Anyone here on NT convert before/Know anyone that did?

I am in the proccess of converting to Islam, and I am just wondering if any NTer's have converted before at all. How did your fam take it? Friends? I willmost likely take the Shahada within the following month, and I am debating whether or not to legally change my name as well. Any input would be appreciatedthanks.

anyone?
smile.gif

I have been studying Islam persay for a little over a year. Took a class on it last year. My roomate is also a black muslim. I have been thinking of convertingfor a month.

I think that you need to worry more about understanding what you are getting your self into rather than how family and friends will be taking you converting.

Originally Posted by heartofthacity

I think that you need to worry more about understanding what you are getting your self into rather than how family and friends will be taking you converting.

Que? Are you speaking of prejudice? Because I have no idea what you are talking about. I have already thought about MYSELF. That was my first priority, and whyI am converting in the first place.

What kind of Islam are you looking to get in to? Sunni, Shiite, etc.?

I'm sure you know that "Black Muslims" share very few common beliefs with the more predominant Islamic sects.

Anyways, studying it for a year is plenty of time. I was just asking to make sure its not an impulsive decision.

About your family...I'm assuming that they are Christian but my suggestion would work if they were Jewish as well. Just tell your family that Islam is verysimilar to Christianity. Focus on the similarities rather than the differences. Any objective observer would realize that Islam/Christianity/Judaism are almostthe same except for maybe a handful of differences. Tell them what you like about the religion and why you think it is a good fit for you. Dont go aroundacting like you made the greatest decision ever and other people should follow in your foot steps and that other religions are flawed. Just emphasize how muchIslam is in tune with some of the values you hold dearly.

Thank you Tevez for the input, I appreciate it. I identify with Sunni. I just was wondering how culturally significant changing ones name is when one converts.Is it standard? I would be willing to change my first or middle name, but I am not sure how that comes off. I am not doing this for attention, and it seemslike changing ones name screams that. But at the same time, I feel like this is a big change for ME, and taking an islamic name would signify that change. Myfam is Jewish btw.

Originally Posted by PaidNHalf

I have been studying Islam persay for a little over a year. Took a class on it last year. My roomate is also a black muslim. I have been thinking of converting for a month.
You mentioned that your room mate was a black muslim. Unless you are talking about the Nation of Islam I do not see how him being black isrelevant.

And as far as my suggestion to further research the religion..When you convert to another religion, Islam in particular, you are accepting a plethora ofbeliefs, rituals, and ways of thinking. From the way you view history to the way you view other religions to the manner in which you will raise your children,everything is completely different. I am definitely not trying to keep you from converting- I just want to stress that although some say that the three majormonotheistic religions are greatly similar, the difference in the beliefs are as different as night and day... I was really surprised when I read deep intoIslam, but If you find that it makes sense then I'm happy for you-

As far as changing your name, you don't have to, but if you feel that it would help "seal the deal" changing your first name would be sufficient.I personally don't think thats necessary..your parents gave you a name, that you have lived with all of your life, why change it if the religion does notmake it obligatory.

Originally Posted by heartofthacity

Originally Posted by PaidNHalf

I have been studying Islam persay for a little over a year. Took a class on it last year. My roomate is also a black muslim. I have been thinking of converting for a month.
You mentioned that your room mate was a black muslim. Unless you are talking about the Nation of Islam I do not see how him being black is relevant.

And as far as my suggestion to further research the religion..When you convert to another religion, Islam in particular, you are accepting a plethora of beliefs, rituals, and ways of thinking. From the way you view history to the way you view other religions to the manner in which you will raise your children, everything is completely different. I am definitely not trying to keep you from converting- I just want to stress that although some say that the three major monotheistic religions are greatly similar, the difference in the beliefs are as different as night and day... I was really surprised when I read deep into Islam, but If you find that it makes sense then I'm happy for you-

As far as changing your name, you don't have to, but if you feel that it would help "seal the deal" changing your first name would be sufficient. I personally don't think thats necessary..your parents gave you a name, that you have lived with all of your life, why change it if the religion does not make it obligatory.
Dude, "Black Muslim" is a common way of referring to followers of the Nation of Islam and some of the sects associated with it. Althoughthey call themselves Muslims the religion shares very little in common with traditional Islam.

People calling them "Black Muslims" has nothing to do with their skin color (even though they are all black).

As for the name change, it's not necessary but it is up to you.

Back
Top Bottom