Are Jordans worth buying if you never watched MJ growing up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am 17 and I like Jordans because they look good and represent the greatest player of all time. I feel  I have a fair knowledge of Jordan for my age. However, whenever a new release comes out, especially with these increased remastered prices, I feel that I shouldn't really be spending that much on Jordans if I never watched him play. For example, these new Jordan 1s are coming out to commemerate a time when Jordan broke the backboard in an exhibition game. http://www.nikeblog.com/2015/03/27/latest-air-jordan-1-high-og-celebrates-mjs-shattered-backboard/. I never knew about that moment before. Are Jordans worth buying if you didn't watch MJ growing up? 

There are a very small number of Jordans that I buy because they bring back a memory of the man himself, and a few that bring me back to a specific time and place.  Overall I buy the shoes because I like them.

Whether you know who MJ was or not, but you like the shoe then buy it.  If you are just caught up in the hype then let it be

If you like the shoe, buy it.
Basically. Try not to overthink it.

Also, if you've got a fair amount of knowledge about his shoes and his career that puts you ahead of most people your age who buy Jordans. Don't look at it like "I shouldn't buy this shoe because I didn't know that happened," rather signature shoes are a great way to learn more about players because their personal input is included in the design. For example, I doubt many people knew KD loved peanut butter and jelly until he made a shoe based on one of his favorite foods.

I was too young to watch MJ in the 80s, but that doesn't mean I can't buy Jordan's 1-4.

Age is nothing but a number. With that said, you do not need to know the history to buy Jordans, just bring your cash and you are set. Don't believe that nonsense.

Last edited:
If u like em buy em, they r just like any other shoes. For me, I had em growing up and certain pairs and cw's I have to have for nostalgia purposes. 1-6 are just timeless to me.

As someone who grew up in the 90s and watched MJ play and idolized the man growing up, IDGAF about what he wore. I buy Jordans because I like them.

The same way I buy my Lebrons. I can't stand that guy and cheer against Miami and Cleveland every night, but I still buy his shoes.¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Whether or not you saw him play, Jordan shoes are dope and if some kicks have meaning then thats an extra bonus. 

I watched Jordan play in the late 80s to when he retired played retired again so when I see certain jays
that brings me back when I use to play playground b-ball but its about what you like all that extra stuff is for hype

Basically. Try not to overthink it.

Also, if you've got a fair amount of knowledge about his shoes and his career that puts you ahead of most people your age who buy Jordans. Don't look at it like "I shouldn't buy this shoe because I didn't know that happened," rather signature shoes are a great way to learn more about players because their personal input is included in the design. For example, I doubt many people knew KD loved peanut butter and jelly until he made a shoe based on one of his favorite foods.
Essentially this. ^

If anything the shoes get you more interested in Jordan the player which in turn gets you even more interested in the shoes. It all kind of feeds into itself.

Buy what you like you. You don't always need to understand the meaning or history behind a product in order to own it. In all actuality you never do. You could buy the shoes because you had $200 you didn't want anymore. You could buy the shoes then throw em in the trash for all you care. Do whatever you want.

As someone who grew up in the 90s and watched MJ play and idolized the man growing up, IDGAF about what he wore. I buy Jordans because I like them.

The same way I buy my Lebrons. I can't stand that guy and cheer against Miami and Cleveland every night, but I still buy his shoes.¯\_(ツ)_/¯
fam did you just describe me :lol:

All of what he said [emoji]128070[/emoji]

If u like it, buy it

I feel that I shouldn't really be spending that much on Jordans if I never watched him play. For example, these new Jordan 1s are coming out to commemerate a time when Jordan broke the backboard in an exhibition game. http://www.nikeblog.com/2015/03/27/latest-air-jordan-1-high-og-celebrates-mjs-shattered-backboard/. I never knew about that moment before. Are Jordans worth buying if you didn't watch MJ growing up? 
It's not so much that you didn't watch him play that matters. You just need to NOT fall for all this Bogus hype and buy what you truly like. a perfect example was those "shattered backboards" you mentioned. Not many people knew about this unless they saw it in documentarys or youtube or somewhere else. Now, when has it ever mattered to the masses? Never right? so why should we all rush out and drop $160 on a Jordan 1 just because nike says it's to represent that moment? Who the hell cares is what we should be saying. It's 2015. You aren't buying a piece of history, you're just being a nike fanboy for no reason imo. It's cool if people that like them cop but when everyone starts hyping them up and dropping hundreds that's where it starts to look just plain silly to me.

Buy what you like, you don't need to justify why you buy shoes to no one but yourself bro. Stand up for what you like, if you like buy them, if you dont keep it movin. You will understand once you get out of high school.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom