Anyone here have info on being a current product tester?

So I was just accepted after years of being denied (most likely because I dont do social media), to test Nike training apperal. Not my first choice (basketball shoes obviously), but I'll take some free Nike gear. Got this email

20191229_034833.jpg

What was the the process like? How long did it take for testing items to start coming in after approved, are you notified something is being shipped or does it just show up at your door, and how frequently? I'm assuming I'll get to keep what I test. I pretty hyped, and just trying to get some info from anyone who is, or has been a product tester in the past.

Last edited:
I got denied so many times in the past. Forgot they even did this anymore.

last I checked, you do NOT get to keep the shoes, usually get sent samples and what not. I’m talking shoes, I thought I saw you mention basketball.

I got denied so many times in the past. Forgot they even did this anymore.

last I checked, you do NOT get to keep the shoes, usually get sent samples and what not. I’m talking shoes, I thought I saw you mention basketball.

No I wanted & applied for basketball and running/training shoes,and also basketball and training apparel. Finally got a hit on training apparel. Been applying damn near 20 years, cant imagine they'd want back used clothing, but who knows still pretty stoked and shocked
Hopefully it openes the door for shoes next.

Last edited:
You don't get to keep the shoes or clothes if they are looking for durability of the material. I don't think its because of your lack of social media because you're not supposed to show the public the samples anyways.

I've gotten a few nike running shoes for testing. You have to send them back immediately when the trial ends. They typically make the products in a limited run (all the same size--10.0, large, etc., and you have to match their criteria), so if you wear a less common in size, say a 8.0, 14, XS, XXL, etc. you have a small chance of being selected. If you are selected to test a product, they will send you an email asking you to confirm. Then they'll ship the product to you in a week. I've gotten shoes for A/B testing (alternate between 2 pairs during the same trial) and others for 60 days for wear.

used to test products w/ them in the late 90s/ early 2000s. you need to keep track of what you do with the shoe. you have a certain time period. i started testing basketball shoes. got to test some jordan retros, but it was too time consuming. i stopped accepting their invites when they told me to go to WHQ to run tests. if you don't return the samples, they kick you out.

You don't get to keep the shoes or clothes if they are looking for durability of the material. I don't think its because of your lack of social media because you're not supposed to show the public the samples anyways.

May be right about the social media, or may be the fact that I didn't do social media helped my case. They definitely asked alot of questions about it though. Wanted to know if I had a YouTube channel if so how many subscribers, twitter handle and how many followers, etc. The game has changed alot since I first started applying, the things they used to want to keep hushed...it seems like they want out there now to create hype. So who knows, sucks you don't get some kind of compensation for testing, but I still cant wait. I mean at least they could do is hook it up with a swoosh login or some discount codes every now and then, or fresh item of what you tested once it's a finished product. Adidas used to hook it up back in the day when I was a brand ambassador for them got 3 pairs of any current shoe when I started. I did that gig on and off from like 06' to 08' during the tmac, light switch, light speed & bounce days). Still got these bad boys all beat up lying around somewhere.
adidas-tmac-light-speed-main.jpg
DSC00550.JPG
adCYosaXf5$-T1fnFk4qBE9om9YTq7mYMs5pP6AZu6Fw=kevin-garnett-shoes-adidas-ts.jpg
w9vvpratvp6wrdngc2dj.jpg
kgbounce.jpg
adidas.jpg

Along with matching apparel pair whatever shoe we were there to launch, plus they flew me and a few others all over the US, put us up in hotels paid really good (around $15 an hour which was pretty good in 2007ish) plus we normally got around $50 a day per diem. That was such a fun gig (just inconsistent), and kinda crazy I got off of craigslist :lol:. It's too bad they cut most of the program, cost them too much money I suppose... otherwise I'd still be doing it.

I've gotten a few nike running shoes for testing. You have to send them back immediately when the trial ends. They typically make the products in a limited run (all the same size--10.0, large, etc., and you have to match their criteria), so if you wear a less common in size, say a 8.0, 14, XS, XXL, etc. you have a small chance of being selected. If you are selected to test a product, they will send you an email asking you to confirm. Then they'll ship the product to you in a week. I've gotten shoes for A/B testing (alternate between 2 pairs during the same trial) and others for 60 days for wear.

Makes sense, I imagine I'm probably the most common (average) size as it gets 10-10.5 and (L) in tops and bottoms so I guess that gives me as good of an chance as I could hope for to be selected to test something.

What happens if you don’t send it back? Also why won’t they just test it with their own employees?

