Anyone majoring in business? advice? good programs?

i'm interested in majoring in business, admittedly because of the money but mainly because it seems really interesting; I have no experience whatsoever, and will be taking my first econ/business class next year as a senior in high school.
is anyone enrolled in business programs? which schools? advice in general?

my high school stats are pretty good if it matters, but not harvard or mit level

thanks 
happy.gif

Graduating from the University of Washington's Foster School of Business in less than a month, Bachelor's in Accounting. No big regrets, but I am planning to take a path less traveled with my degree.

Business is what you make of it. I was always dabbling in money making ventures when I was growing up. For example,I was the first dude on the block with a CD burner when that tech first came out, so I ran the CD burning industry at my high school for my whole freshman year before burners became cheap and everyone hopped on. I kept my own books, managed my clientele, had distributors at other HS who would buy off me wholesale, etc. I was also selling beats at the same time, so I got a taste of what it took to make sales online very early. Once I got into business school, stuff like that helped a lot even though it was small time because I had experiences I could relate these terms to and was already familiar with the mindset.

The most valuable thing that I got out of business school/college was all the people I met. I know that's pretty cliche, but it is VERY much true. You're surrounded by talent, already divided into categories for you (marketing, management, IS, whatever), and the typical college student possesses some level of grind so you can rely upon their ability to an extent (still a lot of idiots/lazy people though, but the ratio is a lot better). It is one of the best places for you to take whatever crazy idea you have to make a living and make it happen in a realistic, profitable fashion.

Just make sure that you actually have a passion for whatever major you choose. Sometimes I wish I chose a different major just because I really have no care for the real technical aspects of accounting at the higher level, but I'm also glad I chose accounting because it makes you well-rounded.

In general, study hard but be sure to always be on your grind outside of the classroom as well. Surround yourself with people who will keep you motivated, stay true to yourself, and don't waste time. College will fly by before you know it, cause it sure did for me.

If your stats aren't Harvard level, you won't get into Wharton, sorry.

I'm going to USC next year, and I'm currently trying to get into the Marshall school (which they promised would be no problem but have since been unhelpful).

--I been taking classes for Human Resources Management. I'm thinking Business would be the same aspect.
--The math/stats classes are
sick.gif
...everything else is pretty chill though. Good luck dude.

Originally Posted by The Yes Guy

I'm going to USC next year, and I'm currently trying to get into the Marshall school (which they promised would be no problem but have since been unhelpful).
hmm.. well the only area I'm lacking in is my gpa. it will be around a 3.6 by the end of junior year, but only because I decided to push myself and take the hardest courses my already competitive school offered ( 9 ap's i think total, im taking bc calc, etc.). my testing is above u-penn standards (790s, 800s, and 2300 something sats)...idk if this will play in my favor, but w/e.
im hoping to get into cal, does anyone have any experience with haas business?

Eller College of Management at the University of Arizona is one of the best in the country.  I believe it is the top school for entrepreneurship too

I'm looking to get into a business school this summer. I have an entry exam and I've been studying my !!+ of. GPA doesn't matter round here (luckily).

So far I feel like accountancy is my thing.

You are smart as hell! You're way smarter than your average NTer (90% nobodies)

Please look into something!! I hate that you're doing business for "The Money". That's like selling God's gift (your brain) to Business School (Devil.)

Business school has nothing to do with academics. all about networking and name.

I'm sure you can excel at anything you want.

only advice I would give, especially since you're 'in it for the money,' is to look at what careers or industries interest you and work toward that. Also, use your summers or off-time to get internships and other experience.

theres two kinds of business people
the inventors and the suck ups
the suck ups go to school, make fake friends back stabs them and work their way up
the inventors creates ideas and the suck ups invest in them.

the more business/economic/finance classes u take the more depressing it is
everything is about profits profits profits interest and more interest and being a yuppie
if you want to bring new ideas to the market, business courses are not for you

I went to business school (the U) and am working in an awesome job right now relative to my major International Finance & Marketing

What I will reiterate in this thread is that the skills you get there are much more about time management, networking, etc...there is no "secret" to business

If all you care about is $$$$ I'd tell you to go study engineering. You will always have a job, and if ten years from now you think "gee, I need more business expertise," you can go get an MBA and be set.

