Anyone ever been disciplined for plagiarism at a university???

It's been about two weeks since our spring quarter has ended and I just received an e-mail from my professor stating she submitted my paper into academic affairs for plagiarism. 
"Violations of the Student Conduct Code could result in a variety of disciplinary actions, including suspension or permanent dismissal from the University." 

Has anyone ever had a similar experience? I didn't copy/paste the whole paper, but I may have used a few sentences here and there. Hopefully not getting kicked out..
frown.gif

Btw I go to the University of Washington 

I would write an email saying, "Didn't you see in the references where I stated that I used others work?" or something like that ASAP.

You should have cited where the sentences came from. And it's smarter to paraphrase those sentences and then cite it. It looks like you put an effort to making it your own work and not just trying to take a shortcut.

Just saw this comment left on the paper from my professor:

Moreover, it is clear that passages from the Weisbein article were directly copied and not cited, which is plagiarism. Since there are plenty of direct quotes in the essay and a great deal of paraphrasing on Napster (drawn from the same source), it is clear that you know how to use in-text citation and paraphrase. Moreover, we went over this in class AND it is stated clearly in the course syllabus, which you were required to read during week 1. I will take appropriate action. 

Originally Posted by SkyyPilot

Moreover, it is clear that passages from the Weisbein article were directly copied and not cited, which is plagiarism. Since there are plenty of direct quotes in the essay and a great deal of paraphrasing on Napster (drawn from the same source), it is clear that you know how to use in-text citation and paraphrase. Moreover, we went over this in class AND it is stated clearly in the course syllabus, which you were required to read during week 1. I will take appropriate action. 
Well by the looks of these comments she seems like a !%$#*...Good luck

You need to say the citation page was attached with it. Only way you can get away with this I'd imagine...

Originally Posted by ai3mac1

I know someone that got caught, he just ended up getting 0 for that course.

yea. I dont know about expulsion, bout Id assume you'd fail the class. But then again, you knew better

Hell no.. I cite the $*%% out of papers..

Never copy word for word for one thing. 2. If you have 1-2 citations a page, chances are they will never even look into it unless it is a blatant stealing of a famous pieces of work.

A friend of mine used my philosophy paper and basically copied it except for a few changes. she got a zero for the course. no expulsion. she still got into law school.

this happened at a UC btw

Waitttttttttt so you used the same source, and sourced it other times, yet she still is doing this.. 

Understandingly what you did is technically plagiarism, but the prof seems like a real d-bag. It is one thing if you never sourced it anywhere else, and you just copied and pasted.. BUT when you did source elsewhere.. She should have just taken it as oversight..

Terrible professors will always be terrible..

i was cheating off my friend in class with the test, but teacher never said anything during the whole semster. thought i was going to get a B and i got a F, I ran into his office and put him in check like +%!. he said well i know you were cheating off so and so. I pleaded my cse like +%! u talking bout. Pu thim in check hard and said u should had said something during that time, anyway he changed my grade back to a B

grin.gif

laugh.gif

I was expecting one of these emails this term for my 20 pg term paper but didn't. You must not have mastered the art OP.

Originally Posted by Essential1

Waitttttttttt so you used the same source, and sourced it other times, yet she still is doing this.. 

Understandingly what you did is technically plagiarism, but the prof seems like a real d-bag. It is one thing if you never sourced it anywhere else, and you just copied and pasted.. BUT when you did source elsewhere.. She should have just taken it as oversight..

Terrible professors will always be terrible..

Stretch. Op knew what he was doing. He wasn't smart enough to pull it off.I think some of the liberal arts schools expel. You may just fail and have it on your record for academic dishonesty. Can bit you in the !%! later on for Professional School, if you go that route.

I heard one case at my school where the students just got a letter grade lower for whatever they earned for the term.

damb... Good luck. Best thing that could happen is just a 0 on the course I guess
Best of luck to you.

Back
Top Bottom