Apartment Renting in NYC

Been saving up some months now on moving out. Thinking of heading out to Queens. Anyone who lives in NYC, how did you guys get your apartments? newspaper, realtor or something, craigslist? most of the deals there r fishy but im sure some are true. any advice would be helpful thanks

Craiglist is great, specially if you are looking for roommates, which if you are single, wouldn't be a bad idea bro...just don't fall for the "I'm on a mission out in Africa, PayPal me xxxxx for the deposit and the keys are in a lockbox somewhere in NY" scam

When I lived in Queens, I went thru Craigslist and then a realtor.

Just make sure you do a THOROUGH check of the place before you put any money down (open cabinets, drawers, etc for critters). If it's in a building, look at reviews etc....and get yourself RENTERS INSURANCE!!!!!

Best of luck homie

Room with an NTer...I'd do it if I was 22 and single....have NT Themed apartment
bfe15f69a6b6fa20a2956815c5e1a03ffcddf92.gif

GL, I have been searching for an apt in Brooklyn for about 3 weeks now, and it has been extremely stressful.

Queens is a great choice.  My friends have been able to find great apartments there through craigslist.

Originally Posted by JohnnyRedStorm

I need to get an apartment. Living at home is terrible.

This. Im on save mode, want to have 4 to 5 months savings. My credit is good and free, just want cash to back me up. Biggest fear is moving out and coming back home because of hard times, thats why im trying to prepare the best i can. 

im on the same boat right now...i turn 23 in january and the whole sneaking *%+%$$ up the stairs in my moms house thing is getting played

We found our spot on craigslist... been here for a year and a half now. I'd definitely make sure you're renting from a company and not private.. People who rent out private homes always try to screw you over. I've had no problems with my situation.. they even kept my rent the same when I renewed our lease and didn't charge extra like they usually do.

Craigslist

However, what I've learned over the past three years (3 diff apartments in Manhattan) is that all the realtors all share the same exact overall listings - as stated by the people we dealt with. We went to 5 different brokers for my last apartment and they all tried to show us the same apartments we had seen from the previous realtors via Craigslist.

100% ALWAYS check the place out for yourself and don't get hassled in to paying fees. They have a lot more room than they give off to negotiate rent and to waive various fees.

Back
Top Bottom