~Are they really broke?!~

My apologies if this has been posted
happy.gif

Pippen:

-Following the end of his playing career, Pippen was involved in a number of bad business deals that left him nearly broke.
-One-time Chicago Bulls star Scottie Pippen dissolved in tears Monday and gasped as a Cook County jury awarded him a $2 million verdict in a jet deal that went south.

Rick Mahorn:

-Despite making more than $6 million throughout his playing career and pulling in a six figure salary as a Pistons commentator, Mahorn and his wife had just $1,101 dollars to their name when they filed. The couple also listed three late-model cars and a house that's value had decreased by $300,000. Perhaps saddest of all, Mahorn no longer has his championship ring from his days with the Pistons, telling the Detroit News that "it's gone."
Furthermore, he also owes $55 to a local library, which is kind of like terrible icing on the horrible cake.

Eddy Curry:
-Despite that enormous salary — and the fact that Curry has made more than $57 million in his nine-year career — the former No. 4 draft pick is seriously in debt. As the Associated Press reports, Curry defaulted on a $575,000 loan with an 85 percent interest rate, which can only happen in Nevada, and has been ordered to pay back $1.2 million to Allstar Capital Inc., the world's most ironic loan service.

• $30,000 a month for "household expenses."
• $17,000 a month to various relatives including his parents, sister and father-in-law.

• More than $1,000 a month for cable and satellite television.

• $207,000 a month in garnished wages that haven't been elaborated upon, but adds up to almost $2.5 million that Eddy Curry never sees over the course of a year.

• $350,000 to Juwan Howard(notes). (What?)

Curry also owns 12 cars, three of which — a Rolls Royce convertible and two Land Rovers — may be taken by Allstar Capital, though Curry's lawyer says that they have reached "a mutually satisfactory resolution of the matter." Maybe Curry gets one of the Land Rovers and can drive the Rolls to important events? Seems fair to me.

Furthermore, Curry is still involved in that creepy sexual harrassment lawsuit from January of last year. Oh, and he's fighting with lawyers who he says mismanaged his money, leading to the foreclosure of his $3.7 million home near Chicago. Not to mention Curry's son's mother was murdered in January of 2009. Saying it's been a rough 16 months for the former Chicago standout is selling things a little short, I'd say.

My apologies if this has been posted
happy.gif

Pippen:

-Following the end of his playing career, Pippen was involved in a number of bad business deals that left him nearly broke.
-One-time Chicago Bulls star Scottie Pippen dissolved in tears Monday and gasped as a Cook County jury awarded him a $2 million verdict in a jet deal that went south.

Rick Mahorn:

-Despite making more than $6 million throughout his playing career and pulling in a six figure salary as a Pistons commentator, Mahorn and his wife had just $1,101 dollars to their name when they filed. The couple also listed three late-model cars and a house that's value had decreased by $300,000. Perhaps saddest of all, Mahorn no longer has his championship ring from his days with the Pistons, telling the Detroit News that "it's gone."
Furthermore, he also owes $55 to a local library, which is kind of like terrible icing on the horrible cake.

Eddy Curry:
-Despite that enormous salary — and the fact that Curry has made more than $57 million in his nine-year career — the former No. 4 draft pick is seriously in debt. As the Associated Press reports, Curry defaulted on a $575,000 loan with an 85 percent interest rate, which can only happen in Nevada, and has been ordered to pay back $1.2 million to Allstar Capital Inc., the world's most ironic loan service.

• $30,000 a month for "household expenses."
• $17,000 a month to various relatives including his parents, sister and father-in-law.

• More than $1,000 a month for cable and satellite television.

• $207,000 a month in garnished wages that haven't been elaborated upon, but adds up to almost $2.5 million that Eddy Curry never sees over the course of a year.

• $350,000 to Juwan Howard(notes). (What?)

Curry also owns 12 cars, three of which — a Rolls Royce convertible and two Land Rovers — may be taken by Allstar Capital, though Curry's lawyer says that they have reached "a mutually satisfactory resolution of the matter." Maybe Curry gets one of the Land Rovers and can drive the Rolls to important events? Seems fair to me.