I'm sure you'll never get to test anything again. If something ever comes my way that is worth losing the testing gig over I've got a good idea what I'm gonna do :lol:. Seeing as how I'm just apparel I doubt that ever happens though. I'm sure they have their own employees that test also, they probably just want a consumer's opinion and free labor...

Last edited:
I think your location might also play into the consideration.

Welp if that's the case I'll never get selected to test anything Nike has never shown any interest in Houston, plus with the weather we have here even if I do it'll be limited to shorts and t shirts. My excitement is quickly dying...

May be right about the social media, or may be the fact that I didn't do social media helped my case. They definitely asked alot of questions about it though. Wanted to know if I had a YouTube channel if so how many subscribers, twitter handle and how many followers, etc. The game has changed alot since I first started applying, the things they used to want to keep hushed...it seems like they want out there now to create hype. So who knows, sucks you don't get some kind of compensation for testing, but I still cant wait. I mean at least they could do is hook it up with a swoosh login or some discount codes every now and then, or fresh item of what you tested once it's a finished product. Adidas used to hook it up back in the day when I was a brand ambassador for them got 3 pairs of any current shoe when I started. I did that gig on and off from like 06' to 08' during the tmac, light switch, light speed & bounce days). Still got these bad boys all beat up lying around somewhere.
adidas-tmac-light-speed-main.jpg
DSC00550.JPG
adCYosaXf5$-T1fnFk4qBE9om9YTq7mYMs5pP6AZu6Fw=kevin-garnett-shoes-adidas-ts.jpg
w9vvpratvp6wrdngc2dj.jpg
kgbounce.jpg
adidas.jpg

Along with matching apparel pair whatever shoe we were there to launch, plus they flew me and a few others all over the US, put us up in hotels paid really good (around $15 an hour which was pretty good in 2007ish) plus we normally got around $50 a day per diem. That was such a fun gig (just inconsistent), and kinda crazy I got off of craigslist :lol:. It's too bad they cut most of the program, cost them too much money I suppose... otherwise I'd still be doing it.

Makes sense, I imagine I'm probably the most common (average) size as it gets 10-10.5 and (L) in tops and bottoms so I guess that gives me as good of an chance as I could hope for to be selected to test something.

I'm sure you'll never get to test anything again. If something ever comes my way that is worth losing the testing gig over I've got a good idea what I'm gonna do :lol:. Seeing as how I'm just apparel I doubt that ever happens though. I'm sure they have their own employees that test also, they probably just want a consumer's opinion and free labor...

I’m sure it won’t be worth stealing Nike property. Yes, they’re employees and family members do it as well but don’t think it’s as desirable since it is time consuming as mentioned before.

I’m sure it won’t be worth stealing Nike property. Yes, they’re employees and family members do it as well but don’t think it’s as desirable since it is time consuming as mentioned before.

they need the shoes back for feedback. the shoes i tested had no names and it took like maybe at least a year before it was released.

they need the shoes back for feedback. the shoes i tested had no names and it took like maybe at least a year before it was released.

That's reasonable, honestly about what I would expect. Did they do the right thing and hook you up with anything post production/testing? Coupons or anything? That's a long time before a release, was it new tech? Did you recognize the shoe when it released? I'm assuming they were testing for durability, if they were testing that long in advance. I would have figured maybe a little less than a year. Seeing as how most shoes in sig lines, or nameplate series designs (air max, foamposite etc). were/updated yearly. Makes me wonder how far ahead they are planning a shoe. It's kind of crazy Jordan's for example are on the 34, so that kind of leads me to believe not only would they be testing the 35, but it sounds likely the 36 too. Cool info man. Thanks for sharing.

That's reasonable, honestly about what I would expect. Did they do the right thing and hook you up with anything post production/testing? Coupons or anything? That's a long time before a release, was it new tech? Did you recognize the shoe when it released? I'm assuming they were testing for durability, if they were testing that long in advance. I would have figured maybe a little less than a year. Seeing as how most shoes in sig lines, or nameplate series designs (air max, foamposite etc). were/updated yearly. Makes me wonder how far ahead they are planning a shoe. It's kind of crazy Jordan's for example are on the 34, so that kind of leads me to believe not only would they be testing the 35, but it sounds likely the 36 too. Cool info man. Thanks for sharing.

