Asian Culture Discussion Thread

Probably get clowned for asking, but anybody watch k-dramas

I've only watched Cheese In The Trap. Their fashion was impressive on that show and was like 80% of the reason I kept watching.

I heard Sky Castle is like the most popular one right now. It's about academic elitism, family, chasing status, etc. Seems like a more 'serious' drama. Might watch it.

Last edited:
I love Kdramas. In 2014 (December) I got into a major car accident. I was bedridden for 6 months & watched everything on Netflix. Stumbled on
Kdramas got hooked on on Angel Eyes.

I've only watched Cheese In The Trap. Their fashion was impressive on that show and was like 80% of the reason I kept watching.

I heard Sky Castle is like the most popular one right now. It's about academic elitism, family, chasing status, etc. Seems like a more 'serious' drama. Might watch it.

I've heard of the Cheese in the Trap one but haven't seen it. But yea fashion is pretty on point in most of the modern kdramas I've seen.

Sky Castle was definitely popular. Think it broke records in terms of viewership for cable tv dramas

I love Kdramas. In 2014 (December) I got into a major car accident. I was bedridden for 6 months & watched everything on Netflix. Stumbled on
Kdramas got hooked on on Angel Eyes.

Yea they can get addictive once you start watching a good one. Good to hear you're alive and well after the accident

What excuse am I making? I said it was disgusting. This happened in Spain. Liverpool fans ravaged Barcelona, attacked Spanish restaurant and hotel workers and random people in the streets. I'm just not jumping the gun and calling it racially motivated. They made racist remarks afterwards but you cant pull out the race card all the time.

Take a moment and look at it without a bias. Old mans ain't fighting back, it's a MOB. You taking an L regardless. Live your life and make people take you serious, you cant cape and be a keyboard warrior.

No, it's definitely racially motivated. English people go overseas and act a fool in certain countries because they think that those people are below them and aren't worthy of respect. They rarely pull these stunts in Northern Europe, Australia, US, etc.

Ask any Southern European or Southeast Asian about how these dudes treat the locals. All those people are good for(to them) are sources of cheap alcohol and "exotic" women. In Barcelona specifically, English fans love to abuse Catalans with violence and anti Catalan/pro fascist chants.

The colonialist mentality still hasn't left a big part of their population. And Spain isn't exempt either. Catalans are generally cool but a large number of Spanish people are racist as ***@, even towards people in their own country/region

To be fair you can say this for most of Europe these days thanks to the increase in far right popularity. Dudes out there are becoming extra bold

Last edited:
Hk needs to up their English teacher qualifications and do some more screening. Too many with criminal records and no college degrees are being let in simply because they have a native tongue. There's a case of kids being molested every week

My thoughts:

English/Australia/other white tourists go to foreign countries with a view that their world is the center of the universe. The general lack of interest in even trying to understand the culture before going, to the "this is so weird why do they do this this way" and getting ****faced and creating unnecessary chaos. Australian tourists are prime examples of destroying **** in Thailand and Bali.

Asian tourists (mainly Chinese) go to foreign countries and simply offend due to their ignorance. They're not there getting piss drunk and destroying property, they're generally ignorant as hell and talk loud, take pictures in places you're not supposed to etc

Both detrimental to the local community, I don't think one's worse than the other, but that's been my experience genreally.

There's racists and ignorant people in every country on earth, no one is denying that. But throughout all the years I've spent traveling, I've only seen Western people (mostly from Anglo countries) going out of their way to physically abuse and/or verbally disrespect locals. It's ironic, because the type of person who does that abroad is usually the one kicking up anti immigrant Brexit, MAGA, etc type rhetoric back home.

Equating Mainland Chinese tourists to violent racists is completely unfair. The ones people complain about are the new money types who don't know any better. At the end of the day though, they're harmless

Last edited:
There's racists and ignorant people in every country on earth, no one is denying that. But throughout all the years I've spent traveling, I've only seen Western people (mostly from Anglo countries) going out of their way to physically abuse and/or verbally disrespect locals. It's ironic, because the type of person who does that abroad is usually the one kicking up anti immigrant Brexit, MAGA, etc type rhetoric back home.

Equating Mainland Chinese to violent racists is completely unfair. The ones people complain about are the new money types who don't know any better. At the end of the day though, they're harmless
Yeah good point. I agree.

So we were watching the Billboard Music Awards and saw the BTS performance.

My 3-year old is now hooked to dancing to their "Boy with Luv" song.

Halp.

Sidenote, it's crazy how big their following is.

Fair enough. It just hurts our reputation too. Although I'm grateful to say I haven't experienced any racism abroad and I've been to a fair amount of European cities

Watching The Spy Next Door. The amount of disrespect and racism those white kids are showing Jackie Chan is crazy. They hate him so much because he’s boring and normal is ridiculous. He should’ve been glazing their mom’s donut (Amber Valetts bae) in every room of their house to shut them up.

So we were watching the Billboard Music Awards and saw the BTS performance.

My 3-year old is now hooked to dancing to their "Boy with Luv" song.

Halp.

Sidenote, it's crazy how big their following is.
I ain't into the music but their talent is undeniable. Never thought I'd see the day white and black women screaming for a bunch of Asian dudes on an American awards show singing in a completely foreign language. **** brings a tear to my eye forreal

I ain't into the music but their talent is undeniable. Never thought I'd see the day white and black women screaming for a bunch of Asian dudes on an American awards show singing in a completely foreign language. **** brings a tear to my eye forreal
It's crazy to see, in a good way.

Next step is for a dude to flourish on pronhub and become a star.

Isnt it crazy how big the height gap is between the current generation of koreans versus previous generations. It's mostly them too, other asians aren't getting that much taller.

I know nothing about music, can you guys explain how kpop has reached heights jpop has not? I would think jpop would have alot of exposure due to anime

Isnt it crazy how big the height gap is between the current generation of koreans versus previous generations. It's mostly them too, other asians aren't getting that much taller.

Them and Chinese are the tallest right? I noticed with my friends and I (we’re Filipino), that our younger bros are taller than us. SMH, I wish I was 5’11 like my bro. I’m about 5’6 and round up to 5’7.

I know nothing about music, can you guys explain how kpop has reached heights jpop has not? I would think jpop would have alot of exposure due to anime

JPOP not even on the map. Kpop groups doing world tours and owning YouTube views records.

besides the music, theres a lot other ways kpop idols become popular such as going on variety shows, acting, competitions, etc.
one of the biggest things I enjoy watching are the variety shows they become guests on.

Also jpop groups are usually HUGE and they focus more on fan service than music/dancing

Back
Top Bottom