrong to address your mental health, it’s just the next steps in overcoming it.
Salute. I feel like once I step in that room imma spill out everything lol. They don’t know me from a hole in the wall imma be super open lol

I'm on the wellness committee at my job, I encourage everyone to go see a therapist even if I don't. It's not for everyone. Talking to people just stresses me out more.
That last sentence jumped out at me, I was you about two years ago. My wife got the ball rolling on marital counseling, i was super hesitant but I agreed. We mainly focused on communication for the past year or so. One of my best friends was killed during the time in counseling. I let his death go unchecked, the pandemic happened, I was stressed due to where we live and being a super minority, so much was happening that I wasn’t communicating at all. I didn’t realize I was depressed and anxious for the past two years, couple that with not getting along with my wife and everyday parent stuff it got to me too much. I ended up having a breakdown and ended up doing shameful things. Please do not let your mental health get to a bad spot. Literally saying your emotions or what’s bothering you out loud to yourself helps a ton.

I like the idea of having someone to talk to.

I think we really don’t have that nowadays with the distance, work, etc.

Does Kaiser cover it? I usually just listen to Jordan Peterson if i need a mental break or reminder.

I like the idea of having someone to talk to.

I think we really don’t have that nowadays with the distance, work, etc.

Does Kaiser cover it? I usually just listen to Jordan Peterson if i need a mental break or reminder.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Kaiser didn’t cover therapy. The customer service is great but the company coverage is pretty strict.

While i havent and should. I think its very important.

im just a coward and fear it. But, I also believe some things just need to be left in the past.

I have and it's helped me tremendously with my depression.

It's ok to go out and seek help. Don't feel embarrassed. Some of us guys were brought up to keep **** bottled in and to "man up" when in reality, it's not good for your mental health long term. I hope you find a therapist that suits you OP.

That last sentence jumped out at me, I was you about two years ago. My wife got the ball rolling on marital counseling, i was super hesitant but I agreed. We mainly focused on communication for the past year or so. One of my best friends was killed during the time in counseling. I let his death go unchecked, the pandemic happened, I was stressed due to where we live and being a super minority, so much was happening that I wasn’t communicating at all. I didn’t realize I was depressed and anxious for the past two years, couple that with not getting along with my wife and everyday parent stuff it got to me too much. I ended up having a breakdown and ended up doing shameful things. Please do not let your mental health get to a bad spot. Literally saying your emotions or what’s bothering you out loud to yourself helps a ton.

I dunno I think it's just a personality issue with me, when I'm stressed out or having a bad week people are the last thing I want to be around. Too much negative chi, even with people that mean well.

The gym and walks in solitude help a lot with stress and anxiety. You just gotta find what works for you and for many people talking to someone helps tremendously

I dunno I think it's just a personality issue with me, when I'm stressed out or having a bad week people are the last thing I want to be around. Too much negative chi, even with people that mean well.

The gym and walks in solitude help a lot with stress and anxiety. You just gotta find what works for you and for many people talking to someone helps tremendously
I’ve said those exact words, I can relate

I really hope this thread helps people who think they can keep **** bottled to seek some sort of help. I used to be one of them not talking to anyone and letting **** just bottle in. It’s not healthy and we’re all human.
It’s definitely a stage. I’ve been through that, and my pride got the best of me. Eventually it trickled down and I became cathartic, having life-ending thoughts. I knew how to do it and where, but I never brought myself there. Suddenly I would cry then laugh it off, I knew instantly that this drastic mood shift wasn’t healthy :ohwell:. This was the last anxious episode I had before things started getting better; probably two months before meeting with my therapist.

Back
Top Bottom