Are Resellers the REAL problem??

After the Concord nightmare, I see lots of complaints aboutthe current sneaker culture... and people suggesting what JB/nike can do tocontrol the rot in our hobby that we love so much. The fall guy is none otherthan the hated RESELLER. Yes, they are a problem but I think it is totally OURFAULT for what is happening today. WE ARE THE ONES FEEDING THE HYPE WHEN WE PAYFOR SHOES OVER RETAIL.

RAISING PRICES: If JB/Nike raise prices higher (its alreadyhigh btw) will that stop riots, camping, websites crashing, buying another sizeto trade for your own size and even hyping on NT, etc? Many people will not beable to afford the shoes but that doesn't mean the rich won't pay over retailto get a pair. In that case it is even more attractive to be a reseller as theyare now selling to the rich who can/are willing to pay more. Again... Feedingresellers.

FLOODING THE MARKETING: JB flooding the market will onlybenefit resellers as they now have more stock to hoard because there is DEMAND= Again, as long as there are sneaker heads willing to pay more than retailthere is good reason why a reseller should buy up all the stock. The truesneaker head still can't get his/her shoes on RD and then FEED the reselleragain by paying more than retail.

RAISING and FLOODING: Both will not happen together asJB/Nike won't do it. You can't make a super expensive shoe and flood it intothe market as they will only end up on sales racks... thus, ruining their brandand market value. They will CONTINUE to limit and hype their products as it isin JB/Nike's interest as a BUSINESS.

WHAT CAN WE DO??: The answer is actually very simple...

1) STOP PAYING OVER RETAIL - If we can't get our shoes on RDfor retail then DONT and move one to the next. Look for bargains on eBay thatare less than retail.

2) STOP BUYING - Not forever but why not just try it for2012? You know JB/Nike will release these kicks a few years down the lineanyways??

Remember, no resellers = more shoes, lower prices, and a better buying experience. So think aboutit before you pull the trigger on a pair over $200.00 THAT YOU ARE FEEDING THEROT!

If you still pull the trigger then shut up with allcomplaints and bickering about resellers and how ugly the shoe “game

If we don't buy on RD because resellers have bought multiple pairs then there are NO BARGAINS ON EBAY coz prices are through the roof.
I've said it in the other 100 threads on this and topics like it.

"THIS IS NOW THE STATE OF THE HOBBY AND PEOPLE JUST HAVE TO DEAL WITH IT"

I am a business major. Graduated in Accounting in a top 10 accounting program, now I am finishing grad school. Although Im accounting they gave us a solid background on everything, however I will not get into this again. I do agree with most of your points though

My response (and this is as far as I will be going into this topic):

I agree, if people decided to stop paying above retail, then we, the sneakerheads won in the fight against resellers. They will simply have to count their losses and stop

Raising prices will work. Lower supply demands higher prices for an equilibrium in supply and demand. The prices that will cause that equilibrium with the current supply are indeed the resale prices (50-100 over depending on the shoe and sometime more), but then you will be asking Nike to demand the prices that resellers demand, all that will do is increase the ease of purchasing the shoe for those willing to pay that much, which isnt the problem. The problem is paying so much, so you are at square one.

Flooding the market will work in the short run: But marketers have marketing down to a science, and Nike seems to be an expert on quickstrike marketing. Basically once everyone has them, they will be seen as a fad, people will stop buying them, and there will be more for us. The problem, when people stop buying them (the demand isnt high) then Nike will be forced to sell them much cheaper (imagine that, selling a shoe that cost $12 to manufacture for less than $160
30t6p3b.gif
) Nike will not cut their profits, they simply will not. Besides when people stop purchasing they will lower supply and then demand will be higher and we will be right back at square one (this is the one paragraph I am not sure I got down completely, sorry. But it is basic economics)

You got the Raising and Flooding down to a T

Either all of those options will really cut their competitive advantage (which is exclusiveness and brand image)

All people can do is stop buying over retail. Which I'm sure a lot of us don't (for me there are a few exceptions, I must have most Jordan IVs and VIs)

But with all the Hollister-clad "sneakerheads" (I love that term I can't remember where I read it) will never allow that to happen.

