Are "bandwagon" accusations the new go-to insult for successful teams?

bandwagon fans are corny. i know giants "fans" who were wearing green the past 2 seasons who got real tight when i called them out on that.

hell if the mets ever become relevant again i dread seeing all the new mets fans.

Originally Posted by rck2sactown

Originally Posted by do work son

i think it's people just frustrated because when your team was doing bad you were silent. now that they're doing well you got get out of my face with it. i think people just don't like the separate extremes of it all
exactly..... I'm almost dreading the day the kings become quasi-relevant (save the jokes...), it'll be like the SF Giants and Niners all over again
laugh.gif

And all the warriors and lakers fans up here jump ship again back to the home team
laugh.gif
30t6p3b.gif

Hey Ravage, imagine the flack I would catch here if the teams I root for weren't already known for the past 8 years. I feel like I have hit the lottery this year, come on Bulls & Blackhawks
laugh.gif

To answer your question I think labeling someone bandwagon from the jump is just a cynical reflex for most.

@Peteweezy - I don't see what's wrong with supporting your local teams when your favorite teams aren't in it. I don't hate the Mets, Jets, Islanders, etc. They aren't my favorite and sometimes their fans might annoy me but at the end of the day I like anything that sheds a good light on my town so a win from them is welcome.

@First Born - I don't even think my issue is with people being labelled bandwagoners. It just irks me when people try to take shots at my team because there are bandwagon fans. It has so little to do with what's actually important and relevant yet dudes throw it out there with a nice smirk on their face as if they've somehow won the battle while losing the war lol.

i think it's people just frustrated because when your team was doing bad you were silent. now that they're doing well you got get out of my face with it. i think people just don't like the separate extremes of it all

What would one have to say when their team is doing bad though?... I don't like talking about my teams when they're losing 'cause it, well, sucks. But when they're hot, I'm hyped and I brag/talk +$#%/whatever.

Originally Posted by theDEEK

exactly..... I'm almost dreading the day the kings become quasi-relevant (save the jokes...), it'll be like the SF Giants and Niners all over again
laugh.gif

And all the warriors and lakers fans up here jump ship again back to the home team
laugh.gif
30t6p3b.gif
Not me, amigo. It's more like the Kings and Warriors up here jump ship again back and forth on whoever is winning. 

CLIPPER FANS. Even last year when Blake started playing, Staples was maybe 1/3 full. After getting Chris Paul 
sick.gif
It's like all the lame @#$ bandwagon Laker fans switched to the Clippers (can't even call them successful since they haven't done @#$%). Even on my Facebook, all I see is "Just got tickets to tomorrow's game. Lob City <3" when 2 years ago they were saying "I wish I was Mrs. Bryant. Go Lakers <3". When they get called out, they say "But it's still LA
eyes.gif
". In that case it would be acceptable to be both White Sox/Cubs, Giants/A's, 49ers/Raiders, Giants/Jets, Yankees/Mets fans
indifferent.gif
I don't even hate Laker fans anymore cause now it seems that only their real fans are left 
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by westcoastsfinest

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
30t6p3b.gif
Not me, amigo. It's more like the Kings and Warriors up here jump ship again back and forth on whoever is winning. 

laugh.gif
Kings/Warriors winning
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
frown.gif
Feelss Batman

I wasn't a Bronco fan until John Elway so does that make me a bandwagoner cause I wasn't with the team when they had Steve DeBerg?
laugh.gif

So much "You don't get it" so far in here.
laugh.gif

People don't like fans that are quiet when their team is doing bad, but get loud when the team is doing good? YOU DON'T GET IT; nobody wants to hear fans of a bad team.
laugh.gif
Like, the Giants just won the Super Bowl: now what the hell would I look like bragging about my Titans, and we didn't even make the playoffs?
laugh.gif
Or go back to the last stretch of the season, when we were basically on the outside looking in, while other teams were already making their playoff preparations. What do I look like trying to get loud and rowdy to fans of a team with a first round bye?
laugh.gif
And you guys know what I'm talking about, because you guys make it this way when anytime someone presents you with something you can't argue against and you just say "Wait, aren't you a _______s fan? Your team didn't even make the playoffs. Get the hell out here. I don't even know why am arguing with you."

Next point: people getting insulted when someone calls you a bandwagon fan. YOU DON'T GET IT; the fact that you're insulted by that is exactly why people continue to do it. Me? I don't give two **+$+.
laugh.gif
But there are tons of sports fans that honestly get insulted/riled up at someone questioning their allegiance, and that's why there are tons of sports fans out there questioning allegiances.

Third, you know that this is the internet, but it seems YOU DON'T GET IT; when people on the internet don't like what you're saying, they call you a hater, bandwagon, troll, d-rider, or stan. Or ignorant/stupid about the topic. Why? Re-read the previous paragraph. The end.

Originally Posted by 23ska909red02

So much "You don't get it" so far in here.
laugh.gif

People don't like fans that are quiet when their team is doing bad, but get loud when the team is doing good? YOU DON'T GET IT; nobody wants to hear fans of a bad team.
laugh.gif
Like, the Giants just won the Super Bowl: now what the hell would I look like bragging about my Titans, and we didn't even make the playoffs?
laugh.gif
Or go back to the last stretch of the season, when we were basically on the outside looking in, while other teams were already making their playoff preparations. What do I look like trying to get loud and rowdy to fans of a team with a first round bye?
laugh.gif
And you guys know what I'm talking about, because you guys make it this way when anytime someone presents you with something you can't argue against and you just say "Wait, aren't you a _______s fan? Your team didn't even make the playoffs. Get the hell out here. I don't even know why am arguing with you."
I don't necessarily dislike fans who are quiet when their teams suck. I dislike fans who switch squads when their original teams start underperforming. I mean honestly (I'm assuming you're from SoCal): How many Clipper fans did you know growing up? How many of them rooted for the Clippers and went to their games outside of the few years they went to the playoffs? In college, every person I knew/met from LA or San Diego was a Lakers fan (and this a school with a 60-70% SoCal population). Now they're spamming facebook with pictures of them at Clippers games or links to that dumb @#$ "Lob City" song?
laugh.gif
THOSE are the bandwagon fans I hate.

Originally Posted by westcoastsfinest

laugh.gif
30t6p3b.gif

laugh.gif
Kings/Warriors winning
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
frown.gif
Feelss Batman
During the heat of our rivalry, Kings jerseys were all over the place then when the Warriors made the playoffs everyone jumped back on the Warriors. 
laugh.gif

But like I said before, bandwagons tend to follow when teams start winning. It's just the way it is. 

I kinda missed our rivalry, it was fun hating you guys. Just for you bro. 

7219-feels-batman.jpg

what about those fans who cheer for non local teams because they follow that 1 superstar? like following the lakers or bulls because they got d rose and kobe... but i bet if thoese 2 guys were on garbage teams like the raptors and bobcats nobody would care

Their are alot of go-to cliche putdowns. "Ughh, those fans are: stupid, bandwagoners, act obnoxious, loudmouths, etc."
Try being a Cowboys fan and see how irritating it gets.

Even with that being said, I couldn't care less about bandwagon fans.  Bandwagon fans, or casual fans, are fine in my book

You've made so many posts crying and accusing people about being bandwagon fans. Now their fine in your book?

nawlinsjunkie:
I don't necessarily dislike fans who are quiet when their teams suck. I dislike fans who switch squads when their original teams start underperforming. I mean honestly (I'm assuming you're from SoCal): How many Clipper fans did you know growing up? How many of them rooted for the Clippers and went to their games outside of the few years they went to the playoffs? In college, every person I knew/met from LA or San Diego was a Lakers fan (and this a school with a 60-70% SoCal population). Now they're spamming facebook with pictures of them at Clippers games or links to that dumb @#$ "Lob City" song?
laugh.gif
THOSE are the bandwagon fans I hate.

Oh, trust me, I feel you. You're right, I did grow up in SoCal (909
smokin.gif
), and no, they were definitely NNNOOOOO Clippers fans when I was a kid. Period.
laugh.gif
And it's not like they were just being quiet because the Lakers were better and they didn't want to get loud and rowdy when they knew they were inferior; no, they just didn't exist.
laugh.gif
How do I know? Because I remember Clipper games.

I've mentioned before that I grew up in foster homes and group homes and detention centers and what not. Well, the Clippers used to just GIVE tickets away to places like that. And it was like the Marlins now; we'd go to the game with our tickets way up in the nosebleeds, and end up watching the game like 12, 13, 14 rows back from the action.
laugh.gif
And every time, there couldn't have been 5000 fans in the building. No way.
laugh.gif

But now there are ALLL these people talking about how they've been down with the Clippers since Piatkowski and Manning? (
laugh.gif
@ any Clipper fan googling those two names right now so they can use them in a later argument about how long they've been a fan). I mean, I remember being at those games for free and seeing more Laker jerseys than Clipper jerseys. But now? Talk of the town.

I mean, what are you gonna do? Someone wants to say they deserve the Clippers success right now because they suffered through the Loy Vaught era? (just heard a few more 'tenured' Clippers fans run off to google again). You can't approve/disprove them so... it's like that Alonzo Mourning gif. *nod your head a couple times... shrug*

I don't see a big deal with picking a team based on how good they are, as long as you stick with that team. For example, if you were looking for an NBA team to follow in the 90's and you decide the Bulls are you favourite team thats fine. As long as you stick with them through thick and thin I don't have a problem with that.

What I look down on are people who constant change teams based on who's good at that particular time.

Not necessarily. It just happens that a good majority of the most successful teams have the most casual bandwagon fans of any sport. I don't have a problem with it, unless they're talking !%%$ about your team and portray themselves as better than you somehow just because of the team they root for.

I am a Cubs fan.Been that way since I was 12 years old.I am 28 now.I was a Cris Carter fan.So I stuck with the vikings.Isiah Thomas fan,so I stuck with the pistons.i know my teams suck now but we can't be bad forever

It's hard to explain, everyone feels differently about this. I feel like we're all born into our teams UNLESS your parents or guardians or whoever influenced you didn't watch sports. My family left Puerto Rico in the 50s and moved to NY. I've been in VA for around 8 years now. People think that I'm on the wagon of the Giants and Yankees. I've been laughed at since I moved here about being a Knicks fan but now we have some stars I get the side eye. My uncles are PSYCHOTIC fans, sports were never a joke. Used to watch our teams all the time with them. I wasn't allowed to wear a red Yankee fitted in the late 90s because my uncle said it was disrespectful to our boys. My friends had them but I wasn't allowed.

Now some people I know, they weren't raised on sports and just like a random team, I'm fine with that. If you liked their colors as a kid or their star player, that works.

But when you're a fan of the Cowboys/Steelers or the Yankees/Cardinals or the Bulls/Lakers. It's just a little too much for me, you only like teams with mad rings, that's corny son.

Originally Posted by Ballerific703

It's hard to explain, everyone feels differently about this. I feel like we're all born into our teams UNLESS your parents or guardians or whoever influenced you didn't watch sports. 

Not necessarily. I was born and raised in a city (Winnipeg) that until this year did not have a major league sports team. So as I got into various sports I developed favourite teams based on a variety of reasons. For instance, I received a SI for Kids magazine when I was 10 with Donovan McNabb on the cover and a poster of him so that led me to follow the Eagles.

i meant more along the lines of, not owning your team. "oh i really dont care about them like that" when they're losing, but when they're winning all of a sudden it's "im a die hard fan since day 1!"

Originally Posted by hawkflight6

Originally Posted by Ballerific703

It's hard to explain, everyone feels differently about this. I feel like we're all born into our teams UNLESS your parents or guardians or whoever influenced you didn't watch sports. 

Not necessarily. I was born and raised in a city (Winnipeg) that until this year did not have a major league sports team. So as I got into various sports I developed favourite teams based on a variety of reasons. For instance, I received a SI for Kids magazine when I was 10 with Donovan McNabb on the cover and a poster of him so that led me to follow the Eagles.
I said something similar to that in my post, that's cool. As kids we all see see star athletes and so on.

Back
Top Bottom