Are you superstitious?

Are you superstitious?

• Total voters
I'm not really superstitious at all, but I was just visiting with my aunt who is in her 70s and she has a laundry list of wacky stuff that I've never even heard of

- It's bad luck to say thank you when someone gives you flowers
- It's bad luck to leave a house through a different door than the one you entered
- It's bad luck to close a pocket knife that you didn't open
- It's bad luck to let a rocking chair continue rocking after you get up
- It's bad luck to let someone sweep under your feet
- It's bad luck to sweep at night
- It's bad luck to bring an old broom to a new house
- It's bad luck to step over a fallen broom
- Hold your breath when you go past a graveyard or you'll have bad luck

These are just off the top of my head...she has a million of these things

I don’t step on cracks or split poles. I’m 33, and still do this daily. So yep. Amongst other things

I mean I think it only counts as superstition if you actually think it changes outcomes. All these behaviors do is keep me calm. I know doing things in multiples of 5 or making my bed a certain way isnt going to change the actual outcome of my daily events. :rofl:

Anyone with a free thrown routine is superstitious.

Jeff.gif

Not superstitious but lots of old folks in the family were.

Used to get yelled at all the time for stuff like opening up umbrellas inside the house. Of course that just made me want to do it more.

Explain how they are different.

Not saying I disagree but just want to hear your reasoning.

-AMigo
Superstition is a repeated behavior in the hopes of a specific outcome, or avoiding a certain outcome. The expected effect is on something external.

Routine is about personal comfort. The effect is internal. The example picture, Jeff Hornacek, that had nothing to do with his shooting free throws. It was his way of saying hi to his kids during the game. He's doing that for himself, his own comfort, not a desired outcome like a made FT.

Superstition is a repeated behavior in the hopes of a specific outcome, or avoiding a certain outcome. The expected effect is on something external.

Routine is about personal comfort. The effect is internal. The example picture, Jeff Hornacek, that had nothing to do with his shooting free throws. It was his way of saying hi to his kids during the game. He's doing that for himself, his own comfort, not a desired outcome like a made FT.

But what about Free Throw ROutines that are done to calm down the nerves, and get a player in their right mindset in an effort to actually MAKE the free throw.

Because if we are being honest, MOST free throw routines are done to put the player in a certain mental state to make the shot.

So you can argue FT Routines are "external."

Not arguing to argue, just talking

But what about Free Throw ROutines that are done to calm down the nerves, and get a player in their right mindset in an effort to actually MAKE the free throw.

Because if we are being honest, MOST free throw routines are done to put the player in a certain mental state to make the shot.

So you can argue FT Routines are "external."

Not arguing to argue, just talking
Getting in right mental state is totally internal.
Making yourself comfortable? Internal.
Calming your nerves? Internal.

Our routines are to give us comfort; superstitions are to give us a [false] sense of control over something we have little to no control over.

And I am the laaaast person to think that a civil rebuttal is arguing just to argue. I love civil conversations that challenge ideas.

Getting in the right mental state in hopes to achieve a desired external outcome isn't **** I would call "internal. "

I guess the attempted separation of the two is where I am pushing back.

"Superstition is a repeated behavior in the hopes of a specific outcome, or avoiding a certain outcome. The expected effect is on something external."

Players repeat Ft Routines (coupled with shot mechanics) in the hopes of a specific outcome which would be a made shot.

Players don't test/chart free throw % using/not using their ft Routines.

I get what you are saying though.

Again, I'm not too attached to either side. More blurred in my opinion.

-foe

Back
Top Bottom