We just have to accept that Nike changed their image of Jordan Brand from "High Quality Must Haves" to "Exclusiveness is King" SO SLOWLY that we didnt even notice what would happen. This is the state of the game, we have to deal with it.

I believe resellers are a huge part of the problem, but not the exact problem. I do agree with your points as well. People should stop paying over retail, I myself missed out on WC IVs and scoped out prices, saw how ridiculous they were and said "eh, im sure ill get them when the time is right"... I would never pay over retail for a pair of Jordans...NEVER!!! I did pay a good amount for my Yeezys though, but hey... They were doing that stupid raffle *+@.... Anyway if people stop settling and realize that there is a way to stop resellers as well as outsmart them then the game will slightly shift back into normality. We can't forget that hype is strong and buying shoes is cool now, so that is another issue....

Also stores having raffles so it is not just the resellers getting them would help a lot. I am not saying every store should do that because legitimate sneakerheads do camp out (but never for more than a few hours), But at least half the stores should be doing that.

man this will never be finished. not everyone is a true sneakerhead theirs tons of people who just have to have these because they're in now. its a fad for the money which sucks but it will slow down at some point. just sucks because everyone is capitalizing on it.

if i miss the shoe, i miss the shoe. if i really want the shoe, i'll be patient and wait for a good deal. if no deal comes oh well. all in all, its rubber, leather and glue. whether its a reseller or Nike/JB raising the price, nobody is ever really happy with the price changes thats going on.

Great points and ideas, Fam! When I first posted this, it wasn't meant to be a "silver bullet" to make things better. LOL. I accept that buying our favorite Js will never be the same again but I just hate the fact the same people complaining how bad it is were also the ones paying over retail to feed resellers.

I am really disappointed in all the negative news like fights, robberies, riots, shops broken into, mothers leaving their young kids in cars for hours to line up to buy shoes on RD. I am not going to pay over retail anymore because I somehow feel that I am contributing to all the above. Money has dirtied the game... I am making sure my money doesn't directly contribute to all the BS!

I haven't bought a pair of Js since the Concords... Missed out on the cement 4s and they are my all time favorites! And I am not touching another pair that is going to cost over retail. NEVER!

WeE ARE THE PROBLEM. When was the last time you saw a Jordan commerc? And they still sell out we come in here and say man these shoes are going to go for $1000 after rd resellers lurk and are like word then bam you see $1200 presell prices like the clown taking pre sell order for the yeezy 2 for 2500. Then Nike test there limits with prices to see how much we will pay like those ugly asset 2012 or $220. I think no shoe or player is more popular than Jordan and no shoe sells more than Jordan so why are the leborns more? They have a different color every month but we still.pay for them and we also set the resell price buy saying ill pay 800 for these keep it to yourself. When you are looking for a barginfa deal you don't say I'm paying 3x above retail you go up little by little like 50, 100 over but nope ppl are like here all I got come take it.

This topic comes up on Niketalk at least once a week.

My real question to anyone is how are you going to tell the whole world not to buy a product at a higher than retail? If I see a pair I've been looking for, I'll buy it. Not looking to pay a ridiculous amount over retail, but I would if I couldn't get it anywhere else. You think anyone else in the world cares if you didn't get your pair on RD?

If you want to cut the reseller out, do your homework and get your pair on RD for retail or less. Otherwise,

2172562ea3809cd1a4880085e03207db731fe43.gif

Nike isn't going to do anything. Retailers aren't going to do anything. Why You so mad?

Originally Posted by kingofkingz

if i miss the shoe, i miss the shoe. if i really want the shoe, i'll be patient and wait for a good deal. if no deal comes oh well. all in all, its rubber, leather and glue. whether its a reseller or Nike/JB raising the price, nobody is ever really happy with the price changes thats going on.

& no further questions 
pimp.gif

Ultimately the first step to solving this "problem" is to start with yourself.  You can't buy a bunch of kicks over retail and then expect others to not do what you're doing.  So now you've stopped buying kicks over retail, and miss out on certain releases, all you can do is take the loss.  It's either stop buying over retail or change the shoe game yourself by taking over Nike lol.

I cnt stand resellers but instead of complaining about them I had to adapt & step my game up. I've been able to get everything I wanted so far besides the v. red foams but that was my fault nobody else. We just gotta suck it up & deal w/ it

The real problem is the population.

You people have to understand that now the number of people that are into Jordan's is too grand, too many people with their foot in the door, and too many people willing to go the extra mile just to snag a pair, example: camping for multiple days. Concords popularity brought a whole new generation of kids with disposable income into our bandwagon. Think about it, because of the numbers, every release will feel like limited. Just watch, every year the population will pile on and keep growing and Nike won't do anything about it. Just makes it that much harder collecting Jordan's.

Lately, I've been feeling that I should stop. I don't give props or respect to a person for a wearing Jordan's anymore. It used to be an exclusive thing amongst my peers, but now these teens and kids are into it. These teens can't even tell you who Dennis Rodman is
laugh.gif
. And now every time I see a person with Jordan's on, I say to myself, there goes a person where all his priorities lie on his shoes. 

we can't do anything it's as simple as this. Although some of these ideas are good NikeTalk is a very small percentage of the sneakerhead population. More sneakerheads in the world wont see this thread compared to those who do see it. It's is nearly impossible to fix this situation. Some people have money to spend, others dont. If we were all rich we wouldn't give a $%!@ about paying over retail, if you have the money to do it, why not? Some people just don't need to save the extra 50-100 bucks and thats great for them and i know we all wish we could do that. Resellers will never stop and theres nothing we can do, get over it.

BECAUSE THERE ARE PEOPLE WHO ARE SO JADED THEY CAN'T MISS OUT ON A RELEASE.

A LOT OF PEOPLE IN HERE DON'T HAVE THE MINDSET THAT IF I MISS OUT THEN I JUST MISS OUT. THEY MUST HAVE THEM.

THIS OPENS THEM UP TO RECTUM DETERIORATION AS THEY PAY THE RESELLER PRICE.

I ALWAYS PASS THESE TYPES OF PEOPLE DRIVING AROUND IN MY NEW CAR AS THEY ARE TRYING TO CATCH THE BUS IN THEIR NEW JORDANS....

I always say stay patient especially If u dont plan on wearing them for awhile...situations happen people

I don't see what all the complaining and whinig is about. Either do what you have to do to get the shoe at retail or pay extra. The game is not messed up at all. Stop being lazy and sitting behind a computer screen complaining about the people that's going out and getting what they want. If people want to buy multiple pairs to sell then so be it. It's their money and their time and effort that's put into securing their shoes. Everyone has the same opportunity. These grown men with a sense of entitlement to shoes is sickening

the thirst of sneakerheads is the problem, period.

I hope we just stop blaming the resellers...even if resellers put kicks below retail on eBay, thirsty heads will start competing and jack the price up in no time, smh

Originally Posted by sunshineblotters

Flooding the market will work in the short run: But marketers have marketing down to a science, and Nike seems to be an expert on quickstrike marketing. Basically once everyone has them, they will be seen as a fad, people will stop buying them, and there will be more for us. The problem, when people stop buying them (the demand isnt high) then Nike will be forced to sell them much cheaper (imagine that, selling a shoe that cost $12 to manufacture for less than $160
30t6p3b.gif
) Nike will not cut their profits, they simply will not. Besides when people stop purchasing they will lower supply and then demand will be higher and we will be right back at square one (this is the one paragraph I am not sure I got down completely, sorry. But it is basic economics)

When raising the prices what if it creates this false sense of a luxury item? Its already going on with people buying GR shoes acting like they are LVs. I guess my question is if they raise the price will these "sneakerheads" then believe it is a luxury item and then beast for them more?
ohwell.gif

this is the problem and nothing else needs to be said:
this is what we used to get and now THIS is what we get

I don't pay resale prices if I can't get them its on to the next one Nike will release the same shoes in a couple of years anyway.

I've touched on this topic for YEARS. NikeTalk is the actual problem because the general overall consciousness that IS NT cannot agree on truth that doesn't change.

Back
Top Bottom