Anyone Tried Living Someplace New While Working Virtually?

Might be a little late to this trend, but has anyone tried living someplace new for a month/few months while not tied to a location for work? I know a few who've tried it during the early stages of the pandemic and many ended up staying out there long-term. One even met a girl (who was doing the same thing) within their first month and now they're engaged. :wow:

Could use a change of scenery so I'm thinking of doing this and treating it like a trial run for a potential new place to live. Worst case, it's a long vacation (granted I'll be doing virtual work). Not entirely sure how long duration-wise I'd do it for, but aiming for at least a month to get close to the full experience. Is that enough time to form an accurate impression? Would it be better to try more places for shorter amounts of time or one place for a longer amount of time?

What was your experience like?

Yea
Took a month traveling in Colombia, Mexico, and Costa Rica.
Time difference wasn’t that big so I was able to work comfortably from 12-8pm.
Would wake up early to have breakfast with the locals and walk around. Then nighttime I’d go out for dinner and maybe for a beer or so.
I think a month would be fine for you depending how many cities you want to explore.

Y’all think it’s safe to remote into your company computer while being in a dif country? Or some sneaky way to do it? Connecting to the company’s vpn will give away your location

Y’all think it’s safe to remote into your company computer while being in a dif country? Or some sneaky way to do it? Connecting to the company’s vpn will give away your location
There'd be slight variations from company to company, but for mine it's doable If I wanted to go to Europe or Mexico.
I haven't traveled just because I have a family, but if I didn't then I'd absolutely take the opportunity to get a change of scenery every once in a while.

There'd be slight variations from company to company, but for mine it's doable If I wanted to go to Europe or Mexico.
I haven't traveled just because I have a family, but if I didn't then I'd absolutely take the opportunity to get a change of scenery every once in a while.
Word. How would you remote in? Remote Desktop? I think chrome allows people to remote in now.

Why not just take your laptop with you? Most companies provide them now.
Problem is, if you connect to the vpn, your company will have your location. Might get your account flagged and locked from accessing the vpn until you explain why your location is showing up in Europe when your home address and work location is in the USA. Keeping a laptop in the US while remotely connecting to it from overseas might be able to fix that issue, if there’s a way for IT to not find out about you remoting in

Word. How would you remote in? Remote Desktop? I think chrome allows people to remote in now.
I'd take the company laptop with me, just gotta be added to an exception group for the location I'm going to in our system so that my account won't be flagged and I'm good to go. I wouldn't take the chance without running it by my company first. I'd probably just travel within the states if my company had an issue with leaving me the country.

Problem is, if you connect to the vpn, your company will have your location. Might get your account flagged and locked from accessing the vpn until you explain why your location is showing up in Europe when your home address and work location is in the USA. Keeping a laptop in the US while remotely connecting to it from overseas might be able to fix that issue, if there’s a way for IT to not find out about you remoting in

I work in IT and we have people in the company that will travel the world with their laptops. They have no issue when they travel these countries with their laptops. Now you attempting to access your machine remotely from another IP definitely could raise some eyebrows. It's easier to just have the convo and make sure you're able to take your laptop with you if you need to travel. Not many companies have an issue with this as long as the work is getting done.

Depends on your company policy, def check first but less likely it's an issue if it's an international company. Either way folks use your brains and avoid putting in trouble tickets to help troubleshoot your connection from your foreign villa.

2 guys I know did it. One went to some island, I cant remember but he had a blast, was smashin yambs galore, eating good, and working.

The other went to Brazil at like the beginning of COVID. From the videos and pics that man is living like a King....he lives there permanently now.

I moved from the UK to Spain for the past 5 months but seems like it's coming to an end (end of fiscal year in my company and could get in trouble in terms of taxes if they catch me)

I moved from the UK to Spain for the past 5 months but seems like it's coming to an end (end of fiscal year in my company and could get in trouble in terms of taxes if they catch me)
The_Real_Story_Behind_Black_Guy_On_The_Phone_Meme-500x500.jpg

Got back last week. Really lived SD- got into a routine, was added to group messages for sports, saw all my friends multiple times, made new friends, and attended local events. Trip was very refreshing overall which was much-needed after a rough end to 2022. Good to see friends and family now that I'm home, but seriously considering moving out there. Feels weird to be back...almost like creating a new video game save file and then coming back to your old save file.

Highly recommend anyone thinking of doing this to do so.

SD is dope…I wanted to stay out there longer when I was there too so I feel you OP :lol: :pimp:

Currently working in Texas for a lil over a week, I shoulda packed for more time and extend my days here

SD is dope…I wanted to stay out there longer when I was there too so I feel you OP :lol: :pimp:

Currently working in Texas for a lil over a week, I shoulda packed for more time and extend my days here
Hard to fit in everything especially if just there for one set of weekends so don't blame you.

sd is beautiful but man the food sucks there
Really? Found that to be the opposite. Or do you just mean food outside of Mexican, Asian, and seafood?

Back
Top Bottom