nevermind, i don't think it was a whole year. maybe 6-8 months the most.. this was before the social media culture so it was maybe 10+ years ago. i recognized most of shoes that i tested, but they were being branded as "fusion" shoes. some never made it to production. i remember testing jordan retros after just my second test. nike retros, and jordan lifestyle shoes. they would sometimes send invites to test products at their WHQ. i'm local so i was getting sent blazers tickets periodically and cards throughout the holidays, promo/ marketing stuff. the best thing was invites to the ES which i already had. i think it also depends on your "rep."

nevermind, i don't think it was a whole year. maybe 6-8 months the most.. this was before the social media culture so it was maybe 10+ years ago. i recognized most of shoes that i tested, but they were being branded as "fusion" shoes. some never made it to production. i remember testing jordan retros after just my second test. nike retros, and jordan lifestyle shoes. they would sometimes send invites to test products at their WHQ. i'm local so i was getting sent blazers tickets periodically and cards throughout the holidays, promo/ marketing stuff. the best thing was invites to the ES which i already had. i think it also depends on your "rep."

Crazy this stuff is kept so well hidden especially these days of social media and "like" culture. Alot of us in the JB forum literally have this huge thread waiting yearly to see anything, a silhouette, glimpse, pics, or info of the "new" Jordan's... Every year it seems like JB gets better, at keeping stuff under wraps. That's cool they sent something your way periodically. I figured they'd have to incentivize the testers with something to keep them in line, and get the shoes back. The "rep" was kinda the same way as a brand ambassador with Adidas. The more launches and events I took the more invites I got, also a little about performance and representation of the "brand". I remeber turning down a launch in Houston, that I said I wasn't available to do (really it was because I wouldnt have gotten to travel) and I didnt get another invite for like 6 to 8 months. :lol:

I've been testing various shoes pretty regularly since 2007 and got accepted into apparel last year. As stated, you DO NOT get to keep anything. You must return everything after the testing period ends. You also need to keep logs of your wear hours and activities.

You need to accept the test invitations to actually receive product -- nothing magically shows up.

There are some pretty cool perks to being a weartester, aside from getting previews of cool new tech and product. Sometimes you'll get test shoes that don't ever get released -- some bad, some good.

I've been testing various shoes pretty regularly since 2007 and got accepted into apparel last year. As stated, you DO NOT get to keep anything. You must return everything after the testing period ends. You also need to keep logs of your wear hours and activities.

You need to accept the test invitations to actually receive product -- nothing magically shows up.

There are some pretty cool perks to being a weartester, aside from getting previews of cool new tech and product. Sometimes you'll get test shoes that don't ever get released -- some bad, some good.

Thanks, I need to go and mark whichever email account I used now and keep an eye out then. I dont think I used my primary one, and I dont check the others as regularly as I should. I dont want to miss an invite. I doubt I'll get a second invite, if I dont take the first one. How long do they usually give you accept an invite by? (A week or so?) I've applied so many times over the years I'm not even 100% sure which account I used that got approved. The main goal would be to test shoes, and I'm pretty sure testing apparel, and doing a good job with it might open that door eventually. Otherwise I'll probably never get to as I've stated I've been applying for probably around as long as I've been on NT. I'd say at least 12 to 15 years :lol:

Thanks, I need to go and mark whichever email account I used now and keep an eye out then. I dont think I used my primary one, and I dont check the others as regularly as I should. I dont want to miss an invite. I doubt I'll get a second invite, if I dont take the first one. How long do they usually give you accept an invite by? (A week or so?) I've applied so many times over the years I'm not even 100% sure which account I used that got approved. The main goal would be to test shoes, and I'm pretty sure testing apparel, and doing a good job with it might open that door eventually. Otherwise I'll probably never get to as I've stated I've been applying for probably around as long as I've been on NT. I'd say at least 12 to 15 years :lol:
I don' think there's a "time" for when to expect an invite. When is test is upcoming, they put out the invites and see who accepts.

I also don't think being a 5-Star apparel tester leads to testing shoes or vice-versa. Different categories are run by different test employees. Also, for shoes you MUST be a size 9 or sometimes 10. Size 13 is also available for basketball, but I think that's mostly dedicated for selected people/athletes.

I don' think there's a "time" for when to expect an invite. When is test is upcoming, they put out the invites and see who accepts.

I also don't think being a 5-Star apparel tester leads to testing shoes or vice-versa. Different categories are run by different test employees. Also, for shoes you MUST be a size 9 or sometimes 10. Size 13 is also available for basketball, but I think that's mostly dedicated for selected people/athletes.

