Anyone in Pharm school...vol what do you look at when deciding/life outside of school

Okay im deciding between two schools and I wanted to see what nt thought about the situation. I got accepted into a school in atlanta ga and a school in denver colorado. i visited Denver, met an NT'r how showed me around WELL....and to be honest i liked it there alot BUT ITS 35k  more after 4yrs than staying here in my hometown GA. My question to yal is that 35k disparity worth the new experience. either route i go imma owe a good bit back to uncle sam so NO theres no instate tuition applying here. both are private schools. So what do THOSE WHO ARE IN A PROFESSIONAL SCHOOL, pharm,med,do,pt,law etc consider before choosing a school???? thanks
More info about the two

class size Co:75 students vs Ga: 110

Co: Team Beased learning(i work with a group the whole program NO LECTURES) vs Ga: (lecture based)

Co: professional dress code vs Ga: no dress code

Co: US wide APPE rotationals vs GA: APPE rotations in Rome georgia
sick.gif
roll.gif
mad.gif

Co: new good social life vs Ga: im raised here so i know whats good.

Co: Winter sports(ive never snowboarded by i tryin to) vs Ga: indoor basketball only

Co: 35k more after the program than Ga program

Co: no pollen..... vs Ga: too much pollen

Co: nice weather vs Ga: Humidity

Co: kappa psi pharmaceutical fraternity  vs Ga: no pharmacy related frat

Co: MIGHT have to get rid of my modded nissan 350z for an sti
mad.gif
 vs Ga: i keep the modded 350z

Lastly, FOR THOSE IN A GRADUATE LEVEL PROGRAM do you have time to enjoy the social life around you other than study 12-15hrs a day?? and is it really that hard to reach a goal of maintaining a 3.5 GPA so i can get scholarships to help cut down the disparity in cost. thanks 

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/font]

IMO sounds like GA is better. since we're on the pharm topic tho was it hard gettin through undergrad and did you do it in 3 or 4 years?

i was a chemistry major and i did it in 5yrs because i told additional biology classes to make me more com petitive...ie genetic, a&p, mircobio, etc

i'm about to finish my 1st year of pharmacy school and still have a great social life. i was able to get a 3.4 in the fall semester and i'm averaging an A- or A in all of my classes this spring semester without studying nowhere close to 12-15 hours a day. the key is time management. because you're in a graduate/professional school the material is coming at you at a much faster pace so you definitely don't want to fall behind. manage your time and you can still enjoy life outside of school.

when applying to schools, did you pre-rank the list of schools you applied to? georgia to denver is pretty far, just wondering how you came upon choosing to apply to a school that far. do you know anybody who goes to that pharmacy school or have any family out there?

from your pros/cons you look like you're leaning towards going to school in colorado. couple questions you need to ask yourself are:
do you think you will get home sick?

can you transition from lecture based teaching to team based learning? what are you gonna do if you don't like somebody in your group and can't switch teams.

do you really want to dress up for class every day? (i only have to dress up for labs and i still hate it sometimes).

i figured out the school in CO you're going to and they aren't accredited yet but were awarded candidate status. does that concern you? although they will most likely be accredited when you graduate it's ridiculous they're charging 35k+ for tuition a year right now and it's only going to go up. i think i figured out the school in georgia and although georgia is becoming a little more saturated with 4 pharmacy schools open now in that state they are accredited so you don't have to worry if you decide to go to CO and something happens and the school won't get accredited and you can't take your boards later.

where do you see yourself working after you graduate? if you want to move back home to georgia finding a job might be difficult since companies might prefer hiring graduates from in-state schools because they're familiar with the type of person and education they received from those schools.

IMO i think georgia is the better choice (because it's accredited) but don't let the 35k difference stop you from experiencing something new because you'll be making enough money to pay it back later. i know schools require you to pay deposits within 2 weeks to save your seat. i'd pay them both right now so you could take your time with this decision. good luck with whatever school you decide on because this is going to impact the rest of your life. if you have any questions you can PM me.

i'm about to start applying for pharm schools do you guys think it will be possible to get in with only doing the requirement courses and not having a BS? i work in a pharmacy and have 3.5 in the requirement courses so far

while i don't know the levels of the 2 schools you're referring to, I do know that the prestige of the school does make it easier getting a job right out of school.

Originally Posted by xkellenx

i'm about to finish my 1st year of pharmacy school and still have a great social life. i was able to get a 3.4 in the fall semester and i'm averaging an A- or A in all of my classes this spring semester without studying nowhere close to 12-15 hours a day. the key is time management. because you're in a graduate/professional school the material is coming at you at a much faster pace so you definitely don't want to fall behind. manage your time and you can still enjoy life outside of school.

when applying to schools, did you pre-rank the list of schools you applied to? georgia to denver is pretty far, just wondering how you came upon choosing to apply to a school that far. do you know anybody who goes to that pharmacy school or have any family out there?

from your pros/cons you look like you're leaning towards going to school in colorado. couple questions you need to ask yourself are:
do you think you will get home sick?

can you transition from lecture based teaching to team based learning? what are you gonna do if you don't like somebody in your group and can't switch teams.

do you really want to dress up for class every day? (i only have to dress up for labs and i still hate it sometimes).

i figured out the school in CO you're going to and they aren't accredited yet but were awarded candidate status. does that concern you? although they will most likely be accredited when you graduate it's ridiculous they're charging 35k+ for tuition a year right now and it's only going to go up. i think i figured out the school in georgia and although georgia is becoming a little more saturated with 4 pharmacy schools open now in that state they are accredited so you don't have to worry if you decide to go to CO and something happens and the school won't get accredited and you can't take your boards later.

where do you see yourself working after you graduate? if you want to move back home to georgia finding a job might be difficult since companies might prefer hiring graduates from in-state schools because they're familiar with the type of person and education they received from those schools.

IMO i think georgia is the better choice (because it's accredited) but don't let the 35k difference stop you from experiencing something new because you'll be making enough money to pay it back later. i know schools require you to pay deposits within 2 weeks to save your seat. i'd pay them both right now so you could take your time with this decision. good luck with whatever school you decide on because this is going to impact the rest of your life. if you have any questions you can PM me.

Ha no I won't get home sick I'm actually sick of home. Secondly I'm doing private practice afterwards... Either at home, Cali, or the highest paying state when I graduate. Secondly the candidate status doesn't scare me they will be accredited when I enroll and I'm still given the same privileges as an accredited school in terms of state boards and Naplex exam. I really just want my last tour de France of school to be enjoyable cuz I feel like if I stay in ga the experience will be just the same as my undergrad just studying pharmacy vs chemistry. Secondly I know school is more than just a degree so I mos def want a story to tell. IMO experience is priceless and allow i get to expand my network while getting my degree. 2 birds 1 stone. Lol Dressing up doesnt too much bother me cuz I'm lowkey in that part of life where shoes don't matter to me. Yes I'll still rock a pair of yeezys but ow I can actually put my common projects/lanvins to use and dress more so to my age. If you think about it I'll be 28 when I graduate so I should Very accustom to professional attire by then. But yes it can be incOvienent at times that I understand. Also with he team learning it's more hands on and I think I learn better that way cuz I was an architect/engineer major before I switched to pharmacy. Yes a bad group can ruin it but I have he choice to make my team or Individual work majority of my grade. Also since you said 35k shouldn't be my deciding factor do you think within my four years if I go to Colorado can depend on scholarships to pay for that 35k difference realisticAlly assuming I do similar grade like you mr 3.4. Also is hard or just alot of material to study for???

Back
Top Bottom