ANYONE ELSE GOIN/BEEN TO GRAD SCHOOL?

SO, I just got admitted into graduate school... I couldn't find a job anywhere! And I have an engineering degree SMH

Anyway, I just wanted to ask if anyone else is going to grad school or considering grad school...

I have two options.. my friend wants to move to Orlando, FL and try to make it out there just two of us

OR

I could go to grad school here in IL and put up with the stress of school and rough winter....

I just wanted to ask what is the best option here and get some opinions or advice on what to do... go to grad school or try the real world out?

I'm in grad school at NLU in Chicago. I enjoy the program. I only attend class once weekly and each class lasts eight weeks.

Congrats on being accepted. It will be an asset to your resume.

Go to school, if it is a viable option. However, if you are in dire need of money or something, then don't.
The reason why it makes sense to go to grad school is cuz like the guy said above "It will be an assett to ur resume" and when the economy picks upand you get a job, you'll most likely be rollin in dough.

Originally Posted by HybridSoldier23

What type of engineering degree do you have?

Industrial and Systems Engineering degree from Northern Illinois University...

Yah I realize that if I don't go to school now, I won't go back most likely @ least not for a while anyway... I just don't know how the economywill be in 2 years or when it will get better

The city I live in has one of the worst unemployment rates in Illinois
indifferent.gif

And I'm not really struggling for money either like another poster said... So I might have to bite the bullet on this one and go back to school I guess

I would love to have it on my resume as well, and hopefully get an internship because I never had one

I'm a civil eng..undergraduate....I'm unsure of how economy is gonna be now or later, so idk...

Like i've been debating the bullet of going to grad school, but it just seems like SOO much. Taking GREs, suitable GPA, and other stuff.....

Rite now, I'm on the job hunt and having interviews lined up once I graduate in DECEMBER.

I have one internship under my belt, plus engineering organizations, active in the comm, and involved in collegiate sports too.

IMO, my resume speaks volumes, but deep down in my heart, I wanna go to grad skool, but my GPA isn't even a 3.0......

I'm applying to law school this fall...I'm currently in a summer residential scholarship program at Harvard Law School...hopefully I get into one of myschools, if not I'm going to study up for the GMAT or GRE (I'm looking to get a joint JD / MBA or JD / MPA)

Good luck to everyone applying/completing grad school, it's definitely an investment in yourself and if it's possible, I suggest you do it (as long asyou're passionate about the field )

i'm REALLY struggling with going to grad school. I want an MBA in Marketing but with how dynamic it is, especially in the entertainment field and howsocial media is ALWAYS changing...i need coursework that relfect that. not to mention...i dont wanna get into debt just to have a title in degree that will beobsolete a SVP of mkting told me that hands on work is better so......

As of right now I'm going into my 3rd year of undergrad, so I can't say much about grad school.

But I'm definitely planning on going later on down the line.

Originally Posted by killa23

I'm a civil eng..undergraduate....I'm unsure of how economy is gonna be now or later, so idk...

Like i've been debating the bullet of going to grad school, but it just seems like SOO much. Taking GREs, suitable GPA, and other stuff.....

Rite now, I'm on the job hunt and having interviews lined up once I graduate in DECEMBER.

I have one internship under my belt, plus engineering organizations, active in the comm, and involved in collegiate sports too.

IMO, my resume speaks volumes, but deep down in my heart, I wanna go to grad skool, but my GPA isn't even a 3.0......
It's not THAT bad applying... just sent you an IM

I'm glad you're going to grad school because to be honest I don't think you had a future in music.

I'm going to be at Notre Dame this fall. Full-time MBA. I'm looking to focus in Strategic Consulting, primarily in the health care industry.

Originally Posted by SoleWoman

taking pre reqs for grad school now...

did they let you in pending you take those pre reqs....this my last year of undergrad but I gotta take pre reqs next summer for grad school

Originally Posted by blackmagnus514

i'm REALLY struggling with going to grad school. I want an MBA in Marketing but with how dynamic it is, especially in the entertainment field and how social media is ALWAYS changing...i need coursework that relfect that. not to mention...i dont wanna get into debt just to have a title in degree that will be obsolete a SVP of mkting told me that hands on work is better so......
this is true...but you get the basic concepts- and marketing is marketing...the way you apply it might change but you need the base level....

plus alot of schools have updated classes...im in a digital marketing class now where the professor is a major player in the industry - we also have guestspeakers who have been part of major campaigns so that keeps it relevant

hands on experience is def great..but why not both- MBA + experience should set you on your way

Taking the GMAT in Sept most likely... Hope to get admitted into a school with a MBA/MPP program.
Competition is getting tough for those going for their MBA straight out of undergrad tho
grin.gif

thaisativa1 wrote:
SO, I just got admitted into graduate school... I couldn't find a job anywhere! And I have an engineering degree SMH

Anyway, I just wanted to ask if anyone else is going to grad school or considering grad school...

I have two options.. my friend wants to move to Orlando, FL and try to make it out there just two of us

OR

I could go to grad school here in IL and put up with the stress of school and rough winter....

I just wanted to ask what is the best option here and get some opinions or advice on what to do... go to grad school or try the real world out?

If you're going to grad school make sure you go to a good Engineering program this time (top 10-20 in your concentration) or you're going to end upwhere you did with your undergrad education, only with more debt.
The school you go to makes the difference between companies coming to your school to GET YOU vs. you having to go through hiring agencies and on-lineapplications. There are companies that would rather hire P.E.s than guys with only a Masters. So you better make sure your Masters is from a good school.

I'm just telling you the blunt truth.

Back
Top Bottom