I totally get that it could be days, months, even years from now, before I'm sent an invite. What I meant was, say for example an invite is sent to you tomorrow. How long do you typically have to accept the invite? Also do you know, is it a possibility a test fills up before you accept? Or are the tests more individually tailored, and you're test invite you either accept or decline? I'm sure they dont need an immediate answer, but I don't figure they leave that window open for a long time either. I'm sure Nike has a timeframe, they want their products finished by. Just curious how proactive I need to be. I know as a BA with Adidas once a launch filled up that was it. It was all FCFS and seniority and performance played a major factor in who got the invites first, then just went down a list. All of this was also done by phone and I had an immediate supervisor that would make the call I knew if I didn't get back with him before the end of the day it was very unlikely a spot would still be open.

Thanks for that info on the sizing thing. I'll change my profile to size 10 next time I apply maybe I'll have a chance. I've. just typically leaned closer to buying 10.5 than 10, but really can do either or comfortably. I've always known only size 9 and more rarely size 13 got samples for retail stores (at least used to) hadn't seen any in a while. My local mom and pop store used to randomly sell some to regulars here and there. They'd have sample tags and no boxes. I Did not assume that applied to product testing, all this time I've been applying using 10.5 Nike's a troll even accepting apps for all sizes LOL. Should have just made it easy on everyone, and not accepted apps unless you're size (x). All these years and wasted time on both sides, and that's just me I can imagine all the apps they've gotten over the years. :smh:

Thanks again for all the answers lxj lxj T thehoneydripper C crazyrichazn turbo95eg6 turbo95eg6 nikeholic23 nikeholic23
I'm sorry if I've been redundant or annoying, just feel like I'll enjoy this, been waiting over a decade to do it, and want to do it right once my time comes. I also plan on converting this thread eventually, for others if anyone is looking for resources about testing.

To answer the first
I totally get that it could be days, months, even years from now, before I'm sent an invite. What I meant was, say for example an invite is sent to you tomorrow. How long do you typically have to accept the invite? Also do you know, is it a possibility a test fills up before you accept? Or are the tests more individually tailored, and you're test invite you either accept or decline? I'm sure they dont need an immediate answer, but I don't figure they leave that window open for a long time either. I'm sure Nike has a timeframe, they want their products finished by. Just curious how proactive I need to be. I know as a BA with Adidas once a launch filled up that was it. It was all FCFS and seniority and performance played a major factor in who got the invites first, then just went down a list. All of this was also done by phone and I had an immediate supervisor that would make the call I knew if I didn't get back with him before the end of the day it was very unlikely a spot would still be open.

Thanks for that info on the sizing thing. I'll change my profile to size 10 next time I apply maybe I'll have a chance. I've. just typically leaned closer to buying 10.5 than 10, but really can do either or comfortably. I've always known only size 9 and more rarely size 13 got samples for retail stores (at least used to) hadn't seen any in a while. My local mom and pop store used to randomly sell some to regulars here and there. They'd have sample tags and no boxes. I Did not assume that applied to product testing, all this time I've been applying using 10.5 Nike's a troll even accepting apps for all sizes LOL. Should have just made it easy on everyone, and not accepted apps unless you're size (x). All these years and wasted time on both sides, and that's just me I can imagine all the apps they've gotten over the years. :smh:

Thanks again for all the answers lxj lxj T thehoneydripper C crazyrichazn turbo95eg6 turbo95eg6 nikeholic23 nikeholic23
I'm sorry if I've been redundant or annoying, just feel like I'll enjoy this, been waiting over a decade to do it, and want to do it right once my time comes. I also plan on converting this thread eventually, for others if anyone is looking for resources about testing.

To answer the first part of your response, the answer is yes; that it is FCFS. I almost always accept the invites immediately, but there was one occasion where I missed it in email and the test filled up before I accepted -- and only a few hours had lapsed between my response an when it was sent.

I don't think they "tailor" tests to certain testers, but you'll get sent the invite if you're a part of that particular testing group. If you're a part of the casual weartest group, you won't get sent a running shoe, for example. Performance based shoes all require X Amount of wear/mileage/playing hours etc, FYI. Even casual test require you to log and record a minimum of hours of wear.

I do agree that it's kinda stupid to accept testers of all sizes, knowing that it's been Sample Size 9 all along (until more recently certain Samples came out in Size 10.)

To answer the first

To answer the first part of your response, the answer is yes; that it is FCFS. I almost always accept the invites immediately, but there was one occasion where I missed it in email and the test filled up before I accepted -- and only a few hours had lapsed between my response an when it was sent.

