Asian Culture Discussion Thread

Is it because Filpino cuisine is dominated bu pork?

Not everyone eats pork?

Vietnamese food, Japanese food, Korean food, Chinese food and Thai food have all been huge in America with restaurants all over the place. I've always wondered why Filipino food and restaurants don't have the same success in mainstream/America. I love Filipino food.

Anybody have an idea as to why?
True, I don't understand that either. Some people are missing out.

Although, Filipino food is so bad for you lol.

They should at least have some bbq stick carts. I would hit those up. I have no real interest in Filipino restaurants unless they serve bbq or breakfast so someone needs to open up a breakfast bbq place.

i think because filipino food isn't as presentable as other asian foods

spiral3.jpg
That's horrible man 
laugh.gif

lmao at filipino americans hating on "fobs".

like you special or something.

i feel like there is a huge disconnect between those that grow up in america and those that are immigrating to the states. the contrast of growing up in america and all the influences that a child has growing up there vs. coming from a developing country is hard for some of these teens young adults to accept. they don't realize how much courage and sacrifice it takes to pick up and start a new life in a new country; maybe out of ignorance, or just lack of life experience. not trying to defend these people but i think for the majority its just a natural response, not everyone can empathize with "fobs" so do what they can to prove they are not associated with them. probably not the way it should be, but thats just the way it is.

i was born and raised in texas but now living and working in Thailand. During my travels in asia i've had some internal battles that really challenge what i think about being asian, filipino, american, and asian-american.

Last edited:
i feel like there is a huge disconnect between those that grow up in america and those that are immigrating to the states. the contrast of growing up in america and all the influences that a child has growing up there vs. coming from a developing country is hard for some of these teens young adults to accept. they don't realize how much courage and sacrifice it takes to pick up and start a new life in a new country; maybe out of ignorance, or just lack of life experience. not trying to defend these people but i think for the majority its just a natural response, not everyone can empathize with "fobs" so do what they can to prove they are not associated with them. probably not the way it should be, but thats just the way it is.

i was born and raised in texas but now living and working in Thailand. During my travels in asia i've had some internal battles that really challenge what i think about being asian, filipino, american, and asian-american.
Very interesting! Just curious, what kind of work you do in Thailand?

By the way, has anyone picked up this book?

I might get it this Christmas. One of my goals this year was to learn more about my people.

Asian males aren't considered masculine in the public eye, simply because there aren't any masculine or sexy male characters in media.

You need something like that before public perception of Asians can change. Just look at what's on TV right now. Every role an Asian plays is a nerd or something not cool. Hell, the most non-nerd Asian role is basically Eddie from Fresh Off the Boat :lol:

Asian males aren't considered masculine in the public eye, simply because there aren't any masculine or sexy male characters in media.

You need something like that before public perception of Asians can change. Just look at what's on TV right now. Every role an Asian plays is a nerd or something not cool. Hell, the most non-nerd Asian role is basically Eddie from Fresh Off the Boat :lol:

What about my bruh Steven Yeun from the Walking Dead?

What about my bruh Steven Yeun from the Walking Dead?

True. He bagged Maggie so that's a win.

LOL! She's cute in an Urban Outfitters employee type of way.  But it's funny you guys think she's a "win" for Asian culture....and it's only television, not real life.

They're talking about TV characters aren't they?

LOL! She's cute in an Urban Outfitters employee type of way.  But it's funny you guys think she's a "win" for Asian culture....and it's only television, not real life.

10 years ago, you would never see a male Asian character doing anything heroic in Western media, let alone landing white yambz.

So yes, it is a win. Changing perception in real life begins with media.

10 years ago, you would never see a male Asian character doing anything heroic in Western media, let alone landing white yambz.

rush hour was 17 years ago tho 

rush hour was 17 years ago tho 

caught my pops watching rush hour 2 on the Spanish channel.
had no idea why

Since the topic of Asian men with white women came up, what are your honest thoughts about white men with Asian women?

Since the topic of Asian men with white women came up, what are your honest thoughts about white men with Asian women?
it's all good. my last asian gf was actually in 8th grade and i hook up w women all backgrounds.

adam and brad can kick it with asians if they want. as long as they aint trine holler at my girl

i only ask because living and traveling around asia, i hate the thought and sight of non-asian traveling men treating asia like its their candyland. i think wisith touched on it in a previous post. but some of the arrogance and entitlement some of the foreigners walk around with really hits a nerve with me. and i hate to see those asian women become an item rather than a woman that should be empowered. i understand the perception that they're submissive and inferior will hardly lessen any time soon, as consequence of tourism, but going back to visit the states im sure i will still keep these same sentiments close to mind despite the societal and cultural differences.

Back
Top Bottom