Furthermore, Curry is still involved in that creepy sexual harrassment lawsuit from January of last year. Oh, and he's fighting with lawyers who he says mismanaged his money, leading to the foreclosure of his $3.7 million home near Chicago. Not to mention Curry's son's mother was murdered in January of 2009. Saying it's been a rough 16 months for the former Chicago standout is selling things a little short, I'd say.

curry better be working his %@! off to get in shape and improve his bball skills. nba teams are dying for a big man and if he gets his act together he can salvage the latter half of the rest of his career.

curry better be working his %@! off to get in shape and improve his bball skills. nba teams are dying for a big man and if he gets his act together he can salvage the latter half of the rest of his career.

Ahhhh Eddy Curry.

2008-09 - 3 Total Games Played - $9,723,983
2009-10 - 7 Total Games Played - $10,500,423
2010-11 - _ Total Games Played - $11,276,863

Once again..... the NBA........its FAAAANtastic.

Where because you are 6'11'' you can make nearly $70 million dollars before your 28th birthday despite never once averaging 20 PPG or 8 RPG. Or play in one playoff game.

Good thing he was cool stopping at 12 cars.

Ahhhh Eddy Curry.

2008-09 - 3 Total Games Played - $9,723,983
2009-10 - 7 Total Games Played - $10,500,423
2010-11 - _ Total Games Played - $11,276,863

Once again..... the NBA........its FAAAANtastic.

Where because you are 6'11'' you can make nearly $70 million dollars before your 28th birthday despite never once averaging 20 PPG or 8 RPG. Or play in one playoff game.

Good thing he was cool stopping at 12 cars.

Originally Posted by Pistol Maravich

Pippen:

i've read that pippen was broke in a few places...it surprises me though cuz I read the book "jordan rules" a little back and it talked about how pippen grew up super poor and was doing everything in his power at the time to make sure his money was right and that his contract would take care of him and family if something went wrong.

i'd like more info on his financial downfall, just seems weird.

Pippen:

i've read that pippen was broke in a few places...it surprises me though cuz I read the book "jordan rules" a little back and it talked about how pippen grew up super poor and was doing everything in his power at the time to make sure his money was right and that his contract would take care of him and family if something went wrong.

It's not that hard to see how it can happen sometimes - not so much nowadays but in the 80s and 90s when guys were "only" making $1m a season you can see it. (Steve Kerr in his last few years at the Bulls (championship years) had a basic salary of the vets minimum of about $250k).

You retire at 35 with a couple of million in the bank and a decent lifestyle.

Your endorsements dry up and the investments you made don't quite work out - or you are completely taken for a ride because you're just not that financially savvy - even $10m can disappear. Now you're 40 and have $100k to go and not too many career prospects.

Now, guys like 'Toine who wasted almost $100m are a different story - there's really no excuse for that - they could have had a great lifestyle and still kept enough for almost any disaster that came along.

It's not that hard to see how it can happen sometimes - not so much nowadays but in the 80s and 90s when guys were "only" making $1m a season you can see it. (Steve Kerr in his last few years at the Bulls (championship years) had a basic salary of the vets minimum of about $250k).

You retire at 35 with a couple of million in the bank and a decent lifestyle.

Your endorsements dry up and the investments you made don't quite work out - or you are completely taken for a ride because you're just not that financially savvy - even $10m can disappear. Now you're 40 and have $100k to go and not too many career prospects.

Now, guys like 'Toine who wasted almost $100m are a different story - there's really no excuse for that - they could have had a great lifestyle and still kept enough for almost any disaster that came along.

Originally Posted by ashleythetall

Pippen:

Yeah he wanted financial security so he pressed for a long-term deal with the Bulls just as salaries started to rise, which is one reason why there was friction between him and the organization. He still made over $100 million in his career, but he could have made a lot more.

Originally Posted by ashleythetall

Pippen:

Yeah he wanted financial security so he pressed for a long-term deal with the Bulls just as salaries started to rise, which is one reason why there was friction between him and the organization. He still made over $100 million in his career, but he could have made a lot more.

Back
Top Bottom