I don't think they "tailor" tests to certain testers, but you'll get sent the invite if you're a part of that particular testing group. If you're a part of the casual weartest group, you won't get sent a running shoe, for example. Performance based shoes all require X Amount of wear/mileage/playing hours etc, FYI. Even casual test require you to log and record a minimum of hours of wear.

I do agree that it's kinda stupid to accept testers of all sizes, knowing that it's been Sample Size 9 all along (until more recently certain Samples came out in Size 10.)

Cool I feel like you've answered every question I can think of, Thanks again, for the help and patience with my questions. It's pretty cool going on 20 years on NT now, and it's still the best resource for stuff like this. I couldn't find answers to. Also cool to see some OG's like you and C crazyrichazn come out of the woodwork. Now I just sit back and wait on Nike to invite me, and pay attention to my email which I changed to my primary. On their profile page I also added a telephone number to contact me. Will they call or just email or both? Nike is gonna hate getting back appearal from me, I'm a garbage man overnight and it requires me to walk 5 to 7 miles a night, so I'll be using what they send partly for that, but its gonna stink like hell the rest I'll use for actual training. Do they offer an app to keep up with the hours/distance you test and work you put in. I use NRC and NTC just wondering if they sink up, or if product testing has it's own app to help keep track of my workouts.l?.? I think I saw an iOS app but android any knowledge on this ?.?

Its all on a portal website mostly.
Cool I feel like you've answered every question I can think of, Thanks again, for the help and patience with my questions. It's pretty cool going on 20 years on NT now, and it's still the best resource for stuff like this. I couldn't find answers to. Also cool to see some OG's like you and C crazyrichazn come out of the woodwork. Now I just sit back and wait on Nike to invite me, and pay attention to my email which I changed to my primary. On their profile page I also added a telephone number to contact me. Will they call or just email or both? Nike is gonna hate getting back appearal from me, I'm a garbage man overnight and it requires me to walk 5 to 7 miles a night, so I'll be using what they send partly for that, but its gonna stink like hell the rest I'll use for actual training. Do they offer an app to keep up with the hours/distance you test and work you put in. I use NRC and NTC just wondering if they sink up, or if product testing has it's own app to help keep track of my workouts.l?.? I think I saw an iOS app but android any knowledge on this ?.?
Its all on a portal website where you can keep track and write your comments. The instructions are pretty explicit so if you want to wear the clothes for your extracurricular activities you will risk giving them wear/damage that they did not foresee.

Its all on a portal website mostly.

Its all on a portal website where you can keep track and write your comments. The instructions are pretty explicit so if you want to wear the clothes for your extracurricular activities you will risk giving them wear/damage that they did not foresee.

Thanks! Yes I did find the portal, and updated some profile info and changed my contact info. I think I'll use the portal as opposed to watching my email hourly. Also I saw an iOS app, but no android. I'm probably to download that app at some point in the future, but so far haven't because I couldn't find it. No I wear personal middle grade nike sweats, compression pants, and nike dri fit t-shirts and beater Jordan's as it is. No real extra wear and tear just A LOT walking and jogging (I'll have beer leak out on me from time to time, but nothing a good wash won't taken care of). I pick up trash at luxury apartments, it's not the dirty guy you see on the back of trucks. I push a cart and pickup only tied 15 gallon bags, and broken down boxes. I break more of a sweat working out than l do, training or hooping than at this job. I was being a bit sarcastic about the smell. I will wear the heck out of whatever is sent to me, but I imagine others will be harder on products than I could ever be ( mine or not I just take care of my ish.) I stopped running as much because of this gig. I walk anywhere from 32 to 42 miles a week. This is just this weeks summary on my step tracker I still have 2 or 3 more shifts to work this week too.
20200103_015001.jpg

For apparel tests, you're supposed to wash between wears, or as needed (if it's like a hoodie or jacket, etc). You're also expected to return them clean, so regardless of how hard you are on the gear, (within reason) your daily wear at work shouldn't be an issue and they'll actually probably appreciate that you're sweating in and being a little more rough on the apparel.

For apparel tests, you're supposed to wash between wears, or as needed (if it's like a hoodie or jacket, etc). You're also expected to return them clean, so regardless of how hard you are on the gear, (within reason) your daily wear at work shouldn't be an issue and they'll actually probably appreciate that you're sweating in and being a little more rough on the apparel.

Figured, I wouldn't wear the clothes again without wahsing them before. Definitely wouldn't send them.backnwithout washing them.

Back
Top Bottom