Anyone ever fear that they won't be as successful as their parents in life?

Gill Baka Esq. LLC.

formerly grimlock
Both of my parents are just hustlers to the bone.  The both came over to nyc from the guyana in the early 70's, worked factory jobs until the 90's but in that time they stacked paper, bought some real estate, bought stocks, became managers now their just sitting pretty.  My mom moreso than my father but it just amazes me how both of them were able to just come to this country broke, little education, and just parlay that into taking some risks and benefiting from it.
Now me...college educated, hopefully admitted to grad school next year, hopefully have a career started in 3-4 years from now.  It's a definitely safer route but besides slangin kicks, clothes, and other odd ball items on the side...I really don't think I could ever be able to hustle like my parents.  

I think because they came to this country with their back to the walls, it made them into hustlers/survivors.

Thoughts?

Both of my parents are just hustlers to the bone.  The both came over to nyc from the guyana in the early 70's, worked factory jobs until the 90's but in that time they stacked paper, bought some real estate, bought stocks, became managers now their just sitting pretty.  My mom moreso than my father but it just amazes me how both of them were able to just come to this country broke, little education, and just parlay that into taking some risks and benefiting from it.
Now me...college educated, hopefully admitted to grad school next year, hopefully have a career started in 3-4 years from now.  It's a definitely safer route but besides slangin kicks, clothes, and other odd ball items on the side...I really don't think I could ever be able to hustle like my parents.  

I think because they came to this country with their back to the walls, it made them into hustlers/survivors.

Thoughts?

Originally Posted by GrimlocK

Thoughts?
maybe you just feel like that cuz they pioneered...

coming to a new country and raising a college educated son seems more tough than being said kid.

but they did this so that you could have a better life to achieve more.

dont look at it as "i cant be like them" unless you want to go to another country and start over.

instead, thank them, appreciate them, and be the best person you can be.

cuz that will make their hard work pay off.

pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by GrimlocK

Thoughts?
maybe you just feel like that cuz they pioneered...

coming to a new country and raising a college educated son seems more tough than being said kid.

but they did this so that you could have a better life to achieve more.

dont look at it as "i cant be like them" unless you want to go to another country and start over.

instead, thank them, appreciate them, and be the best person you can be.

cuz that will make their hard work pay off.

pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Both of my parents are doctors.
Aunts and Uncles are into business and are very successful
My Grandfather was the chief justice of two countries
I'm the oldest grandchild in the family.

The pressure is immense

I got my degree in architecture and I just got a nice job so things are looking good but every once in a while I feel like I have already failed. Luckily there is no pressure from anyone in the family.

Both of my parents are doctors.
Aunts and Uncles are into business and are very successful
My Grandfather was the chief justice of two countries
I'm the oldest grandchild in the family.

The pressure is immense

I got my degree in architecture and I just got a nice job so things are looking good but every once in a while I feel like I have already failed. Luckily there is no pressure from anyone in the family.

Man, don't even think like that. The reality for our particular generation is that we will be less successful and  less economically stable than our parents for the first generation in a very long time. Due to unemployment, lack of health insurance, and the rising cost of education, our whole generation is in bad shape, BUT YOU ALREADY MANAGED TO GET A DEGREE AND YOU'RE ATTENDING GRAD SCHOOL!! THAT'S WAY MORE THAN A GREAT DEAL OF PEOPLE OUR AGE HAVE ACCOMPLISHED!! CONGRATS AND KEEP HUSTLIN'!

Man, don't even think like that. The reality for our particular generation is that we will be less successful and  less economically stable than our parents for the first generation in a very long time. Due to unemployment, lack of health insurance, and the rising cost of education, our whole generation is in bad shape, BUT YOU ALREADY MANAGED TO GET A DEGREE AND YOU'RE ATTENDING GRAD SCHOOL!! THAT'S WAY MORE THAN A GREAT DEAL OF PEOPLE OUR AGE HAVE ACCOMPLISHED!! CONGRATS AND KEEP HUSTLIN'!

My father came to NYC in the 80s, he used to sleep in the trains until he got a Job in the cocaine buisiness weighin kilo's in harlem.. he did good. then he caught a couple jukes in canada and florida and then retired back to DR and lived like a king..
bfe15f69a6b6fa20a2956815c5e1a03ffcddf92.gif

My father came to NYC in the 80s, he used to sleep in the trains until he got a Job in the cocaine buisiness weighin kilo's in harlem.. he did good. then he caught a couple jukes in canada and florida and then retired back to DR and lived like a king..
bfe15f69a6b6fa20a2956815c5e1a03ffcddf92.gif

I feel like this. I've never really cared about having a ton of money though

I feel like this. I've never really cared about having a ton of money though

I feel like that all the time. The only thing I can do though is keep my head down & keep grindin.

I feel like that all the time. The only thing I can do though is keep my head down & keep grindin.

Originally Posted by raptors29

No pressure at all. I will be more successful than them. They were both immigrants.
Lucky you. But at this time I'm at the same level they were in their mid 30s early 40s.

Back
Top Bottom