Anyone with experience in small claims litigation? Preparing to take local streetwear shop to court

Long story short:
Gave approximately 5k worth of sneakers to a local streetwear/hip-hop shop to sell for me on consignment back in April. I've sold several pair with minimal hassle (would have to post date checks from time to time), but all in all I always got paid. A week ago, I went in to check on my stuff and they indicated a former employee bought several pairs of my things using a stolen card. The shop now owes me over $1600 and the owner has been ducking me for several days. I'm getting the impression that he will not compensate me for what he owes me.

Questions I have:
Do I need to wait a certain amount of time before getting a small claims attorney?
With consignment, am I assume all risk in this case?
Can I sue for owed funds, as well as legal fees?

Facts:
-I was presented with bank documents indicating fraud, but was not able to keep docs.
-I have been paid out by this place 5x previously.
-I live in Chicago

Thanks in advance for any support that can be provided.

The cosignee is never held responsible for the items, so the risk is on you, but regardless of means, the products were sold. Don't wait to get a lawyer. Present the details of your situation to one as soon as possible because this is a sticky one.

-I live in Chicago

You already know what to do...

If you didnt know The Mathis show films in Chicago.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom