Are DJ's musicians?

What do you guys think, are dj's musicians? I have had this debate with my roommates, and only me and another friend who listens to EDM think that dj's are musicians. This does not have to be limited to just EDM, since dj's can scratch and do other things too.
People think because mixing music and producing EDM is done on the computer, that it is a "lesser" form of music or something. In my POV, the computer is one big *+% keyboard, with an infinite number of keys and corresponding sounds. 

Enlighten me and my roommates 

DJ= disc jockey

Disc jockeys are not musicians. They mix records together and play other people's music.

What you are talking about, in the world of edm, are DJs who also PRODUCE music. Guetta, Avicii, Tiesto are more producers then DJs. They make their own music and don't just spin other peoples stuff.

In regards to comparing classic instruments (cello, piano, guitar etc) and computers I will say that it is easier to learn a classical instrument but more difficult to master than compared to computer music.

You can see kids like Avicii learn how to use Ableton and a keyboard and make a top charting hit in a year or two. The best cello players and piano players take their entire lifetime to fully develop their skills and become masters.

my opinion.

not the ones that play at the club. its not even hard. its all bpms and picking what to play next. its all a popularity contest after all that.

Not the DJ Khaled types. You know, the ones who pile a bunch of random rappers on one song and slap their name
on the front cover like they really did something.

While playing live, some mash-ups come to you while on stage, and as you play both songs, you create a new wonderful song, which is creating music, so i guess dj's are musicians lol

They are more like collage artists.  Some DJ's will be producing live but most of them are just selecting songs and transitioning between them seamlessly.

how me and my roommates arrived at this debate was through a game of, "guess who i am." the category was dead celebs, and my friend had DJ AM. he asked if, "i was a musician," and we responded with "yes." According to my friend, the yes response threw him off and made him unable to guess who he was.
In my opinion, DJ AM was a musician. Many people imitate, only some people can innovate. 

mu·si·cian   [myoo-zish-uhn]  Show IPA

noun

1. a person who makes music  a profession, especially as a performer of music.

2. any person, whether professional or not, skilled in music.

so yes.

Adam was the greatest DJ I've ever had the pleasure of knowing and he was also one of the greatest musical minds I've ever known. His knowledge was extensive and the things he was able to do with a turntable were fantastic. What separated Adam from 99.9 % of DJ's was his ability to play to any crowd, at any time, and eventually have each individual dancing. That makes him a musician in my eyes. I was very blessed to have Adam show me the ropes back in the day, and will always appreciate his insight and musical knowledge.

Back
Top Bottom