More successful businesses are started by engineers than business majors, actually.

Originally Posted by Bruce Waynee

Eller College of Management at the University of Arizona is one of the best in the country.  I believe it is the top school for entrepreneurship too
No it's not, is that even top 50?
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

top school for entrepreneurship is Babson College

1. Major in a skill once you get to college. Things like nutrition/dietetics, engineering of any king, psychology...
  2. Get a great GPA and keep up on your math skills.
  3. Kill the GMAT
  4. Get into a Business School and get an M.B.A.
  5. You'll be more marketable than a business major with an M.B.A.

thanks for all the replies
to those saying I should do something else, the only other fields that interest me are art, music, philosophy, and it's hard to get a job doing any of those things. I don't want to do business just for the money, but I figure if I have a good job with financial stability I can pursue the arts and music and whatnot in addition to my job. I'm also not nearly as competitive as a musician or artist to be successful.

Originally Posted by il prescelto

to those saying I should do something else, the only other fields that interest me are art, music, philosophy, and it's hard to get a job doing any of those things. I don't want to do business just for the money, but I figure if I have a good job with financial stability I can pursue the arts and music and whatnot in addition to my job. I'm also not nearly as competitive as a musician or artist to be successful.
It's also easy to major in philosophy and get a crazy good GPA. Take some business classes on the side and then stay ready for the GMAT. I'm just saying that long run you will benefit. You will get into a better school if you decide to go right away after undergrad.

If you are going to stay in business mode major in things that are actual skills like finance, accounting, econometrics e.t.c. I love people who major in "management". Fake major, I've seen people benefit more from majoring in communications or English. Effectively communicating in writing is very essential in the business world.

I'm just speaking from experience.

I'm at McCombs at the University of Texas...all the tools are at your fingertips...the online recruiting system is insane.

A word of advice though: Try to have a plan of what you want to do when you go to business school...classes won't tell you what you should be or what you should study (they are very straight-forward and common sense for the most part)

majored in economics & communication in college, did 3 internships (finance, hr, tech support) and now working in sales operations for a medium sized (2000 employee company)

looking back on it all, i wish i focused my energy on something more concrete like engineering.

i absolutely hate cubicle life and office politics.

Originally Posted by Prostaffer

It's also easy to major in philosophy and get a crazy good GPA. Take some business classes on the side and then stay ready for the GMAT. I'm just saying that long run you will benefit. You will get into a better school if you decide to go right away after undergrad.

If you are going to stay in business mode major in things that are actual skills like finance, accounting, econometrics e.t.c. I love people who major in "management". Fake major, I've seen people benefit more from majoring in communications or English. Effectively communicating in writing is very essential in the business world.

I'm just speaking from experience.

your joking right, philosophy is probably the most challenging major you can pursuit as an undergrad. 

Originally Posted by The Yes Guy

hmm.. well the only area I'm lacking in is my gpa. it will be around a 3.6 by the end of junior year, but only because I decided to push myself and take the hardest courses my already competitive school offered ( 9 ap's i think total, im taking bc calc, etc.). my testing is above u-penn standards (790s, 800s, and 2300 something sats)...idk if this will play in my favor, but w/e.
im hoping to get into cal, does anyone have any experience with haas business?

Haas is obviously a great business school, but you don't apply until your junior year. This means you could get stuck at Berkeley (not that there is anything wrong with that) and then not get into Haas and have to transfer or pursue another major.

I didn't get into Berkeley, I had a 4.25 and a 2200, with 9 APs and 770 plus on 2 SAT 2's. I got into UCLA, but decided to go to USC because of the undergraduate business school and the half scholarship they were offering.

Back
Top Bottom