Anyone work at an Amazon Fullfillment Center? I've got questions

Comp is pretty important here considering the move, someone familiar with that area's COL should chime in. For instance that 100k wouldn't be worth it CA at all.

That’s what I’m saying, like is he making 40k now or something?

It would have to be a HUGE raise to get me to move across country if I wasn’t already planning on moving.

Even then what’s cost of living like where he’s at now?

Just remember Amazon made somebody cry on here

Bro wants to go work for a company that makes its employees wear ankle monitors.

How are you gonna feel when you gotta fire someone when their ankle monitor beeps at them 3 times in a day or you catch them peeing in a bottle in the corner?

Come on,

Wife’s cousin works for amazon
Does something with auditing
She likes it
Worked in Seattle
She has worked for amazon for like 10 years
Her husband in the military and they let her relocate to Georgia and same position
About a month or 2 ago
We all use her amazon prime
And employee discount

10 years on Amazon employee share program must be a nice stack today :nthat:

OP i would definitely do an incremental comparison of your situation if you were to move considering cost of living and general quality of life. It really depends on your current situation.

I worked at a amazon center as a warehouse worker once...folks shaking once they come check ya times on the scanner.

You’d have to pay me at least 200k a year to move cross country and live in Portland Oregon.

It’s expensive
Weird wypeepo
Hipster capital of the world
Amazon
Antifa and white supremicists protests nonstop
Nothing to do
Terrible weather

At 100k you’re not gonna be saving up money. You’re not going to be buying property. What’s the point?

Just go work for Costco. Warehouse managers make bank and you don’t have to work for the devil.

For 200 hell yeah, 100 mehhhhh. Depends on what I’m getting now.

Portland is that boring, huh?
interesting that someone said atl > Portland as far as things to do. If there's any truth to that that's a no go. might as well stay in atl. atl is dope.

I don't know where people are getting this Portland is boring idea from. If you like outdoorsy type stuff then you'll love it because there are a ton of parks close by and there are great hikes/campsites that are a 30-45 minute drive away. I'm not the outdoorsy type by any means, but there are plenty of other things to do as well (breweries, Blazers, Timbers, restaurants). As far as diversity is concerned that would be my one knock, but it is true the white women love black men for the most part. Compared to other US major metropolitan cities Portland is definitely lacking in some areas however the food is flat out amazing.

As for Amazon my wife worked for AWS for a while. Amazon will throw tons of money, a fat signing bonus and stock at you, but they are going to work you into the ground. She was expected to work 70+ hours a week. Most of the people she talked to her first week told her to run and never look back because they had been there for years and were still expected to work like it's a start-up company. I have heard the fulfillment centers are worse. Amazon has some nice pluses but overall I would say it's not worth it considering the amount of your life they expect you to give up for them.

Last edited:
You’d have to pay me at least 200k a year to move cross country and live in Portland Oregon.

It’s expensive
Weird wypeepo
Amazon
Nothing to do
Terrible weather

At 100k you’re not gonna be saving up money. You’re not going to be buying property. What’s the point?

My end goal wouldn't be to stay in Portland or working at a Fulfillment center forever. One of the good things about working for a big company like Amazon is that once you're in, you can maneuver into different roles. The way I'd imagine, I'd work there for a year or so then move into a corporate role in another city. This certainly isn't the endpoint. Also, I don't mind the PNW, I lived near Seattle for 3 years and really enjoyed it, the weather isn't an issue for me.

My end goal wouldn't be to stay in Portland or working at a Fulfillment center forever. One of the good things about working for a big company like Amazon is that once you're in, you can maneuver into different roles. The way I'd imagine, I'd work there for a year or so then move into a corporate role in another city. This certainly isn't the endpoint. Also, I don't mind the PNW, I lived near Seattle for 3 years and really enjoyed it, the weather isn't an issue for me.

That makes sense then. 1 year ain’t bad for sure

Sounds like you've already made up your mind.

Sounds like you've already made up your mind.

I have my views on what the long-term job prospects within Amazon are, I'm trying to see if anyone has worked at a Fulfillment center before and see what their experiences have been like.

Why do you think they would promote you and move you all over the country?

That's what I've heard about Amazon. If you show your worth, you can get promoted quickly and move around within the company. Obviously, I don't know for sure but that's what I've heard from others.

...and one of the most racist cities in the US so I've read too

I wouldnt compare it to the deep south, but its pretty racist for a major city on the west coast.

It’s expensive
Weird wypeepo
Amazon
Nothing to do
Terrible weather

Spot on.

I’ve only heard they have the most stripclubs and have hipsters.

Quality>quantity.

Most chicks up in there are flat chested borderline meth heads.

You can get steak n eggs for bout $7.99 though.

Back
Top Bottom