Anyone else have different accents around different ethnic groups?

Apparently when I kick it with my Asian/Latino friends I have a slightly different accent than when I kick it with my white friends 
laugh.gif
 And when I speak English with my Portuguese and Indian family/cousins, my American accent blends with theirs and I start sounding FOB 
indifferent.gif

laugh.gif

I guess its just a subconscious thing and a result of growing up in a  predominantly Mexican neighborhood, then moving to a Vietnamese neighborhood, and then spending the past 10 years in 80% white schools

Apparently when I kick it with my Asian/Latino friends I have a slightly different accent than when I kick it with my white friends 
laugh.gif
 And when I speak English with my Portuguese and Indian family/cousins, my American accent blends with theirs and I start sounding FOB 
indifferent.gif

laugh.gif

I guess its just a subconscious thing and a result of growing up in a  predominantly Mexican neighborhood, then moving to a Vietnamese neighborhood, and then spending the past 10 years in 80% white schools

Yeah when I'm around the higher ups at my job that are white. I get my * ahem* How may I help you voice out.
laugh.gif
, but other than that not really.

Yeah when I'm around the higher ups at my job that are white. I get my * ahem* How may I help you voice out.
laugh.gif
, but other than that not really.

I play pick up soccer at this one field in Berkeley with a lot of immigrants from all over. Africa, Eastern and Western Europe, the Americas, literally from all over the world.

Anyway, I used to find myself speaking really broken English subconsciously. It was actually embarrassing and I had to work to stop it.

Like what would make me do that?

I play pick up soccer at this one field in Berkeley with a lot of immigrants from all over. Africa, Eastern and Western Europe, the Americas, literally from all over the world.

Anyway, I used to find myself speaking really broken English subconsciously. It was actually embarrassing and I had to work to stop it.

I'm Asian, but if you just hear me talking without seeing what I look like, you'd think I'm White. This is how I sound around all ethnic groups.

I'm Asian, but if you just hear me talking without seeing what I look like, you'd think I'm White. This is how I sound around all ethnic groups.

Originally Posted by HAM CITY

i do this sometimes at work too... but it sounds dumb when i actually think about it, so I try and stop it when i catch myself 
eyes.gif

Originally Posted by HAM CITY

i do this sometimes at work too... but it sounds dumb when i actually think about it, so I try and stop it when i catch myself 
eyes.gif

I never had an accent, but I speak properly around everyone. You speak how you speak. I had a roommate once that was like a human chameleon when it came to accents. It irritated me. I don't care what your accent is as long as you speak properly. Dude tried to sound white around white people, black around black people, and was Mr. Panama around spanish ppl
indifferent.gif
 (He was panamanian). I called him out for being a fraud, he got tight. My whole thing was, be who you are dude.

It's terrible, like I'll catch myself fabricating a foreign accent. If I caught myself or someone I knew doing that I'd duff em.

It's terrible, like I'll catch myself fabricating a foreign accent. If I caught myself or someone I knew doing that I'd duff em.

I never had an accent, but I speak properly around everyone. You speak how you speak. I had a roommate once that was like a human chameleon when it came to accents. It irritated me. I don't care what your accent is as long as you speak properly. Dude tried to sound white around white people, black around black people, and was Mr. Panama around spanish ppl
indifferent.gif
 (He was panamanian). I called him out for being a fraud, he got tight. My whole thing was, be who you are dude.

Nowadays its pretty much the same with everybody. Just basic west coast white sounding if im at work. I have slang if im out or just in general. For some reason when im around black ppl I tend to say "f'real" a bit more
laugh.gif

Nowadays its pretty much the same with everybody. Just basic west coast white sounding if im at work. I have slang if im out or just in general. For some reason when im around black ppl I tend to say "f'real" a bit more
laugh.gif

my accent is just uptown
pimp.gif

hyrid from my dominicanness & comin and goin to harlem from da heightz.

my accent is just uptown
pimp.gif

hyrid from my dominicanness & comin and goin to harlem from da heightz.

Originally Posted by NORCALHUSSLA

For some reason when im around black ppl I tend to say "f'real" a bit more
laugh.gif
Don't even get me started on slang 
When I'm around my Mexican/Asian/black/ethnically inclined white friends I'm more like "whatup fool" 

Then with my white friends I'm more like "Hey man how's it going"
laugh.gif

and it's not like I feel any less comfortable with one group vs the other...I just automatically start speaking like that without thinking about it

Originally Posted by NORCALHUSSLA

For some reason when im around black ppl I tend to say "f'real" a bit more
laugh.gif
Don't even get me started on slang 
When I'm around my Mexican/Asian/black/ethnically inclined white friends I'm more like "whatup fool" 

Then with my white friends I'm more like "Hey man how's it going"
laugh.gif

and it's not like I feel any less comfortable with one group vs the other...I just automatically start speaking like that without thinking about it

Back
Top Bottom